Considering accepting donations

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
redrew89

Re: Considering accepting donations

Post by redrew89 »

I may be mistaken, but I think I was the one who originally asked you if I could toss some Paypal change your way, to buy you a beer in exchange for all of your wonderful work. Now that you are reconsidering the idea, let me simply say that the next time I find a few bucks sitting around with no better use, I will not hesitate to send it your way. You deserve it for all the crap you've taken from the "entitled kids" as you put it, and I imagine that I can speak for at least a few people here when I say that buying you a beer is the least we can do.
Triskelli

Post by Triskelli »

redrew89 wrote:... I imagine that I can speak for at least a few people here when I say that buying you a beer is the least we can do.

Stay thirsty, my friends.
Folrig

Post by Folrig »

This is so cool! It's not often so many people try and give someone money. Just do it man.
FlowerChild wrote: but I may reevaluate that stance once I release the next big feature I have planned, as it's sure to create another wave of mass-popularity for the mod.
So, did this make anyone else just about wet their pants?
This...all of this...is just...wonky!
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

Folrig wrote: So, did this make anyone else just about wet their pants?
Yup. I'm pretty pumped to see what it is now.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Folrig wrote: So, did this make anyone else just about wet their pants?
Probably. Personally I'm saving that for when said feature is released/spoiled though, as I can't even begin to imagine what kind of epic feature it'll be.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Shengji

Post by Shengji »

Hey FC,

I've been a long time user of the Rock Paper Shotgun (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/) game site and literally a month ago I stumbled across their donate button despite the fact it's right there on the front page. Now maybe I've just been blind all this time, but I think they've been very, very clever with it.

I think it's been made deliberately so very low key that most of the users of their site will never notice it is there. The people who do notice it are going to be the people who play a major part in the community there and therefore it's presence does not cause controversy for the site.

Now when I found it, I was delighted - they are one of my favourite sites and I felt genuinely pleased to be able to donate, as I would for this mod too (I know I'm not particularly active in the community, but I try to engage my "Is it worth saying" filter at all times).

I know you are concerned with some people who have made a donation feeling entitlement or the decision causing a controversy so I wondered if this very low key approach may shield you from that somewhat?

A very different approach is taken by race department (http://www.racedepartment.com/content/). They have a giant banner (Here's a quick screenshot as it only displays to logged in members: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18357586/rd%20screen.png) at the top of every page, the bulk of it taken up by a bar chart showing the server costs and the percentage of that cost paid by donations as well as the date that the website would be shut down if that target wasn't met. Oh and you got donator written next to your name when you posted on the forums for a month.

This may sound much harsher that in actually was, but I found it worked because most of us never think about how much sites like that cost to run and also the people who run the site give so much time and energy to it - I think their target is basically 300 euros a month, but with thousands of hardcore active users, their targets are usually met very quickly.

I'm not sure this is an approach that can work every time, but just thought I'd share my donating experiences!
7 months, 37 different border checks and counting.
elustran

Post by elustran »

I haven't been active on these forums in a while, but I figured this was worth commenting on. Some of this has already been mentioned, but it never hurts to hear a little extra support:
  • Donations will make you feel more appreciated. You deserve them.
  • There will always be assholes and trolls. Ignore them.
  • For emotional support, your community will always be here for you.
  • This is one of the best mods for Minecraft and worthy game design in its own right.
  • Even Notch thought you were awesome. The creator of Minecraft is in your fan club.
  • Don't stress out about it if you have to take a break, slow down, or even quit. All the work you've already done is appreciated.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Donations ? Are you crazy ? C'est du foutage de gueule ! You greedy bastard ! !

Is that the reaction you fear ? 'cause only complete assholes could think something like that ;)
There's nothing wrong with accepting donations man, I think you should have done that a long time ago.
I'd be glad to buy you a beer for real every now and then :)
blithen

Post by blithen »

You know my stance on the subject from the interview. ;)
Add me on MSN Messenger, we can chat about our feelings and coffee and minecraft.
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

Well i just read the whole topic here and thought that a couple bucks sent your way would not hurt at all, this mainly because with the extra bit of money one can buy beverages that they enjoy. You remember back a few months, like in may? you were pumping updates out every 2 damn days, we had a hell of a time keeping up with you, and you know what? you were happy, you were glad to see that you were able to make the community take a step back, look at MC and say "Wow" i think that you have a dis-satisfaction due to the fact that Better than wolves used to be a hobby, now it is a community (trying to type intelligently here) so i guess that what i am trying to say is; make BTW that hobby again, sit down with a cold one and feel the satisfaction/excitement that the community is getting from every line of code that you put into this mod.

And once again thank you for all your dedicated work, and i hope that i may be able to buy you a 12 pack one day!
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Not to mention the fact that by now BTW has entered the 'AAA Indy title' realm and would be worth US$10-15 if it retailed. Yes it's building on an existing engine but it could be argued that making it mesh as well as it does with vanilla is harder to do than writing a game from scratch using a licensed engine. I kind of feel guilty playing it for free.
Better is the enemy of Good
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Thanks guys. I just went camping for a couple of days as a sub-vacation and it was really nice to come back to such an outpouring of support :)

I extended my trip slightly, and should now be returning next Sunday so feel free to remind folks of that when the inevitable "UPDATE TO 1.8 NOW!!!!" wave hits shortly ;)
areuthere6

Post by areuthere6 »

Enjoy the rest of your trip FC

Do what you think is right in terms of donations, if you do add the option you can certainly expect a few pounds from me. As always, trust your community, enjoy yourself (and chill with some Devin)
Spoiler
Show
PuppetRebel

Post by PuppetRebel »

Wanted to give this topic a bump.
Considering recent events I just wanted to remind Flower Child how many of us support him and are willing to give him cold hard cash to show that support.
Battlecat

Post by Battlecat »

Indeed, I'd like to second this. Hope you're still considering setting something up Flowerchild.
Supernaut

Post by Supernaut »

I think you should go for it personally. Considering that if you have to put up with a lot of crap on a certain day(s), donations can go towards a nice cold one to help you chill at the end of said day ;)

Given the time and effort you've put into this, I can't see reasonable people getting up in arms about you accepting a token of people's appreciation :) And let's just say that some people get paid to do much less than you man, so I think a donation option would be perfectly reasonable!
MathWizz

Post by MathWizz »

TyberAlyx wrote:
FlowerChild wrote:I've often wished I could exclude certain segments of the community from even being able to use it and felt discouraged in working on new features because I've known that these ass-hats would be benefitting from my work.
I will probably get banned after saying this but I just want to say I am 13.
I learned about your mod through yogscast and was fascinated by it. I am probably one of those kids whom you categorize to be hated but I guess I have no choice because I was "recruited" to the mod by the people you hate. But either ways, the mod looks great so I looked on to your thread and downloaded it. Never did I ask questions about installing and asked about problems but I did one suggestion that was neglected.
I thought suggesting was okay, but I didn't know you hated it that much, I guess new users usually get a cold shoulder. I understand that but I was so immersed in the mod I wanted to help, be part, or at least, get my regards to the modder. Instead, I got shut down. Though I am still happy though. The least I could do I guess is to help some problems with my age group and turns out fine.

Quoted above, I am scared for the mod to be closed on public. I just want to say keep the mod open for us. Not all of us are retards, and if you do get with the donation thing, I will gladly save some of my allowance to donate. I believe there is no downside in donation so do consider. I am glad to let this off my chest.
^ This. I am 14 and have a similar story. I found your mod while browsing thought the MC Forge topic and instantly fell in love with it. I like all the technical mods so I try to get as many working as possible and even merge classed if they are incompatible. I also never asked for help because I either fixed it myself or realized that is was not the author's problem. I have listened to your interview and you sound like a really cool guy but your "strictness" about the rules make me feel uneasy posting things like this (this post is totally of topic) but I just has to get this out.

And yes, you should accept donations. Although I wouldn't be able to donate because my parents wouldn't let me but I would give ya $5 if I could. :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

MathWizz wrote:-snip-
No worries man, and I am glad you found the mod. I'm not going to get pissed off at someone just because they're young :)

I appreciate the support!
Noodlerex

Post by Noodlerex »

FlowerChild wrote:words
While reading that i didn't realise you were quoting him and thought you were saying you were 14, awkward.
FlowerChild wrote: Never trust a bronie.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Lol. Fixed ;)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Noodlerex wrote: While reading that i didn't realise you were quoting him and thought you were saying you were 14, awkward.
Hehe...I wish :)

Then again, being 14 kinda sucked, but at the same time, I wouldn't mind being a few decades younger either :)
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

FlowerChild wrote:Then again, being 14 kinda sucked, but at the same time, I wouldn't mind being a few decades younger either :)
Yeah... 14 was a horrid year! I do wish I could fit into my jeans from then, though... >_>

Closer to on topic - It's always great to have people who are mature, respectful, and enthused about the things you do supporting you. One doesn't expect to find that in younger folks though, so anytime some youngin's come around with that attitude, it's serendipity. At the risk of putting words in FlowerChild's mouth, I'm sure it must be nice to have your support and enjoyment, even if it's not quite moral to bilk you for donations... yet ;) I know I wouldn't boot someone just for being young in my community, but I'd still be more likely to boot a young person statistically. It's a subtle shade, but I think my rambling point has been made.
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
muggsbud

Post by muggsbud »

to sum up this thread;

go get wasted fc, it's on us.
Chaechew

Post by Chaechew »

@Flowerchild;

Delete This after Reading
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Chaechew wrote:@Flowerchild;

Delete This after Reading
Thanks for the tips man. It's much appreciated. All I need is financial griefing :)