New Release! (BTW 4.B0000001) - NO SPOILERS

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

New Release! (BTW 4.B0000001) - NO SPOILERS

Post by FlowerChild »

Version 4.B0000001 of Better Than Wolves is ready for download!

Download Link

This release contains the following changes:

-Added Hardcore Trim. This means that Shears are now required in order to harvest the top of Hemp plants, without also killing the bottom. Non-player harvesting (Pistons, Block Dispenser, etc.) isn't affected by this, so as to not interfere with existing builds.

-Added Straw as a new item. It is harvested from the bottom block of mature Wheat, and may be fed to cows and sheep.

-Added the ability for playas to enchant hoes.

-Changed Hemp to only drop seeds when the top of the plant is harvested, not the bottom. The texture has also been changed to reflect this.

-Changed Endermen to not be able to teleport onto block types that mobs can't spawn on (eg. wood). Light levels still do not affect this however.

-Changed the Iron, Gold, and Diamond Hoe recipes to consist of 3 Shafts in a vertical line, with a single ingot to the top/side, instead of the two ingots it previously required, to better balance it relative to other tools. The Refined Hoe recipe remains unchanged.

-Changed the Brick Oven to allow the player to add any size fuel (logs, etc.) when it is in the last visible stage of burning down (the non-whole-log texture) to make it a little more user friendly.

-Changed a number of mobs and animals to set fire to other entities that they attack while on fire, similar to how zombies worked previously.

-Changed a few things about how entities are unloaded to hopefully reduce the occurrences of players becoming invisible to each other.

-Changed (reduced) the time it takes to weave Wicker as it was rather excessive when making Hampers.

-Changed (refactored) how tool enchantability works internally to clean up the related code a bit.

-Fixed burning wolves and players dropping cooked instead of burned meat.

-Fixed a problem where Reeds could no longer be placed on blocks diagonal to water.

-Removed the recipe for Grass Planters as they opened up a number of exploits with regards to feeding animals, and they no longer really had an intended purpose within the mod. Such Planters already within your world are unaffected by this change, but new ones may no longer be created.

Boom.

-------------

If you'd like to say thanks for this release and help contribute to the further development of Better Than Wolves, please consider making a donation:

Whuppee

Re: New Release! (BTW 4.B0000001) - NO SPOILERS

Post by Whuppee »

YES! <3
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Whuppee wrote:YES! <3
AAAHHH! :)
karnak sam

Post by karnak sam »

I've been playing a new world and experimenting with trying to find a way to till ground without iron/better tools... Figuring 2 iron ingots being required to replenish wheat stores, I must be missing something. It felt almost unsustainable.

The new hoe recipe is perfect! You need tool materials, but only the lowest amount. Every time I raid a temple or mine 9 nuggets, my mind will release survival endorphins. And giving a "waste" material via wheat stalks that animals can consume incentivizes the plant in a very "out of the box thinking" way.

I've been quiet the past update or two because I didn't see where this all was going. Felt daunted but also figured more might be coming.

Thank you for this fleshing out of farming. Can we expect further changes to possible other crops in the future?

Madman. You.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

karnak sam wrote: I've been quiet the past update or two because I didn't see where this all was going. Felt daunted but also figured more might be coming.
I was saying in one of Whuppee's stream chats recently that I think I have about a dozen different design threads on the go right now, and I keep jumping back and forth between them as the mood strikes. I know this might seem rather random at times, but there is definitely a design intent (or several) behind all of it :)
Can we expect further changes to possible other crops in the future?
Yup, for sure. With recent releases I've been experimenting with a number of new farming mechanics that I plan on expanding further. A lot of times I eventually feel that it's time to get things that have been stockpiling out to you guys though before I move onto other tasks that might delay a release for an extended period.

So, bit of a smaller release this time, but there's some goodies here that I didn't want you guys to wait on further.
emptychild

Post by emptychild »

Ahhh!! That's what I was hoping you were going to do with wheat after the last version. Super excited.
https://twitter.com/FlowerChildXL/statu ... 5676872704

This just in! RTH to contain a TARDIS!
Spoiler
Show
FlowerChild wrote:But, before someone asks: the box will be blue. I like blue. It's a nice soothing color.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

emptychild wrote:Ahhh!! That's what I was hoping you were going to do with wheat after the last version. Super excited.
Yeah, I wavered on the straw with the initial release going back and forth on whether to include it or not. Seeing people get confused over what the bottom block did after the new wheat went out convinced me I should have put it in after all :)
Chomamonka

Post by Chomamonka »

“-Added the ability for playas to enchant hoes.”

HAHAHA

Just need to appreciate this ^

Love you FC
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

I just changed the link in the OP to a small "b" release which contains the following changes:

-Added new Wet Brick and Uncooked Nether Brick items as the interaction between the clay ball items being applicable as both mortar and placeable brick blocks was creating unnecessary interface confusion. They're created with a single item of the corresponding type in the crafting grid.

-Changed the various forms of mortar (Clay, Slime, and Nether Sludge) so that it can be applied to blocks regardless of whether you're sneaking or not. Hence the need for the above new items.

-Changed the color of Nether Sludge to help visually differentiate it from Nether Brick.

-Changed Buckets to no longer place as blocks for similar reasons. I need to rework that system before proceeding further as it was way too prone to unintended consequences like accidentally placing buckets in lava while sneaking. Until then, they may still be placed with Block Dispensers if you really feel the need to play with their block form.

-Fixed a duplication exploit with Wicker Slabs.

-Fixed an issue where mobs could spawn on ladders.
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

I'm excited to see how this continues to progress! Thanks for the update. Especially for the wicker weaving change, I'm able to complete my platform based bridge now.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

SterlingRed wrote:Especially for the wicker weaving change, I'm able to complete my platform based bridge now.
Jumping Jehova. See, when I added Hardcore Basket Weaving, it was with the intent of adding a later game method for easily creating Wicker, but I thought to myself "well, that can wait until another time, as who the hell is going to build extensively out of wicker anyways?" :P

Are you seriously doing the above? If so, I'll patch in an alternate method ASAP, as that's really not what I intended there.
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

FlowerChild wrote: Are you seriously doing the above? If so, I'll patch in an alternate method ASAP, as that's really not what I intended there.
Well, I started using platforms early game post saw because it was a non-gravity block and I didn't have much iron to invest in a packing machine at that point. I decided I liked the aesthetic over wood for certain structures and use it in bridges a lot. Don't take it as a priority, it can easily wait for a future release, you've given me plenty to do!
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

Building with wool blocks is the bigger impact for me which is basically impossible with weaving as the only source.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!