Fire aspect is an actively detrimental enchantment

The place to talk about how BTW might be different
dawnraider

Fire aspect is an actively detrimental enchantment

Post by dawnraider »

I think something should be changed about fire aspect as it is actively bad, which is far worse than generally not useful enchants like fire protection and bane of arthropods.
  • It burns meat from animals, making it bad for hunting.
  • It sets mobs on fire, which can then easily set you on fire, making it bad for fighting most mobs (creepers and the wither are the only mobs I can think of that are both vulnerable to fire and can't set you on fire).
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
Sarudak
Site Admin

Re: Fire aspect is an actively detrimental enchantment

Post by Sarudak »

Change it to something useful like an ice aspect that applies slowness to mobs?
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

Hmm that actually sounds pretty interesting
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
EpicAaron

Post by EpicAaron »

I wonder if the problem is the fact that mobs so easily spread fire through contact? It's like they are covered in napalm or something.
BTW Community Server Discord: https://discord.gg/arZpuYW
Spoiler
Show
jakerman999

Post by jakerman999 »

Once you've got fire prot armour, it isn't so bad :)

But I'd actually like to see more 'curses' or negative enchantments on things, especially through the basic enchantment table where it's all random. Enchanting table super strong as is, and could use a nerf IMO
Hiracho

Post by Hiracho »

I agree with jake, having bad enchants ergo curses is actually something good. I was thinking on changing the vanilla enchanter to use scrolls to a lower level, but having it be random with more curses actually sounds way more interesting! Right now you're gambling for little profit or big profit, that's a weird gambling mechanic. adding some negatives would basically just increase the overall cost of using the enchanter since you probably wont want to use them unless somehow forced.. But getting enchanted crappy weapons from mob drops would make you think twice.

As for the Ice enchant, I had the same idea to add ice aspect and maybe some others. I don't see a need to "fix" fire aspect. I think the effects are cool if not all that useful in the damage mobs harder part of the game. In the end it still deals more damage to some mobs , it just comes with a risk. Double edged blades are the most interesting In my oppinion, As jake said, fire aspect(or fire resistance potions) are a great synergy with it.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Well on one hand I agree that having bad enchants isn't necessarily a bad thing, just look at any ARPG, you don't get good loot if you don't have bad one to contrast it with ; but on the other hand, if you look at vanilla enchants there was never any bad enchant to begin with. Sure some of them are better than other, but overall they all had their use and you'd never just 'throw away' an item you just enchanted if it had something you didn't want, they were still usable.
As it stands, fire aspect doesn't really give any advantage (the damage boost being super small) and some severe drawbacks, making it the only enchant that would (for me) brick a weapon, and make me just store it away until I have a crucible. It used to be in a state I really liked, because with it you could get cooked meat while out exploring, but you'd have to be super careful when fighting because it would make enemies more dangerous.
So overall I guess that if's a matter of whether you want to have 'only good enchants' like in vanilla, or go the opposite way and rework the enchantment system to have good and bad results.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Hiracho wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:19 am Right now you're gambling for little profit or big profit, that's a weird gambling mechanic.
I don't think this is an accurate description. You are spending experience and time and some amount of material for the weapon. Then if you get a bad enchant you might not consider that a little profit at all but a loss.
Whuppee

Post by Whuppee »

It does feel very BTW though that when you first acquire magic and play with fire, you get burned. Also a joke about two-edged swords. (then after, don't enchant swords unless you can recycle, or can afford to wait until you can recycle. also live by the sword, die by the sword =p)

When enchantment was introduced in vanilla though, it would have been a complete loss to scrap an enchantment. Being able to recycle, it's a lot easier to mill enchantments until you get something perfect. I don't enjoy this gameplay, but it is quite incentivized. Between the durability of diamond tools, lossless recycling, and a mob trap, there is no substantial time or material cost—you'll be in base often enough to tend animals, crops and store things, and you can recycle any non-perfect enchants while accruing spares faster than you go through the tools.

Some windmill, saw and even campfire and cauldron, tanning leather and such pre-Nether, and I don't want to say that sprinting for a crucible and mostly/ only enchanting after is correct, but that is where anyone making progress through the game will spend most of their time. And if you are spending that much time pre-Nether, you can probably manage enough iron that setting aside the occasional sword for the crucible is fine too.

If the only-negative aspects are done away with, I'd want an alternative that doesn't change gameplay and balance, just damage over time equivalent to fire, that isn't fire. Not poison though, since that shouldn't effect undead and harm meat. Maybe just call it :c Aspect