New Release! (BTW 4.B00) - NO SPOILERS

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

New Release! (BTW 4.B00) - NO SPOILERS

Post by FlowerChild »

Version 4.B00 of Better Than Wolves is ready for download!

Download Link

This release contains the following changes:

-Added Vegehenna. It's a feature. It's a way of life. It's a revolution. Vegehenna.

-Added Hardcore Weed, Hoes, and Basket Weaving.

-Added Bread Dough as a new item. It is crafted with three Flour and a Bucket of Water, and can be cooked in an oven or kiln to bake bread, replacing cooking flour directly.

-Added new flammable Wicker, Wicker Slab, Wicker Pane, Grate, and Slat blocks. I've split them off from some old combined block ID usage so they should now have more consistent and appropriate behavior overall (step sounds, applicable tools, etc.). All such blocks already in your world will not be affected by this change, and conversion recipes for old to new blocks have been provided for each block type.

-Added Hopper filtering attributes to a bunch of the newer items and blocks that have been added to the mod. I fell a bit behind on those, but they should hopefully all be accurate now.

-Added a more detailed change log for version 4.AFFFFFFF to the readme, which contains more spoilers than the original release.

-Changed Wicker textures to be lower contrast, to look a little more natural.

-Changed hats to be a little easier to wear.

-Changed Pistons to be more resistant to jamming on chunk load. I haven't diagnosed or corrected the underlying vanilla problems, but I put some code in place to check for when they're stuck in an invalid state with an unextended piston base having an extended piston arm, so that they can fix themselves the next time they're updated.

-Changed (reduced) the number of Donuts cooked in the Cauldron at a time from 4 to 2 to balance relative to the new bread recipe.

-Changed (rebalanced) the Cookie Dough recipe to require 4 Flour (plus Chocolate), rather than just 2.

-Changed the Pumpkin pie recipe to require 3 Flour (plus sugar, a whole pumpkin, and an egg) instead of 1.

-Change sheep to breed with Pumpkin Pie rather than cookies.

-Changed (refactored) a bunch of block and item code to clean things up a bit. This mostly had to do with the physical properties of items (and blocks in item form) such as buoyancy and Hopper filtering. The changes to Hopper filtering, and Block Dispenser block placement were particularly extensive so please let me know if you notice any problems there.

-Fixed a problem where Saws were not properly harvesting Vine blocks and other vegetation, and where they would not be appropriately powered if placed directly on a powered Axle.

-Fixed a problem where a large amount of hunger would sometimes be consumed while climbing ladders.

-Removed all modifiers to crop growth based on what blocks neighbor them. These were vanilla modifiers that were never well understood, and which were difficult to intuit, and thus I did not feel they contributed anything positive to gameplay.

Vegehenna and rejoice.

-------------

If you'd like to say thanks for this release and help contribute to the further development of Better Than Wolves, please consider making a donation:

emptychild

Re: New Release! (BTW 4.B00) - NO SPOILERS

Post by emptychild »

Nice to see plant based foods getting the same treatment as meat did previously. More food changes is always a scary prospect but you've got a pretty good track record so I guess we'll have to see how it goes.
https://twitter.com/FlowerChildXL/statu ... 5676872704

This just in! RTH to contain a TARDIS!
Spoiler
Show
FlowerChild wrote:But, before someone asks: the box will be blue. I like blue. It's a nice soothing color.
Whuppee

Post by Whuppee »

Thank you for everything, and
FlowerChild wrote:-Changed hats to be a little easier to wear.
LOL <3
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

-Change sheep to breed with Pumpkin Pie rather than cookies.
Ew, gross, tmi...
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
Panda

Post by Panda »

The title version scared me.

I'm really excited to try this later, googling vehehenna didn't yield anything except asking me is i meant vegamite.

Feeling really excited though
Never say no to Panda.
August West

Post by August West »

This is awesome!

I appreciate the details added to the readme. I noticed a few of the changes, but it is nice to have them all spelled out.

I think it is time to chip in to your beer fund. I encourage everybody else to do the same!
Kazuya Mishima

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

Panda wrote: googling vehehenna didn't yield anything
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gehenna
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Loving the enthusiasms. This release was an interesting design space for me, and I hope you guys have fun with it.
August West wrote: I think it is time to chip in to your beer fund. I encourage everybody else to do the same!
Thanks for that man! It's very much appreciated :)
And we have a winner. I was just about to link a definition myself.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

I remembered about this because of The Talos Principle.
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
JakeZKAM

Post by JakeZKAM »

Good god it's been something like 5 years since I last played, I thought about popping in and checking out how things were going along and updates are still chugging out. Kudos FC, been giving everything a try out for a few hours and maybe a dozen deaths now, my ass has been thoroughly kicked! :)
ko_teknik

Post by ko_teknik »

I love weaving mechanical process ! It replace my previous job :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Just changed the link in the OP to a 'b' release which contains the following changes:

-Changed (tweaked) the efficiency of hoes made of different material to be more pronounced.

-Changed the timing on Bellows slightly to make them a little more forgiving.

-Fixed a problem that was causing Bellows to occasionally miss a stroke, which would cause Stoked Fire to randomly die down, and was causing stuff like Kiln cooking to randomly get interrupted. I also applied this same fix to a number of other blocks (both mod and vanilla) that may have had less noticeable forms of it, as it turns out it was a rather obscure general problem with various kinds of block updates. It was just most noticeable with the Bellows and Kiln because of the slower timing.

-Fixed a problem where a detached collision box would remain above tilled earth after it had reverted to regular dirt, under certain circumstances.

-Fixed a problem where Redstone Repeaters were not properly updating their state when placed by a Block Dispenser.