Rain in the early game

The place to talk about how BTW might be different
Epsilon

Rain in the early game

Post by Epsilon »

On my recent new server I could convince a friend to join me to play on, we both observer an "unfun" behavior of ours.

The phenomenon is as follows:
When rain begins during the night and holds until morning, leaving our hidy hole seams way too risky to leave. So most of the time rainy starting day just means to spent more time in a hole and doing nothing (as cocking food, getting more stones and knitting only takes so much of your time /is not always possible). And that often leads to logging out (preserving food and fuel) and logging back in later (aiming for the next morning)

Observed problems:
leaving the hidy hole whilst mobs can still roam free outside has two main dangers:
spiders: remain aggressive, so need to be fought. Dangerous in combination with zombies and creepers
skeletons: don't need to take cover (becoming stationary artillery if they would have to), but chase you. Very dangerous imo

Logging out and in is of course an exploit possible in SMP only, and feeling somewhat cheaty as well...
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Rain in the early game

Post by FlowerChild »

Well, it's been awhile since I mentioned it, but keep in mind that BTW is largely designed for BTW only. I may make concessions here and there to improve the SMP experience, but the issue of SMP cheating is one that is too large for me to feel I can reasonably deal with while continuing to develop the main focus of the mod (SSP).
Epsilon

Post by Epsilon »

FlowerChild wrote:Well, it's been awhile since I mentioned it, but keep in mind that BTW is largely designed for BTW only. I may make concessions here and there to improve the SMP experience, but the issue of SMP cheating is one that is too large for me to feel I can reasonably deal with while continuing to develop the main focus of the mod (SSP).
Sure, and I hear some voice in my head telling me I read this before.

But then the intention wasn't so much to lay focus on preventing "cheating" in SMP.
I was more thinking in terms of: "hm, if I felt it was a bit less risky (skeletons, angry spiders) I might want to go out in the rainy morning" and "if there is some (early game) activity enhanced by rainy weather, I have an incentive to take the increased (and maybe slightly decreased) risk of rainy morning."

But it may also just be me playing over cautiously, after dying to creepers regularly while working on trees, or being shot by the friendly skeleton hanging out in the puddle right next to my door...
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Yes, but your whole point is based on having a backdoor around this in SMP, through logging out. If, as in SSP, you were forced to stay in your hole slowly starving to death with nothing to do instead of going outside, you might also be more motivated to take the risk.

You're essentially asking me to solve a problem that only exists within a specific mode of play, and due to your specific choice of behavior.
Epsilon

Post by Epsilon »

I still believe I have a point in saying rain could use some (other than boosting fishing) positive effect in the early game...
FlowerChild wrote:You're essentially asking me to solve a problem that only exists within a specific mode of play, and due to your specific choice of behavior.
But, I have to admit, and it's had for me, that's a good argument.
danielngtiger

Post by danielngtiger »

I find once I've acquired the requisite materials, that fishing during the rain is a very productive use of time during the otherwise painfully risky rainstorms. I recommend having a little bit of fishing hut type thing setup to slightly reduce the chance of brutal dismemberment, but it can really up your food supplies for some days. This is SSP so I'm not sure how well it applies on SMP (you might run out of bait) but I'd still give it a try.
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright before you hear them speak.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Epsilon wrote:I still believe I have a point in saying rain could use some (other than boosting fishing) positive effect in the early game...
Epsilon

Post by Epsilon »

ohhh, I want to build a snow castle!
(forgets everything he wanted to say before)

Well Played
;D