Fire destroying items from tipped crucible

If you're having problems with your installation of Better Than Wolves, or if you've woken up in the future and are beginning to doubt the nature of reality, here's the place to post about it.
Educated_Fool

Fire destroying items from tipped crucible

Post by Educated_Fool »

I am having a problem with the fire on the side of stoked fire from hibachis burning the content of a tipped cauldron/crucible. (it's not as silly as it sounds ^_^' )

The full discription of this situation is quite lengthy, so the most of it is in the spoiler:
Spoiler
Show
The setup in which this happens is as in the picture below. (Hibachis are off for clarity)
When the crucible receives mechanical power it will tip to the right and its content will fall through the hole in the hibachi grid, ready to be collected.

The main problem lies in the flames that appear on the side of stoked fire.
For those who do not know what I'm referring to: on the right side of the picture below, there are flames on the side of the stoked fire surrounding the gap.
NOTE: This is not a bug, as FC has stated in this topic.

When the crucible/cauldron is tipped while these flames are present, the items that fall through them are immediately destroyed. In this case the iron bars:
Or in the same situation with concentrated hellfire blocks for clarity:

I did come up with a workaround to the burning. Placing a moulding in the location where the flames appear, stops the flames while letting the items pass.
Unfortunately, this causes the fire on the sides of the hole to revert back to unstoked fire.
Does anyone know a way to make this design fireproof while keeping all 8 hibachis working? I know that, when the crucible is tipped to the side (relative to the bellow), the workaround I mentioned works without unstoking any hibachis. It would however be a rather big task to change some of my builds to that design.
Also, I am reluctant to call this a bug and it makes sense that working with fire is dangerous, but can this be unintended behaviour?
I can see clearly now my brain is gone.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Re: Fire destroying items from tipped crucible

Post by Sarudak »

Why don't you just turn the hibatchis off?
Educated_Fool

Post by Educated_Fool »

That could be an option. I have mainly used this design in my mobtrap (melting iron drops, making kibble) and since I would let those running all the time I never considered turning them off. Thing is that the machines as they are now have waterstreams running directly underneath some of the hibachis, who are powered with levers or redstone torches. So I'm not sure if it is an option for those builds.

Nevertheless, I'll take a look to see whether I can turn off the responsible hibachis when the crucible tips, thanks =)
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

An easy way to turn them 'off' is to release a water flow onto the hibatchis. Then you can tip them and the water flow can take your stuff wherever you want it to go.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Or you can dump the items directly into a water flow neighboring the Crucible, and solve your problem another way.

I do the same thing with a Cauldron processing string off of my mob-trap.
Educated_Fool

Post by Educated_Fool »

@Sarudak: I thought about that one before, but settled on my current design instead because it was easier to build. (Guess lazyness does not pay off in the long-term :P )

@Flowerchild: You make me feel so stupid TT_TT That design is easy, it avoids the problem I described and I can simply use the waterflow that brought the ingredients to those crucibles/cauldrons.
Well, I'm off changing my machines, thanks man!