MCPatcher Revived

If you're having problems with your installation of Better Than Wolves, or if you've woken up in the future and are beginning to doubt the nature of reality, here's the place to post about it.
jakerman999

MCPatcher Revived

Post by jakerman999 »

With the legacy launcher being phased out, the easy tricks to get MCPatcher working again are going to get less and less easy. So I updated MCPatcher to work with the current launcher. This will patch BTW into minecraft, no messing with json required! It also works with other addons that I've tried, such as Dawn's API, Deco and Hiracho's Fatty Foods!

Get it here: https://github.com/jakerman999/MCPatche ... /tag/5.0.4
Exercise caution, backup your saves, I accept no liability, and all the usual.

This also involved switching to a newer version of java than the previous version. I don't expect that will have any large impacts, but I can't be certain.

I haven't fixed anything specific to BTW, so any old conflicts will still be present. What I know:
Better Grass doesn't work on slabs
Something not working right with custom colours for water and grass defined in texture packs? Need more info

If you find anything else that doesn't work as expected, let me know and I'll dig into it -- see what I can figure out.
Last edited by jakerman999 on Sun May 02, 2021 8:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dawnraider

Re: Updated MCPatcher

Post by dawnraider »

We have actually already ported all of MCPatcher into BTW, which will be included in the first release of the community edition along with bugfixes.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
jakerman999

Post by jakerman999 »

Is that so? I had been checking the github but hadn't seen any updates on it. Either way, this one is here now, for anyone to use in the meantime.
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

The BTW source is currently private to community members on github as to make collaboration easier we just published the entire source code on there but it would break Mojang's EULA to make that public. I can add you as a member though if you want.

We will be making a public-facing repo with patch files and scripts to place into MCP to easily set up an environment for writing addons as right now it's a pain in the ass.
Get the Deco Addon here!
jakerman999

Post by jakerman999 »

Ah, you mean the mods that are shipped with MCPatcher. I had misunderstood. I can't admit to having that much enthusiasm for the entirety of the graphical enhancements MCPatcher has to offer, it's the ease of setting up a new modded instance that gave me cause to pick this up.

I wouldn't mind being added to the github. It would be great to see the progress you've made!
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

Honestly adapting MCPatcher as you have it to just be a mod installer without the MCPatcher mods would be quite useful.

Let me know what your github username is and I'll shoot you an invite.
Get the Deco Addon here!
PuddleKat

Post by PuddleKat »

Instalation instructions please
I will test this out but what do I download Mc patcher jar
And then what do I do with it
GitHub can be a bit confusing to non users
Thanks
jakerman999

Post by jakerman999 »

Shouldn't require any install of its own, just a working copy of java.
Yep, MCPatcher.jar is the standalone program to patch minecraft. That's what you'll download and run.

If you need further instructions on use, Our very own Battosay has a tutorial on MCPatcher! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6ArR0yWNDM
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Disregard what I said bellow, I'm a dumb dumb
Spoiler
Show
Well, MCPatcher still works roughly the same way as in that old video, but it's gotten a lot harder to use with the new launcher, I think ElectroBot had the best solution to use it properly, and it still works with Random Mobs textures as well :
ElectroBot wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:43 pm mcpatcher-5.0.3 doesn't work with the new launcher out of the box, but does if you do the following:

Here's a youtube guide if you prefer it rather than a list of instructions - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vo0MFLpytls

1) Install new launcher
2) Click on the slats to the right of the Minecraft logo
3) Click on "Launch Options"
4) Click on "Add new"
5) Give it a name (BTW for e.g.)
6) Change version to "release 1.5.2"
7) Click "Save"
8) Click on "News" and launch the 1.5.2 instance you just installed
9) Close Minecraft
10) Run the launcher again
11) Click on "Launch options"
12) Click on your instance
13) Click on the arrow to the right of the Game directory folder
14) Close the launcher
15) -
16) Go to the versions folder
17) Copy and paste the 1.5.2 folder and rename the copy to BTWMod4-ABCEEEFAb (or whatever the version is that you're using)
18) Go into the folder
19) Rename the jar and json files to the same names
20) Open the json file
21) Delete the downloads section (shown in spoiler) (it might have all the text in 1 line [stupid Mojang!])
Spoiler
Show
22) Change "id": "1.5.2", to "id": "BTWMod4-ABCEEEFAb",
23) Save and close the file

A) Go back 2 folders (to your .minecraft)
B-1st time) Copy and paste this file "launcher_profiles.json"
B-Updating BTW) Rename "launcher_profiles.json" to "launcher_profiles-NEW.json"
B-Updating BTW-2) Rename "launcher_profiles-OLD.json" to "launcher_profiles.json"
C-1st time) Open the "launcher_profiles.json" file
D-1st time) Delete everything and paste the following in

Code: Select all

{
  "profiles": {
    "1.5.2": {
      "name": "1.5.2",
      "lastVersionId": "1.5.2"
    }
  }
}
E-1st time) Save and close the file
F) Run mcpatcher-5.0.3
G) Select BTWMod4-ABCEEEFAb under the Game version dropdown
H) Click the + symbol on the bottom
I) Select your BTWMod4-ABCEEFABc.zip and click Open
J) Click on "MINECRAFT-JAR and click Ok
K) Click Ok again
L) Click Patch
M) Close MCPatcher
N) Rename "launcher_profiles.json" to "launcher_profiles-OLD.json"
O) Rename "launcher_profiles - Copy.json" (or "launcher_profiles-NEW.json" if not 1st time) to "launcher_profiles.json"
P) Run the launcher for a 3rd time
Q) Click on "Launch options"
R) Click on your instance
S) Change the Version from "release 1.5.2" to "release BTWMod4-ABCEEEFAb-mcpatcher"
T) Click "Save"
U) Click on "News"
V) Enjoy BTW again with HD TEXTURES!

Upgrading:
- Follow steps 17 to 23 and A to V, but change the name (BTWMod4-ABCEEEFAb) to match the new version

Recommended:
- Gilberreke's Legacy Skin Support - viewtopic.php?f=12&t=9365
- If you use a LARGE texture pack like Mesh's, then it's recommended to make your options.txt file read-only (while using Vanilla textures) and change textures after loading Minecraft (this significantly decreases load time)

Troubleshooting:
- Its best to start with a clean .minecraft folder (backup just in case)
- If you want to play Minecraft versions other than BTW, then use the Game folder setting to put them in a different folder to prevent issues such as losing all your BTW blocks in a world or corrupting your instance
Last edited by Battosay on Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jakerman999

Post by jakerman999 »

You shouldn't need to do any of that business with the launcher_profiles.json anymore. This version of MCPatcher understands the current format, and might even choke on the old one.

The bit about removing the downloads section of the version json file is still relevant, but that's because I forgot a change... I'll push a beta2 version that takes care of that sometime soonish.

Using the MC launcher to download 1.5.2 is something that still needs to be done though. I wanted to leave the possibility of installing older versions of BTW/MC, the use case of BTB came to mind. Although I actually don't remember what version of MC that used...
jakerman999

Post by jakerman999 »

I've updated the release to beta2, now it gets rid of those pesky download tags. Can't believe I forgot that change from the last time I started doing this.

This should be working out of the box without needing to meddle with json anymore. Let me know if that isn't the case for anyone, I hope I've not overlooked anything this time.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Wait, shit, I just realized that this topic isn't an old thread asking about how to use the MCPatcher, but a new one with an upgraded version made by jake !
What I posted above is the current method I (used to) use with the current launcher, it was a bit confusing but it worked with the Random Animal thingy.
So if you're now using jake's upgraded MCPatcher, just ignore what I posted above !
Sorry for the confusion jake, and thanks for working on this, great job :)
jakerman999

Post by jakerman999 »

No worries, all is well :)

And may I take it from your praise that it is working well for you?
karnak sam

Post by karnak sam »

Thank goodness!

Kudos to all for your efforts.

Any confirmation on CTM and random textures working on any version?
PuddleKat

Post by PuddleKat »

I compared this with the original and it works ok. CTM , CIT, and Random Mobs etc all work. Better Grass still doesn't work, but that's been an issue with McPatcher for a while now
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

There's several things which currently don't work, including custom colors for water and grass as well, due to how much FC overhauled the rendering code.
Get the Deco Addon here!
jakerman999

Post by jakerman999 »

PuddleKat wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 5:41 am I compared this with the original and it works ok. CTM , CIT, and Random Mobs etc all work. Better Grass still doesn't work, but that's been an issue with McPatcher for a while now
Are you turning better grass on in the settings(second tab) menu? It is under the CTM section and is off by default. Doesn't work on slabs though. Custom colours I can't speak on, I've not used texture packs for some time.
PuddleKat

Post by PuddleKat »

jakerman999 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 12:44 pm
PuddleKat wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 5:41 am I compared this with the original and it works ok. CTM , CIT, and Random Mobs etc all work. Better Grass still doesn't work, but that's been an issue with McPatcher for a while now
Are you turning better grass on in the settings(second tab) menu? It is under the CTM section and is off by default. Doesn't work on slabs though. Custom colours I can't speak on, I've not used texture packs for some time.
Yes I have it turned on in the settings tab grass block sides have not worked for sometime in Mcpatcher BTW grass slabs are also broken
Last edited by PuddleKat on Sun May 02, 2021 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
PuddleKat

Post by PuddleKat »

dawnraider wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 12:07 pm There's several things which currently don't work, including custom colors for water and grass as well, due to how much FC overhauled the rendering code.
Custom colors for water and grass work for me

You are talking about the png's in the misc folder correct ?
jakerman999

Post by jakerman999 »

I've had Better Grass on full blocks, so hearing that it isn't working out in the wild is curious...

I'm using the following settings, can you recreate?
Spoiler
Show
Could I also ask you to please post the settings you're using? If we can narrow down where the conflict is, it might be possible to sort that one out.

Could I also get more explanation to the issues with custom colours? As it is a feature I don't use, I know neither the intended, nor the current functionality; but I've been told it does something just not the right thing. If behaviour differs for various setups (settings, mods installed, etc.) that's worth noting as well.
PuddleKat

Post by PuddleKat »

Ok better grass works with the vanilla launcher but not with the MultiMc launcher ? will test some more later

Update everything seems to work ok with the vanilla launcher except the test minecraft button
If you could get that working you could install mods and play via Mcpatcher no other launcher needed
Is it not possible to make McPatcher the default BetterThanWolves launcher ?
Battosay

Re: MCPatcher Revived

Post by Battosay »

Just remembered that I should come back now that I had the opportunity to try this out, and glad to say it works perfectly, installing BTW is finally super easy again, thanks jakerman :)
dawnraider

Re: MCPatcher Revived

Post by dawnraider »

Just wanted to confirm that this does still work for installing CE as long as you disable the MCPatcher patches.
Get the Deco Addon here!