How to survive the night in the newest versions?

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
ThomasEngine

How to survive the night in the newest versions?

Post by ThomasEngine »

I've watched a bunch of videos in I think the second to last version, before the most recent dirt gravity change. It seems like it's been made harder to successfully dig a hidey hole. How is one supposed to dig a hidey hole in the newest version?
jorgebonafe

Re: How to survive the night in the newest versions?

Post by jorgebonafe »

Dirt doesn't fall all the way to the top like sand does. Only two or three blocks above will fall. If you dig to the side on your feet level some blocks will fall, but as long as it isn't too close to the surface you should be able to dig sideways as much as you need. Unless the dirt falling mechanics have changed since last I played.
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
jakerman999

Post by jakerman999 »

If you dig a piece of dirt without the proper tools, all the surrounding dirt will become loose dirt. Loose dirt is what's affected by gravity.

As far as making shelter with this goes, if you want to dig a hidey hole you'll need to have deep enough dirt. No real way to check this from the surface. You can also dig sideways into hills.

Digging isn't always feasible either, sometimes you will need to gather enough piles to barricade off the top of a hill, or the entrance to a shallow cave.

Shelter isn't strictly required night one. It certainly is harder surviving the night under the stars, but if you keep moving and play cautiously (including conserving hunger) one night before settling down is totally doable.

P.S. I know this is a little later than the threads focus, but the first shelter doesn't have to perfect. Throw it away as soon as you find a location that is better/safer, usually within four days.
gaga654

Post by gaga654 »

My preferred strategy is to dig into the side of a hill. If you've only watched videos so far, my advice is: don't be scared, just try it out! No shame in dying a few times until you figure out something that works for you :)
EpicAaron

Post by EpicAaron »

Digging downward isn't the only option, either. If you want to go a constructive route, digging out a bunch of soil and erecting 1.5 high walls around you (or even digging a trench and lining the inside with slabs) will prevent monsters from getting to you. If you decide to trench, however, be aware that spiders can still jump over and get to you.
BTW Community Server Discord: https://discord.gg/arZpuYW
Spoiler
Show