Ghast Farm - Nothing to Worry About?

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
SterlingRed

Ghast Farm - Nothing to Worry About?

Post by SterlingRed »

I was happily wandering around my base at spawn tossing some netherrack into a millstone to make a bunch of torches for lighting up a cave I discovered, when suddenly a sad cry echoed over the hills and BLAM! I took damage and the half finished storage building was on fire. After panic spamming a bunch of cobble everywhere and watching helplessly as half my stuff got burned, I knew what happened and it was nothing to worry about. I rushed out to look up only to see another fire charge headed my way...coming from nowhere! You see it was a gloomy night...and the ghast was invisible. You don't know terror until you have nothing to worry about floating around your spawn area that you can't see. After a prolonged battle of shooting at that piñata while blind folded, I finally didn't have anything to worry about anymore as the sun rose revealing my victory...and the carnage of my storage building, hemp farm, and reed farm still smoldering.

I just built myself a nice little ghast farm using the properties of nothing to worry about (for the first time), which of course is nothing to worry about. As you can tell, now I'm a little worried. I need help figuring out what I did wrong. I have a few questions, the answers might be spoilery.

1. Is a solid one block layer above water a sufficient 'lid' to prevent squids becoming nothing to worry about?
2. Do squid spawn in flowing water or only source blocks? Do they need a certain water depth to spawn? (trying to figure out how to contain spawns inside my farm)
3. What's the range of nothing to worry about?
dawnraider

Re: Ghast Farm - Nothing to Worry About?

Post by dawnraider »

1. Anything which prevents the squids from clearing the water's surface when they jump should stop them from converting. They need to be able to completely exit the water by a few blocks before they'll convert.
2. Flowing water too, my estimate is that they need a 5x5x3 space but Idk if that's a rectangle or diamond. It may also be 3x3x3.
3. 16 blocks.

Another thing to consider is that squids may be swimming out of the pipes bringing water in and escaping the farm that way. I have had that happen in my current world.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

Ah thank you. I have resolved my escaping ghasts problem...unfortunately not before they set my wheat fields on fire. Now I need to work on getting my spawn rates up, I've never actually gotten one to turn inside the farm but I just made some changes so hopefully that'll help.
Here's a couple shots of nothing to worry about after I put out the fires, and before I solved the problem.
Spoiler
Show
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Resurrecting this thread because I'd love to see pictures of some "evolution chamber" and how you guys chose to kill the ghasts.
I've done various kind of sizes and shapes for the room previously, with saws on the ceiling, but I was never really satisfied with what I had, especially the killing part, ghasts could sometimes takes days (IG time) to wander up one or two blocks above.
gaga654

Post by gaga654 »

I remember Whuppee made one on stream a couple years ago, here's a clip of that one (doesn't show much but you can see where the saws are) https://www.twitch.tv/whuppee/clip/Hedo ... dvarkKappa