Sharing useful builds that get the job done

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Six

Re: Sharing useful builds that get the job done

Post by Six »

Rawny wrote:Aren't the pistons superfluous? Assuming all four dispensers have a block to dispense, wouldn't the cooked blocks be pushed into the center hole by the block dispenser placing new, to be cooked, blocks?
In my experience that doesn't always work out for moving items horizontally. I believe they can get pushed into the back corners and not pop out, and just testing it I had some items end up on the very edge by the whole which weren't being pushed off.
TaterBoy wrote:
kjbrona wrote:...And I think piston fed pottery systems look cool as well. :D
I've always liked the look of pottery feed systems pushing a long line of clay blocks, but it bothers me how they require that many clay blocks sitting there 'unused'.
Six

Post by Six »

So someone was talking about melon farms in irc, got me to think about a certain quirk of redstone and... yeah... I think I may have "solved" the small melon/pumpkin farm design:
Spoiler
Show
Uses the same concept as my first post, of 1 unplaceable block in the BD such as a cactus. Can be tiled directly next to itself, and should also work with a grass planter for collecting flowers / grass.
Elevatator

Post by Elevatator »

This one is already in the first post. And yeah, its compact and useful
⠀⠀⠀⢀⣀⣠⣤⣤⣤⣶⣶⣶⣦⡀
⠀⠀⢠⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦
⠀⢀⣾⣿⣿⠟⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠻⣿⣿⣷⣄
⠀⣼⣿⣿⠏⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠘⣿⣿⣿⣧
⣰⣿⣿⣿⡀⠀⢀⣴⣾⠿⣵⣦⠀⠀⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠙⢿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠈⠛⠁⠀⠈⠁⠀⣠⣿⣿⡏
⠀⠀⠻⣿⣿⣷⣤⣀⣀⢀⣀⣠⣾⣿⣿⡿
⠀⠀⠀⠈⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡥⠤⠒⣢
⠀⠀⠀⠀⣀⣽⣿⣿⡿⠿⠿⠛⠉⠁⣀⣤⣶⠟⠁
⠀⠀⢴⣭⣥⣶⣾⣿⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⠁
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣿⣿⣿⡷⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⣧⡀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢾⣿⣿⣿⣤⣤⣤⣤⣤⣼⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁
Mikko_blu

Post by Mikko_blu »

This is my private server with my boyfriend, where we made this. It's a semi automatic cow breeder, and killer. The only reason i say it's semi, is because you have to go and fill the dispensers with wheat. It Sends the animals to the saws when it rains. (Cliche, huh?)

General 'Roaming' Floor you could say. The dispensers above were put there when we first built it, as i was afraid it wasnt producing fast enough.
Spoiler
Show
This is when it's on (Turned on manually)
Spoiler
Show
Animals in their pens. Theres a water stream between any given couple, and it catches the offspring when they mate.
Spoiler
Show
Dispensers, and the decay timer.
Spoiler
Show
The saws that do the dirty work, and the collect chamber!
Spoiler
Show
It was relativity cheap to build! the hardest part was getting the animals in there, but we finally did!
If anyone wants more in depth specs, just let me know.
agentwiggles

Post by agentwiggles »

There's nothing revolutionary in terms of this build in and of itself - it consists of only five blocks. However, the idea behind it, I think, was a pretty good one. I typically set up small outposts all throughout any cave system or mineshaft I explore. They usually contain some chests, a furnace, a crafting table, and maybe a melon farm if it's one that's heavily used.

Anyway, I was getting sick of the pile of near-broken iron tools I had - they're a pain in the ass to transport back to the surface. Now, this small device sits in one of the chests in my most recent outpost. Simple and small to assemble, and relatively cheap, I use this portable crucible to reclaim tools in the field!
Spoiler
Show
BlackCat

Post by BlackCat »

I'll probably be posting here a lot. I make plenty of compact, waterless designs.

Compacted version of Shifty's design for a pottery maker: http://imgur.com/a/e2fLz
Compacted Tree farm (credit to destructo): http://imgur.com/a/NNPnw
No lilypad/cactus 1 wide tileable reed/pumpkin farm: http://i.imgur.com/YNMoi.png
1 Wide tileable double piston extender (still an eternal W.I.P.): http://i.imgur.com/91yfd.png

Have fun! :)
Ribky: eh, maybe kinda iffy at first, but you grew on me like a glorious tumor of innovation
Detritus: A whole lot of walls decided they wanted to give you a hug, but you're allergic to walls

My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/illogicallycompact
Arandia

Post by Arandia »

Just thought I'd put my urn Maker&Baker out there. I tried to get it as compact as possible; the mechanism itself is only 4x4x3. Tack on some extra for stoked hibachis and the redstone timing of course.

The redstone is simply a 16.8-second clock -- a 6-cycle with a div-14 via a BD gives us nearly the shortest possible time for making an urn when the turntable's at max speed. This then gets passed through a monostable, and the two pistons and the BD get poked at just the right time. You can simply adjust the clock speed to make any type of pottery.
Spoiler
Show

finite8

Post by finite8 »

For urn-only creation, i figured out a pretty simple timing mechanism that doesn't use a BUD, Block Dispenser or other complex counting mechanisms.

Set up two turntables two blocks away from eachother. These turntables need to be powered at the same time, so make sure they have the same number of gearboxes between them and the power source. With the block on top of the turntables, place a redstone torch on 3 of the four sides. You are going to make a simple "OR" logic gate by feeding the output of one side into eachother. This way, both Turntables must be rotated with the redstone torch gap before the redstone signal is gone. Set one Turntable to the slowest speed, and the other the 2nd slowest speed.

How this timer works is that they both rotate at different speeds and because of this, we can know when they are both rotated in the same position. This same position will be when both of them are presenting the non-redstone torch side to the redstone wire. If we wire this to a NOT redstone torch, you can then design it so that a Block Dispenser places a Clay block and then one tick alter, a piston pushes it onto a turntable set at maximum speed.

Pro:
- Reduced Soul urn requirements.
- Less Redstone

Cons:
- Can take up a bit more space due to the painful space requirements of a turntable.

I'm at work at the moment, so when i get home, i will try to take some screenshots of this design so it makes more sense.
Flowerchild (IRC) wrote:I'm not trying to stop you BTW ..., I'm saying that I think you're a piece of shit...not the same thing
Six

Post by Six »

finite8 wrote:For urn-only creation, i figured out a pretty simple timing mechanism that doesn't use a BUD, Block Dispenser or other complex counting mechanisms.

Set up two turntables two blocks away from eachother. These turntables need to be powered at the same time, so make sure they have the same number of gearboxes between them and the power source. With the block on top of the turntables, place a redstone torch on 3 of the four sides. You are going to make a simple "OR" logic gate by feeding the output of one side into eachother. This way, both Turntables must be rotated with the redstone torch gap before the redstone signal is gone. Set one Turntable to the slowest speed, and the other the 2nd slowest speed.

How this timer works is that they both rotate at different speeds and because of this, we can know when they are both rotated in the same position. This same position will be when both of them are presenting the non-redstone torch side to the redstone wire. If we wire this to a NOT redstone torch, you can then design it so that a Block Dispenser places a Clay block and then one tick alter, a piston pushes it onto a turntable set at maximum speed.

Pro:
- Less Redstone

Cons:
- Can take up a bit more space due to the painful space requirements of a turntable.

I'm at work at the moment, so when i get home, i will try to take some screenshots of this design so it makes more sense.

Huh, I've never actually considered this before but it makes a lot of sense. The clay changes with each 'full rotation' on a turntable, so a redstone torch on one side of a rotating block would be able to count each of these. This requires further experimentation...
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

finite8 wrote:For urn-only creation, i figured out a pretty simple timing mechanism that doesn't use a BUD, Block Dispenser or other complex counting mechanisms.

Pro:
- Less Redstone

Cons:

If you place the turntables 3 blocks apart instead of 2, they can be run from a central gearbox so they have the same timing, and the NOR gate will be nicely centred between them.
KittenToaster

Post by KittenToaster »

Witchy Farms

Finally managed to generate a hut in a legit world. Yay!

I don't understand the spawning mechanics of these, the best explanation I can come up with is that there is some invisible flagged block in the hut that will spawn witches in a certain block radius, a bit like the way chunks are flagged as slime chunks. I'm perhaps way off the mark with that idea so if anybody knows for certain please enlighten me. ;)

However one thing I have found is that you can tear the whole thing down and rebuild it as a two level spawner. Before you flint and steel the hut make sure you place some reference blocks so you know where the 4 wooden stilts it stood on are and where the original floor level was.
And this is the "useful builds" part if you drop the floor down by ONE block you can then leave a 2 block air gap and build another platform above it.
I think this is more efficient than keeping it as a single level platform spawner as they can spawn in packs, so you often see 3 or 4 spawn at once if there is sufficient space. Hence;

Left it running for a couple of hours and this should give a decent indication of the drop ratio; Sticks / Glass Bottles / Spider Eyes / Healing Potions / Nitre.

I'm glad FC ripped out glowstone / redstone drops from witches as that would have been silly and way OP.

Map seed "t" single character lower case that spawns you near a witch hut, which is good for testing. (Run towards the sun on the horizon from where you spawn, but the hut is visible from spawn point TBH)

Which witch is which? XD
BlackCat

Post by BlackCat »

I made a 1 wide configureable autopottery design.
Spoiler
Show
The bottom BD has nonsolid blocks in it, and 1 torch.

2 nonsolids = Crucibles
4 nonsolids = Planters
6 nonsolids = Vases
8 nonsolids = urns
10 nonsolids = molds (didn't test this but math would have me assume that this is the case)

It would be best just to set up one of each for each kind of pottery, I don't think this design is tileable, but considering how much of a pain it is to tile turntables anyways it isn't much of an inconvenience.
Ribky: eh, maybe kinda iffy at first, but you grew on me like a glorious tumor of innovation
Detritus: A whole lot of walls decided they wanted to give you a hug, but you're allergic to walls

darahalian

Post by darahalian »

BlackCat wrote:I made a 1 wide configureable autopottery design.
You're spinning the pottery on a buddy block on top of a turntable? Man, that is just awesome... The spinning buddy block takes the place of a second counter BD, and it's nice and compact! Very cool design, I like it!
FlowerChild wrote:Remain ever vigilant against the groth menace my friends. Early detection is crucial in avoiding a full-blown groth epidemic.
BlackCat

Post by BlackCat »

darahalian wrote:
You're spinning the pottery on a buddy block on top of a turntable? Man, that is just awesome... The spinning buddy block takes the place of a second counter BD, and it's nice and compact! Very cool design, I like it!
Thanks! I have to say though, without shifty giving me a better understanding of how to go about this I would never have been able to make one in the first place. So he deserves a lot of credit here, I really only just took the concept he came shared and made it smaller.

I plan on making 3 of these in my world, one for urns, one for planters, and one to leave configureable. I also have to thank FC himself for making me aware of the fact that you can spin two blocks, I didn't know that until he said something about it in the IRC.

SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

Man that's a beautiful design. I typically build one machine with switches to select which pottery type I want to make but Im going to play around with this concept. I love it! Never occurred to me to spin the pottery on top of the buddy. Very cool man. I also like that you have space to add a hopper to fill the BD with clay. Makes recycling possible.
Six

Post by Six »

SterlingRed wrote:
Man that's a beautiful design. I typically build one machine with switches to select which pottery type I want to make but Im going to play around with this concept. I love it! Never occurred to me to spin the pottery on top of the buddy. Very cool man. I also like that you have space to add a hopper to fill the BD with clay. Makes recycling possible.
Yeah, that design is pretty amazingly elegant.
shifty

Post by shifty »

BlackCat wrote:
darahalian wrote:
Thanks! I have to say though, without shifty giving me a better understanding of how to go about this I would never have been able to make one in the first place. So he deserves a lot of credit here, I really only just took the concept he came shared and made it smaller.

I plan on making 3 of these in my world, one for urns, one for planters, and one to leave configureable. I also have to thank FC himself for making me aware of the fact that you can spin two blocks, I didn't know that until he said something about it in the IRC.
Wow I never thought of doing it like that. I love how this thread gives people ideas and it just feeds back on itself with better and better designs.
shifty

Post by shifty »

The addition of repeater latches has broken some of my builds, however it did result in me building a better auto kiln:
Spoiler
Show
First of all you don't have to double it up, but it makes sense seeing as the timing circuit/turntable can be shared. The turntable (3rd setting) powers both the bellows and the timing circuit. The timing circuit is two BD with 1 solid and 4 half slabs in each. The BD nearest the front has 1 solid and 4 half slabs, the furthest BD has 4 half slabs then a solid block. The system will place whatever you put into the BD and the piston pushes forwards the smelted ore. Simple no?
BlackCat

Post by BlackCat »

I came up with a few more designs I thought might be worth sharing here.

This first one is basically a mossycobble/mycelium farm, but it can be used to farm any block that triggers a buddy.
Spoiler
Show
The original design was something Six and I worked on together, this particular build of it is tile able and 1 wide.

This second build is similar in concept, but not anywhere near as complex. It's basically a block replacer.
Spoiler
Show
This setup will dispense a block anytime the buddy gets updated, and is generally most useful for automatic soul bottlers.

Rawny

Post by Rawny »

BlackCat wrote:I came up with a few more designs I thought might be worth sharing here.

This first one is basically a mossycobble/mycelium farm, but it can be used to farm any block that triggers a buddy.
Spoiler
Show
The original design was something Six and I worked on together, this particular build of it is tile able and 1 wide.
Good stuff there, think it'll work with mossy and cracked brick? I haven't tried it but ill guess even if the flows are contained they may seem down and rrtrigger the bud... Or maybe ... Hmm... Stupid needing to sleep.
haphazardnuke wrote:"Quick and Easy" is incompatible with Better than Wolves. Try using the patch, "Sense of Accomplishment".
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

<dances>
Gunnerman21

Post by Gunnerman21 »

I agree with FC, the block replacer will need space for the liquid to drip through for it to work.
Spoiler
Show
I am... THE TAXI MAN.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

I tend to avoid using Buddys, so never thought of using them like that.

I like it.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
TheOneGuy

Post by TheOneGuy »

So, yeah today i created a soul bottler that would fit me and i've come up with a pretty insanely fast/cool one, at least to me. But first i wanna introduce myself for a sec, instead of skulking around like I usually do =). My names TheOneGuy obviously, im 14 years old, and this mod is epic, nuff said.

This thing produces about 98 soul urns per minute, that enough for ye?

2 Cons to this build is:

1.It may sometimes "frizz out" or speed up, if you go to far away from the machine. Causing you to lose some Netherrack. (Resetting the machine with system lock fixes this.)

2.Once turned on, it will waste 8 ground netherrack, or the first urn, you would say. Which isnt much, but every single one counts I guess.

This bottler also doesnt need many "advanced" materials, just 1 BD, 1 Water Mill, 2 Hoppers, and any building block + some redstone. Oh and dont forget 2 sticky pistons.

Anyways, without further ado here is my automatic (semi, if you count manual loading) soul bottler.
Spoiler
Show
Here's the overlook of this thing, a big redstoney mess, I could make it look better but thats not what were here for right?

You put the Ground Netherrack in here, WHILE the system is locked. (Also you do have to manually load the urns to, but that isnt so bad.)

System lock, 1 lever, 1 redstone.

So now, ya got you're ground netherrack in, but we need those bottles to start a - pumping, when you're ready for that just turn system lock off, along with you're desired amount of urns and ground netherrack ready for use.

Finally! Weve got the soul urns pumping and coming out very fast, but now..how do we collect these urns? Well, ive worked for a bit and came up with a floatable item elevator I guess you could say. The bad thing about this is you must manually press the elevator button...someone could probably fix this, but my brain was dead. The elevator is on the left, the way it gets the items up and floating is that they sit next to a piston in the water, and when the elevator button is pressed the items get pushed into the main stream and start to go up.

And a little collection area never hurt.

Now finally the LAST thing is...and this may or may not be bad, but collecting the hellfire dust must be manual to, either that or someone has to find a way to fix this to, the only way ive discovered is to put a panel next to the soul sand hopper and nudge against it. Allowing you to pick it up through the wall.

PHEW, that was a lot of typing and if you managed to make it here, im a bit impressed. Well anyways, if i'm to bad at explaining this stuff the world download for my tinkering world will be available because im sure ive missed a bit of stuff or explained something poorly at times. Im a kid, dont expect me to do much =)
Well THATS my bottler and im pretty proud of myself, my next challenge is to come up with a good auto-saw I can use, but anyways let me stop all of my ranting and.... here is the world download.

http://www.mediafire.com/?k066h80vmwsk6ye

Have fun, and I hope ya like it =D
BlackCat

Post by BlackCat »

Thought I'd post my new urn filler, it fills about 1 urn per every 4 ticks or so.

http://imgur.com/a/zztQo