About the new spawning mechanics and fire (spoilers maybe?)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
jorgebonafe

About the new spawning mechanics and fire (spoilers maybe?)

Post by jorgebonafe »

So, I'm a bit stumped with the new spawning mechanics. As I understand, correct me if I'm wrong, in the overworld the only way to stop mobs spawning are with wood/wood derived blocks and light. I believe torches only burn blocks above it, so they can be used to stop spawns as before. But before the nether is reached, they only last for a while. Therefore, to make a base safe all the time the whole floor should be made with wood.

What about furnaces? Is it possible to keep a furnace room spawn safe now until you reach the nether, without burning the whole place down? I thought about putting all my furnaces near the ceiling to keep them away from the wood floor, but that is very inconvenient... I can't think of anything else I can do, other then sealing the room at all times and just expect mobs to spawn on it when the furnaces are off.
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
Niyu

Re: About the new spawning mechanics and fire (spoilers mayb

Post by Niyu »

You can add a skylight to the furnace room so it's safe during the day even if you are not there and not stray to far during the night. If you don't think you'll be able to reach it before night time, seal it with some dirt.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Also, your base does not need to be completely safe. Honestly, mine almost never is at the start of the game. The odds of a mob spawning are quite low, and a quick check upon arrival should ensure nothing is lurking in there.

Honestly, when I originally designed the new early game, it was not with slabbing in mind, so I was a little saddened when I saw people were doing this. A lot of the redesign of the spawn mechanics originated with my desire to get rid of that technique.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Yeah, I suppose I'll have to rewire my brain a little bit to get used to this idea.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

So yeah, I was definitely being over dramatic about this fire thing... So far I didn't even have any mobs spawn on my base, so all is going well.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

jorgebonafe wrote:So yeah, I was definitely being over dramatic about this fire thing... So far I didn't even have any mobs spawn on my base, so all is going well.
Well, it's not like I foster a keen sense of primal fear in the bowels of every BTW player :)
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Isn't that what we live for?