Base Showcase and Basebuilding Tips

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
EpicAaron

Base Showcase and Basebuilding Tips

Post by EpicAaron »

The Discord channel has been a fantastic place to talk about BTW over the last year or so, but keeping all of that information locked up does a real disservice to the folks that prefer the chronological ease of the forum. Given that this place is the landing pad for players looking to download the game, I thought it might be a good idea to start posting all of the cool stuff that has been discovered and talked about recently. Minecraft is, after all, a game about sharing, and that doesn't stop being true just because of starvation and hats!

Without further ado... post your bases! No matter how meager or grand, put some screenshots forward.

My current world is one year old this week, I think. Some folks have the privilege of surviving and building up a base in spawn. Well, I died a lot and eventually found my first diamonds on another continent, so I had to build up my spawn base on untouched land.

Here is the aerial view, taken from a piece of scaffolding atop my mob trap:
Spoiler
Show

I am severely attention deficit, so I have to have my essentials close together or I will get nothing done. The central cobble road connects the nether portal, farms, and industrial/crafting center in one straight line.
Mob trap and dog feeders:
Spoiler
Show

Each of these funny boxes has a dog inside. The kibble dispensers are hooked up to a 10 minute decay timer. Once you have a mobtrap going, kibble is as close to free as things get in BTW. The wooden box is just a shed for storing extra cobble and such.
Hidden sheep farm:
Spoiler
Show

The brown wool trade is either pure hell or really easy depending on how much wool you manage to save up across your time in the game. I had practically none, so I needed to find some livestock. The benefit of not playing out the early game at spawn is that animals were abundant and easy to catch.
Industrial/Crafting Center:
Spoiler
Show
Above ground:

Basement:

Two semi-automatic kilns, eight turntables, a dirt packer, six saws, millstone, and a chest/crafting area all within reach. As far as pre-soulforge bases go, this is about as cutting edge as they get I think! It is very noisy. Credit to Sockthing for his lazy kiln design!

This is actually the second centralized industrial area at this base. You will see the husk of the original below.
Mushroom Cellar:
Spoiler
Show

This baby produces more than enough shrooms for my needs. It is right underneath my cow pasture, so I like to think that the mushrooms are feeding on shit. Unfortunately, mobs spawn on unlit light blocks, so I still have to deal with a creeper in here every now and then.
Old Fort:
Spoiler
Show
Inside the stone tower:

The old industrial center:

Ah, relics from my days of anguish. I had a very limited supply of perma-torches when I first conquered spawn, so I had to wall in my base like a peasant. Unfortunately, I did not realize at the time that I had placed the base within the 2 inactive chunks of the 10 chunk spawn radius. It's a shame, because I wasted some good cement on the stone chest tower! This entire area is largely defunct now, but I still have a waterwheel there to power my urn bottler, and the cauldron is filled with old food.
Mob Trap Sorter:
Spoiler
Show

I set this up so that the good stuff (the iron) is right at the base of the ladder.

I have noticed a lot of people opting to skip sorting in favor of other projects. I get it, making a sorting system is a major pain in the ass. However, waiting until you desperately need large amounts of bones/oysters/flesh is an even bigger pain in the ass.

Solution: Do as I did and build the sorting system in TIERS! At first, I only sorted between iron and other stuff. Then, I added more and more sorting over time. I still have yet to add packing, but at least I don't have to sift through a handful of full hoppers and manually liquidate them.
I made a lot of mistakes while building this base. For you pre-diamond babies out there, make absolutely sure you are within the active spawn chunks before building your automated machines.

Here are my post-portal base building priorities:
1. Amass a ton of axles and gearboxes. Don't wait until you have a critical mass of planters, or you will find yourself bottlenecking hard. The extra time spent weeding will be worth it.

2. Find a stable source of blaze rods. I made a safe path through the nether straight to a blaze spawner. It took a long time, but now I don't have to worry about being conservative with hibachis.

3. Build some semi-auto kilns. I firmly believe that these are the heart of your production, as soul urns and planters are always in demand. If you have easy access to blazes, you can build the kilns as big as your heart desires. The only other showstopper I can think of is dung and leather for the bellows. That wasn't a problem for me, as I had a puppy at my old base.

4. Dedicate a few days to hunting clay so you can set up hemp planters and any other seeds you might have. I was lucky to have wheat and melons by the time I got to spawn, so I didn't need to think too much about food conservation. NOTE: you can still starve to death with just melons. If you want to go the melon route, dedicate most of your planters to them at first or you might find yourself in a constant state of malnutrition.

If you have auto-kilns and a large number of hemp plants, you can build just about anything!
EpicAaron

Re: Base Showcase and Basebuilding Tips

Post by EpicAaron »

Much has changed in the intervening months.

Since my previous post, I have conquered the wither, slain the dragon, and constructed various useful machines. The wither part got me killed three times, so I have no idea what people are talking about when they say that boss is too easy... In preparation for my eventual star celebration, I constructed a little temple:
Spoiler
Show
So primitive. Nothing screams victory quite like sharpened logs and columns of bone.

It has become my main "office" so to speak. I keep valuables in there (like stores of gunpowder, emeralds, and records) as well as my brewing stand.

A false wall reveals my pleasure mate. He likes tight spaces.
My stronghold at spawn sprouted into a veritable industrial city after obtaining the anvil. Upon discovering how to create solid blocks of stone, I decided to perfect my brutalist aesthetic. That is a fancy way to say that I built a series of giant cubes. During this period I constructed a jungle spider trap, and I also erected a tower around my forge that holds my infernal library:
Spoiler
Show
The tower looms over my agricultural center. This little courtyard contains my cooking equipment as well as some friendly merchants. I wish I could trust the poor guys enough to let them roam free.

Industry above all else! This is my soulforge, the holiest place in the world. It is the center of my steel production and various other operations (including auto-log cutting and packing). My two original tube kilns were converted into auto-kilns that melt down endstone 24/7.

Upstairs is the library. This baby does not get used nearly as much as I would like because EXP is a pain to amass. I'm working on systems that will allow me to store ideally hundreds of levels, but a few dragon vessels would be nice too.

Canvases are amazing.
The real center of my automation is next door. This monstrous structure actually is one giant machine, a soul-urn maker. The machine itself was operational before the dragon perished. The shell and spire were constructed after:
Spoiler
Show
It wasn't supposed to look like a candy cane. I thought the mixture of nether ack and white stone would be imposing and frightening. It is, at the very least, nauseating.

The backside has a simpler, brutalist framework with glass windows. This is where raw clay is inserted. The extra clay from spinning is fully recycled, of course, by a pulley system. The white stone below marks the roof of my underground grow operation. In the distance, one can barely make out the old spawn tower, a new temple, and my jungle spider farm.

The endless network of redstone lines, stoked kilns, and mechanisms stretches deep into the earth. At the very bottom of this unholy pit is the collection site for completed urns.
The last thing my base needs is a wall of black stone and fire to truly dominate the landscape. I will encase myself in a supermassive tomb of bedrock.

It's good to have steel. I'm nearly invincible! Nearly. Still died, but even a hardcore spawn is welcome at this point. My life in this world has become so nefariously stagnant that a vacation into the wilderness is welcome. Iron is my bottleneck, so a little death every once in a while lets me rebuild my stores. In all honesty, death just feels a lot better post-mob trap. Every second is valuable iron-producing time. The same thing happens in Robinson Crusoe, actually. The guy spends 40 years in the wilderness and comes back to find that his plantation investments kept growing while he was away.

When I finally amass enough iron, I will never have to worry about dying again!

EDIT: I would like to say that I am very excited by the prospect of forum registration opening back up. The discord has been a fantastic landing pad for meeting new players and teaching the game, but discussion goes off topic often. I still yearn for a more organized place that is 100% BTW all the time. :) BTW is old, but interest is certainly not dead.
BTW Community Server Discord: https://discord.gg/arZpuYW
Spoiler
Show
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

EpicAaron wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:14 am EDIT: I would like to say that I am very excited by the prospect of forum registration opening back up. The discord has been a fantastic landing pad for meeting new players and teaching the game, but discussion goes off topic often. I still yearn for a more organized place that is 100% BTW all the time. :) BTW is old, but interest is certainly not dead.
Cool man. I hadn't thought of it that way with regards to having a place for more focused conversation. That'll kick me in the pants to move forward with opening things up, knowing that there's an audience for it.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

FlowerChild wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:29 am I hadn't thought of it that way with regards to having a place for more focused conversation.
This very much. Since I've gotten back into the game I've joined the discord for the first time. However making a post like the above just doesn't feel worthwhile on discord when it will just flow away so fast. I much prefer the forum format but with registration having been closed so long it feels like there's no life here anymore.
EpicAaron

Post by EpicAaron »

I have noticed that new members in the discord will sometimes cite the forums being down as a major factor for joining. It takes lurkers a bit to notice the discord links among the various signatures. I have been surprised by what seems like a steady inflow of new and returning players over the years. It isn't a lot by any means, but I have had to repeat information enough times that being able to link to fresh discussion threads would be useful for everybody.

I don't delude myself into thinking this place can ever be as bustling as a modern discord, but there is value to slower paced discussion. And as talk of addons and rebalancing grows, it will handy to be able to distinguish pure gameplay discussion from commentary.
Spoiler
Show
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Well my base isn't much but here it is. I'm pretty proud of it as it's my first post AAAHHHH windmill. Still haven't gotten redstone or diamonds yet.

Base overview
Spoiler
Show
Overlooking central command
Spoiler
Show
Refinery and more storage
Spoiler
Show
My very dangerous chicken farm. Note chicken and not chickens. :D
Spoiler
Show
EpicAaron

Post by EpicAaron »

That peninsula is some tactical positioning. If you embank that shoreline, you'll have a ready made fortress. One of my original camps was called "Moat Base," it was built out of the remains of a drowned village:
Spoiler
Show
It is a husk now, for the most part. The millstone is still hooked up, but this place once has a saw, kiln/crucible, and rudimentary packer. My original dog (tucked away in a nice dark box) and most of my original plants are still alive here.

The waterlogged farm gave me a natural courtyard to fortify. My cookfires, and eventually my cauldron, went here. Beyond spider attacks, I did not have to worry about very much. The giant tower in the background was constructed long after to house villagers. Originally constructed from cobblestones, it was rebuilt in stone after its chunks corrupted. It is defunct now, as I have moved most of the villagers to spawn.

The main room. Many nights were spent here watching the metal smelt while I dreamt of the domination to come.

There are other rooms and little easter eggs all over the place, but I'm not going to bother screenshotting everything rn.
Spoiler
Show
EpicAaron

Post by EpicAaron »

I thought I'd post a little sneak peak at the projects I have been working on. As far as my usual work ethic is concerned, these are mega-builds, possibly the largest projects I have ever set out to complete.

In the nether...
Spoiler
Show
This corridor is my home away from home. It contains an anti-fire beacon, a crucible for tool reforging, and an enchanting setup. Most of those chests are dedicated to netherrack waiting to be hauled back to the soul machine. I used to have to walk all the way back to spawn to get more tools and such, but transit was eating up hours of my accumulated time.

Here is why I need to be able to reforge my tools often:
I have been hacking away at this pit for a long time. I don't know the dimensions, I just know that it is very big. The soulforge beacon has made the job a lot less terrifying.

A sea of groth and a grove of bloodwood has done a decent job of protecting me from the native fauna. Invasives FTW!

I let the groth get a little too close, so a steel hazmat suit is required while working. (Although I have tried to boost efficiency by going out naked. Didn't end well.)

All of this for gold. I need a lot of gold. I want to build rails everywhere! I'm about halfway done, but I have seriously considered cutting the project in half and maybe reworking it later... we'll see how much longer I can endure the manual labor.
In the overworld...
Spoiler
Show

This is only the first layer of my fortress. It will be rimmed in fire. It will be massive, glorious, indomitable. I want to build something that the player cannot contain within their field of view even at a considerable distance.

The next layer involves silk touch and dark stone, but I still have a lot of cobblestone to gather in order to complete this layer. I think I will strip mine a hole for a new mob trap while gathering stone for the walls.
I'm excited to post the finished products. The nether trap specifically will allow me to significantly change how I navigate my world.
Spoiler
Show
EpicAaron

Post by EpicAaron »

It grows:
Spoiler
Show
You really need a giant flame wall to keep the monsters out.
Spoiler
Show
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

EpicAaron wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:18 am You really need a giant flame wall to keep the monsters out.
Nothing quite like flaming spiders falling from the heavens xD
Magical Shit
Show
Syruse|Work: i like magic shit
MagikEh: ...
MagikEh: >.>
MagikEh: <.<
»» MagikEh walks to the bathroom
Syruse|Work: hahaaaaaaaaa
Syruse|Work: wait
MagikEh: xD
Syruse|Work: fuck