I think that Steel and the Composite Bow is overpowered.

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: I think that Steel and the Composite Bow is overpowered.

Post by FlowerChild »

darahalian wrote:I don't want to turn this into a suggestion thread, but maybe since the broadhead arrows are heavier, they will only fly as far as arrows shot from the regular bow, while the normal arrows when shot from the Composite bow will still fly as far as they do now. I think this might help some with the balancing aspect that some people are worried about, and it would make sense.

Coding this on the other hand might be too difficult to really make it worthwhile, but if it's not too hard, I think this would be a good change.
Nah, that aspect is super-simple (all I have to do is remove a 1.5 times multiplier from the forumla I'm using for the arrow's initial velocity), and I've thought of that option myself, I just don't really dig it.

Variable ranges and adjusting your aim with different types of ammunition strikes me as a little overly complex for a game like Minecraft.
Conscript Gary

Post by Conscript Gary »

We will be getting variable range from pullback in 1.8 though. A longer draw time might be an interesting balance.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Conscript Gary wrote:We will be getting variable range from pullback in 1.8 though. A longer draw time might be an interesting balance.
True enough. I definitely knew that I'd need to rebalance the Composite bow once 1.8 came along when I created it, and for awhile considered putting it off until it was released, but in the end said:

"Fuck it...this thing is cool and easy for me to put in" :)

As I said, I wanted to give you guys some toys to play with while I was away. Once I have a chance to really play around with 1.8, I'll rebalance a number of the aspects of the mod accordingly.
Balmung

Post by Balmung »

Having had plenty of time to test the new bow out, I think that increasing the cost of Broadheads by a large factor for the pay-off of a full charged bow letting them 1-shot might be the way to go.

Otherwise people may not use them, as the only way up from 2-shotting with the bow is a 1-shot.

On the flip side, maybe lowering the normal bow's damage slightly? That may be more effort than it's worth though.
Beemlord

Post by Beemlord »

I actually was thinking about this while at work early (I probably should have actually been working though hahaha) and I don't find the steel tools and composite bow overpowered but, as of now, BTW doesn't have any sort of planned end to the tech tree (as FC stated in the interview on Battosays channel). So my thought was more of a future balancing issue. Say you change the bow to use the draw back of the normal bow and therefor it is capable of 1-shotting mobs, as is the steel broadsword, where would that leave the progression of weaponry in BTW as a whole. Later on, why would i want to make, say, a flintlock rifle or something crazy like a plasma pistol (considering this mod eventually goes that far haha) if my composite bow already 1-shots mobs? Unless mobs have more HP or are more difficult, I can't see further weapon progression as useful to the overall mod. I could just be crazy and completely incorrect though (which is the more likely answer).
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

Beemlord wrote:I actually was thinking about this while at work early (I probably should have actually been working though hahaha) and I don't find the steel tools and composite bow overpowered but, as of now, BTW doesn't have any sort of planned end to the tech tree (as FC stated in the interview on Battosays channel). So my thought was more of a future balancing issue. Say you change the bow to use the draw back of the normal bow and therefor it is capable of 1-shotting mobs, as is the steel broadsword, where would that leave the progression of weaponry in BTW as a whole. Later on, why would i want to make, say, a flintlock rifle or something crazy like a plasma pistol (considering this mod eventually goes that far haha) if my composite bow already 1-shots mobs? Unless mobs have more HP or are more difficult, I can't see further weapon progression as useful to the overall mod. I could just be crazy and completely incorrect though (which is the more likely answer).
There are Boss mobs coming in 1.9, and if he wanted FC could add an angry demon who we awaken with our grinding of souls and heathenistic science.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Beemlord wrote:So my thought was more of a future balancing issue. Say you change the bow to use the draw back of the normal bow and therefor it is capable of 1-shotting mobs, as is the steel broadsword, where would that leave the progression of weaponry in BTW as a whole. Later on, why would i want to make, say, a flintlock rifle or something crazy like a plasma pistol (considering this mod eventually goes that far haha) if my composite bow already 1-shots mobs?
Range, accuracy, rate of fire, and SMP are all answers that spring to mind.
Brethern

Post by Brethern »

FlowerChild wrote:
Conscript Gary wrote:We will be getting variable range from pullback in 1.8 though. A longer draw time might be an interesting balance.
True enough. I definitely knew that I'd need to rebalance the Composite bow once 1.8 came along when I created it, and for awhile considered putting it off until it was released, but in the end said:

"Fuck it...this thing is cool and easy for me to put in" :)

As I said, I wanted to give you guys some toys to play with while I was away. Once I have a chance to really play around with 1.8, I'll rebalance a number of the aspects of the mod accordingly.
Is there any chance that you can improve the pullback over what's in vanilla?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Brethern wrote:Is there any chance that you can improve the pullback over what's in vanilla?
Maybe. Still being on vacation, I haven't even had a chance to play 1.8 yet, so I really can't make any statements with regards to specific implementation.