The BTW Village Project

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
CapnRedbeard

The BTW Village Project

Post by CapnRedbeard »

Hello,

I've been a lurker for a long time, but saw lots of good stuff on here. What lead me to post was the BTW Design Philosophy thread (if for some unforgivable reason you haven't read it - do!) One of points raised was that you can build functional bases. Bases that have a reason to the mass of separate rooms that feel extraneous in vM.

Now, in the past I've built towns, mines, etc., with vM but of course there were only two buildings that served a function - storage room and train station.

So I thought I'd give myself a project and create a working village where each building has a purpose. I started a fresh map, with only the following mods installed - Better than Wolves, HD Textures, and OreRedistribution. So it's all "legitimate" no items hacked in, all done by hand. It'll expand as I add more structures, I've got a todo list that stretches all the way down to automated farm factory, but we'll see how motivation and real life allow that to happen.

If you have something similar feel free to share!

PICS!
I didn't think to take pics until I had got a good start into my map, so the first one is already a little built up. They'll all be overview shots, but if anyone is interested in seeing the insides let me know.

First pic 07/09
Spoiler
Show
The rectangular building next to the house with the bed is my temporary wolf pen. I got lucky and spawned in a forest with lots of wolves - this after about 3 maps with almost no wolves whatsoever! The long building next to the farm is my warehouse. It's not shown, but I have a portal on a hill of to the lower left of the picture.
Mill house! Finished 08/09
Spoiler
Show
Got my mill house under way. It's functional, just not pretty yet. Needs a bit of water for the sorting trough and it's good to go. Also set up a cauldron so I can start tanning me some leather.

Did some repiar work on this and got a roof on it. Time to start churning stuff out
Canine Rehabilitation Centre is complete! 09/09
Spoiler
Show
Started on my Canine Rehabilitation Centre!

I've finished the roof on this thing, but here it is basically in operation. You may guess where I got inspiration. And yes, I did feel like a bad person as I pushed each wolf into their individual cells. Thank you, FC :)
Foundry DONE! 14/09
Spoiler
Show
Over the ruins of my accident :)

What happens when you leave a hole in your moulding for a cement cast... It's all functional underneath, I've got a separate cauldron and crucible area, and a spot for my kiln.

A shot of the inside without the roof...

And one with! The whole village so far:Image
*UPDATE* 24/09/2011 Tree Farm is Roofed!
Spoiler
Show
The beggining of my tree farm on the outskirts of my village.

Here's the latest, the far side is pretty much complete, though only the first one has the wiring connected. The near side has all the wiring set up, just needs saws and gear connections. The long distance item conveyor is functional, but I kept having issues with torch burnout.

Here you can see farm roofed in, and a corner of the sawmill which is very much a WIP.
Cobblestone Generator Complete! 24/09
(also pic of whole town to date)
Spoiler
Show
It's the building just in front of the foundry and the warehouse.
To be built:
Mill house - DONE!
A real *ahem* home for my wolves - DONE!
Cauldron/cookhouse - DONE!
Kiln
Crucible
Automatic cobble generator?

Automatic tree farm w/ sawmill = WIP
Automatic hemp/wheat/reed farm/mushroom farm(s)
Last edited by CapnRedbeard on Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:58 pm, edited 12 times in total.
PuppetRebel

Re: A BTW Village

Post by PuppetRebel »

This is very cool! Actually, in my last couple of plays I have made little villages too. I'll have to post some pics of my latest one. As it stands right now, I have a house, a storage room/mine shaft, the mill/forge, the portal room, farms for wheat, hemp, and canes, a wolf house and livestock farm, since I have baby animals installed.
CapnRedbeard

Post by CapnRedbeard »

Heh, thanks. I like building these kinds of things - I was big into SimCity for a while, and some others like Anno 1404 or Settlers. I've had some trouble with finding enough resources - but with ore redistribution it's about finding the right area.

So I've got a mine past the portal that's been good for iron and some diamond (make it easy going til I get steel!) and another one even further past that that's been great for coal. Redstone has been a bit of a problem though, I'll have to scout around.
CapnRedbeard

Post by CapnRedbeard »

Oh - I was going to mention that I've played around with the mod a bit using supercheats (TMI and SinglePlayer Commands) but didn't want to commit as I was playing a lot of SMP. But with this lull leading up to 1.8 I decided to really have a go at it, and here we are!
RHCPepperfan

Post by RHCPepperfan »

Have a similar project going on. I'm using cheats though! You can see it here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=696
Camerinthus

Post by Camerinthus »

Yeah, I was thinking about doing something like this.

I love making towns.
IGN: Camerinthus
CapnRedbeard

Post by CapnRedbeard »

Was working on my fleshing out my mill-house this morning when I got a rather... unpleasent surprise. Took me about 20 seconds to figure out what the heck was going on. Things were exploding around me... then I looked up.
Spoiler
Show
There were some overruns in the projected building schedule...
screally

Post by screally »

haha gotta watch out for that!

I'm currently making something vaguely similar, but I decided to do it in a perfectly flat sand area. Problem is the area wasn't all sand, nor perfectly flat. So lots of terraforming has ensued and there's lots to come... Either way I have a pre-automated hemp farm and nearly enough for my windmill so far...
CapnRedbeard

Post by CapnRedbeard »

It freaked me out! I remember Notch saying something about them spawning near a portal, buts it's never happened to me before. Of course, I've always put my portal somewhere deep underground surrounded by lava so that might have something to do with it...
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

CapnRedbeard wrote:It freaked me out! I remember Notch saying something about them spawning near a portal, buts it's never happened to me before. Of course, I've always put my portal somewhere deep underground surrounded by lava so that might have something to do with it...
I don't suppose you'd been milling any netherrack recently? There can be...dangers, using the matirials of hell with BTW items.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Yeah, Notch never put that feature in, it's because you ground up netherrack
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
M!C

Post by M!C »

Gilberreke wrote:Yeah, Notch never put that feature in, it's because you ground up netherrack
You're right but he wanted to put it in. Anyway Jeb stopped him so there's no Ghasts spawning from portals.
(check the portal article in the wiki if you don't believe it)
CapnRedbeard

Post by CapnRedbeard »

Yeah I was grinding up some netherrack. I'm guessing it's a % chance of spawning whilst using it, so I must have been extra lucky because this was my first batch of making hellfire dust.

Anyway, off to build my canine rehab center!
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

CapnRedbeard wrote:Yeah I was grinding up some netherrack. I'm guessing it's a % chance of spawning whilst using it, so I must have been extra lucky because this was my first batch of making hellfire dust.

Anyway, off to build my canine rehab center!
Just keep any hoppers with soul sand filters powered at all times, and it shouldn't happen again. Until FC gives us more demonic toys to play with, that is.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
CapnRedbeard

Post by CapnRedbeard »

Yeah it's all powered now and no incidents since. Looks like I'm safe :)
CapnRedbeard

Re: The BTW Village Project

Post by CapnRedbeard »

The dangers of an all-in-one cauldron/kiln/crucible set up!

PROTIP: You gotta make sure you turn off the bellows...
Spoiler
Show
Just including this one as it's the only pic I have before the "accident"

Aaaannndd... Here's the aftermath. This was about 4 stacks of hellfire dust.. You can see the chunks missing out of the surrounding buildings.
As it was temporary anyway, on to build my real foundry!
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

CapnRedbeard wrote:The dangers of an all-in-one cauldron/kiln/crucible set up!
I keep switching between them without emptying them first, dumping the contents on the lit hibachi below, instead of switching the bellows on and off. Silly unlabelled switches, who set you up like that! Oh well, guess I didn't need that stack of iron, or that half stack of tanned leather...

In other news, this thread has inspired me to stop building everything underground, I just need to actually make proper looking buildings now, and build better walls to stop spiders jumping on me and teleporting all my wolves to me.
blithen

Post by blithen »

xD Oh god I died at "Canine rehabilitation center"
Good stuff. :)
Add me on MSN Messenger, we can chat about our feelings and coffee and minecraft.
CapnRedbeard

Post by CapnRedbeard »

gftweek wrote:I keep switching between them without emptying them first, dumping the contents on the lit hibachi below, instead of switching the bellows on and off. Silly unlabelled switches, who set you up like that! Oh well, guess I didn't need that stack of iron, or that half stack of tanned leather...

In other news, this thread has inspired me to stop building everything underground, I just need to actually make proper looking buildings now, and build better walls to stop spiders jumping on me and teleporting all my wolves to me.
Haha, yeah I did that a few times when I first had my 3x3 hibachi set up... anything going in ain't coming out. I'm glad I inspired you to build above ground, I got the itch when I saw a few videos and a lot of it was built underground. Having done it this way, I gotta say that it would be easier undergound, but I like how my little village is coming along :)

blithen - thanks! :D
CapnRedbeard

Post by CapnRedbeard »

Well, now that I have pretty much all the "basic" stuff out of the way, I'm going to start on my first automated rig.

I should have probably started with a hemp farm, but well... I didn't so, here's the beginning of my tree farm. I intend on adding an automated sawmill portion to it at some point.

I had to move it a ways out from the main area as I think it's going to end up quite large...

I may start adding some more aesthetic buildings to the main village though.
Spoiler
Show
Dutchy

Post by Dutchy »

This look brilliant, I also wanted to do something along these lines, I especially like the demonic portal shine on top of that hill. (;
If I had a signature, it would look like this.
CapnRedbeard

Post by CapnRedbeard »

Hey thanks! I'm glad you're enjoying it.

So I've continued work on my automated tree farm - it's hard going. I think starting my first BTW project with supercheats (too many items and singleplayer commands) was a bad idea. I'm getting an urge to use them! I've staved off that desire though, and managed to complete both sides of my tree farm.

It's basically the same design as showcased by FC, although I made it as small as possible. It uses the long distance item-conveyor design that was posted in this forum a while back (sorry - don't remember who it was - but thank you!).

I used pistons as BD's are expensive and I want to save my mossy cobble.
Spoiler
Show
Dutchy

Post by Dutchy »

Looks very nice, I've personally never made an automated tree farm before even though It's always intrigued me, but it looks like you're making good progress so congrats in that department :) . Also I forgot to ask in my previous post what seed are you using? or is the world simply randomly generated?
If I had a signature, it would look like this.
CapnRedbeard

Post by CapnRedbeard »

Heh, gotta say thanks again for the encouragement!

I think I would probably do a different design if I started over, like the one Razar51 has set up. It's more effecient in a lot of ways, growth happens faster, saplings aren't lost (mine I maybe get 1-2 every other tree), and it can be pretty compact in the X and Z planes.

The map was randomly generated, I gotten a little worn out on some of my favorites (Sage Creek or Trident - check 'em out!! :D) but if you're interested the seed for this map is -4955130902338093272 and my spawn point was at:

x -62,
y 64,
z -80

One of the main reasons I stuck with it was cuz on Sage Creek, which spawned me next to a huge flat-ish field, I couldn't find any wolves. As soon as I'd come on shore (you can see in the first pic there's a little sandy hill with dirt on top - spawn point) I found 6 wolves! So penned 'em in and decided to set up shop.
TrencherMan

Post by TrencherMan »

can you show some pics of inside please?