Best way to get ghast tears late game? [Spoilers]

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
ThatOneKid

Best way to get ghast tears late game? [Spoilers]

Post by ThatOneKid »

Now that you can't use soul urns to spawn ghasts, and squids no longer turn to ghasts next to nether portals, I haven't been able to find a good way of farming ghasts except if I made a large room for ghasts to spawn in and that doesn't seem very automated. If anyone has some advice I'd appreciate it! :)
EtherealWrath

Re: Best way to get ghast tears late game?

Post by EtherealWrath »

As a general rule for any mob grinder in the Nether
Spoiler
Show
Spread groth all over the Nether- it'll force Ghast spawns into your dedicated spawn room.
You'll have to be quite diligent and actively hunt about to ensure its spread to all areas around your farm.
Full suit of soulforge and a few stacks of urns comes in very useful here.
As for the Ghast farm itself; this is only a theoretical design since I've only gotten as far as building the outer structure of this machine.
Spoiler
Show
The main concept involved building a tall vertical room (5x5?, or 7x7?), and using a pulley/platform machine to push any spawned Ghasts down to the bottom of the room.
The ropes on the platform would be spaced such that they take up the spawn space required for a Ghast- so they can only ever spawn below the platform.
The floor of the room would be spawn friendly blocks, and use a combination of pistons and block dispensers to funnel the Ghasts into the saws, and then to push the drops through a sorting system.
(Block dispenser + piston has a two block 'throw' for moving stuff about- very useful in the Nether).

An alternative variation would be to use a row of platforms to pull Ghasts up into a saw, and use a row of pistons to knock any drops off the platforms. Use of a piston funnel to collect the loot.

If both designs failed, I probably would have made a narrow tall hollow pyramid structure to contain the spawns, and added multiple rows of saws in each wall to passively kill Ghasts as they randomly drift into them.
As a slight side note; this concept is a few years old now- going over the changelog I don't think FCs changed anything that'll throw a spanner in the works but I could be wrong.
Phantom screams echo through the ruined facility
A horrible silence builds an eerie tranquility
The souls of many innocent fill the air
The hope they all died with scattered down there
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Oh boy. No, I don't think I've changed anything that would mess with that stuff, BUT I also added a brand new form of Ghast farming that would make your lives much easier sometime over the past year.

I think I'll leave it to someone else to tell you about it though, as it's pretty spoilerifique.
ThatOneKid

Post by ThatOneKid »

Are you talking about the squid with Hardcore Nothing to Worry About? Because I couldn't get that to work. I can hear the souls transfer from the nether but the squids don't change. I'm not sure if the changelog "Squids are now Nothing To Worry About" was removing the feature or adding the feature.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Yup, that's what I'm referring to. It's still in the mod.
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

Spoilers on the process on why it maybe isn't working:
Spoiler
Show
The squids have to have air above them. They'll leap out of the water and turn into a ghast while they're in the air. So you need enough air for a ghast to fit.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
ThatOneKid

Post by ThatOneKid »

Oh that could be it. I've seen the squids go into the air and die. Just figured they were glitching into the wall