New Release! (BTW 4.ABCFEFE) - NO SPOILERS

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

New Release! (BTW 4.ABCFEFE) - NO SPOILERS

Post by FlowerChild »

Version 4.ABCFEFE of Better Than Wolves is ready for download!

Download Link

This release contains the following changes:

WARNING: This release substantially changes the rules of mob spawning, in ways that can result in brutal and unexpected dismemberment. Please make sure you understand the following changes thoroughly before playing in an existing world, lest you come home to a Creeper to the spleen, or to find your rustic wood mob trap's output has dropped to nothing.

-Added a new mob-spawning system that is listed as individual changes below, but as a summary of how it all works: mobs can now spawn on almost any shape of block, but are restricted by the materials they can spawn on. No mobs can spawn on wood, giant mushroom blocks, Mycelium. or Bedrock. Jungle spiders are the only mobs that can spawn on leaves (as before). In the nether, mobs may only spawn on Netherbrick or Netherrack (as before). That's it, that's all.

-Added new flammable giant mushroom blocks. This will not affect blocks already placed in your world, but since mushrooms will now potentially grow into giant flaming emblems of the apocalypse, be sure to check in on any farms you have that might be affected.

-Added Blocks of Iron and Gold Ore. These can either be created in the crafting grid with 9 ore, or through piston packing. They can be smelted in a Kiln for a full ingot, which provides both a means of smelting in bulk, and an alternate method of automating ore smelting.

-Added the ability to see where mobs can spawn in the Nether while wearing Ender Spectacles.

-Changed all mobs to be able to spawn on pretty much any kind of block. I may have missed some, but the goal here is to reach a point where if there's room for a mob to reasonably stand on a block, it can spawn there. If I forgot any, I'll correct them in the future, so please don't rely on block shape to prevent mob spawning anymore as it may change at any time.

-Changed mobs to not be able to spawn on blocks primarily made of wood (a thin surface layer like on Pistons and Turntables won't prevent spawning). The overall intent here is to make mob spawning less block type and more material dependent, both so that there's more of a progression and internal consistency to being able to build with spawn-proof blocks, and to further emphasize the unique building properties of different block types. Any flaming death that results is purely coincidental, as is any perceived glee I may seem to express at such events.

-Changed mobs to be able to spawn in 1-block high gaps if their body shape allows it. This mainly applies to the various types of spiders, but also prevents exploiting certain block shapes to create player walkable areas that mobs can't spawn in.

-Changed mobs to be able to spawn on ice. This was done to prevent frozen bodies of water from being big safe zones, especially in the early game.

-Changed mobs to be able to spawn on glass blocks to prevent glass from being a non-flammable, non-gravity-affected, non-mob-spawning, commonly-available, uber-material-of-doomy-doom-doom.

-Changed slimes to not be able to spawn on wood (like other mobs) in addition to their existing spawn restrictions, which remain unchanged from previous releases.

-Changed Ender Spectacles to accurately reflect all the changes to mob-spawning in this release. If you're uncertain if a particular block type can spawn mobs on top of it, then Ender Specs are an ideal way to find this out.

-Changed (refactored) how the burn times for various blocks work internally for the sake of simplifying the related code a bit.

-Changed (refactored) a metric dung-ton of block code, both vanilla and mod, in the process of fixing the collision thing I describe below. Please let me know if you run into any new weird block behavior, as it would be exceedingly unlikely that I didn't make a single mistake in the process. On the bright side, I made a number of small unlisted improvements as I went along as well.

-Changed a number of blocks to render fewer non-visible faces to help with performance, in the process of refactoring their code.

-Changed cows to panic if you attempt to milk one that doesn't have a full udder.

-Fixed a problem where spiders targeting something other than the player could wind up hanging around without despawning for an exceedingly long time.

-Fixed a few vanilla problems where mobs (and other entities, like items) would sometimes fall through slabs and other sub-blocks, which became more noticeable now that mobs can spawn on them. This is not related to the various visual glitches which can occur along these lines with entities bouncing between positions, but rather the entities themselves sometimes actually passing through the block. Major thanks to Alexander Gundermann (taurose) for diagnosing and thoroughly documenting several Minecraft collision bugs here: https://github.com/taurose/Unglitch, as the information he has provided has been invaluable in resolving some of these issues. This fix only covers the first issue (the race condition) he describes (as well as some secondary issues I discovered), but I'll likely be verifying and fixing a number of the problems he documents in upcoming releases. Suffice it to say there are a LOT of collision issues in 1.5.2.

-Fixed vanilla problem where mobs and animals would get stuck in blocks and sometimes suffocate on chunk load. This corresponds to item 3 (Floating Point Errors on Entity Load) in the documentation linked above. Note that when loading old saves or chunks you may still see such errors occur, as the mobs in question will have already been saved embedded within those blocks, but it won't happen again to any new or non-embedded mobs after that first load.

-Fixed vanilla AI/pathfinding problems with animals getting stuck in fence corners (or the corners of other partial blocks) and refusing to move unless pushed out. I greatly reduced such entities lingering excessively around non-corner edges as well, as they were often times trying to move through those blocks instead of pathing away from them before this fix.

-Fixed a problem where ground cover (snow and ash) resting around cobble walls would change the shape of the wall.

-Fixed an issue where Hand Cranks could no longer rest on top of Mill Stones, for I am a river to my people.

-Fixed a problem where dedicated servers would crash on startup if they were using the mod's config file.

-Fixed a problem with the Saw block playing a sawing sound when first placed, and under some other odd circumstances.

-Fixed a vanilla problem that was limiting the number of mobs that would spawn in flat areas with lots of ground cover like snow, or tall grass. This was particularly noticeable in superflat worlds where it would prevent mobs from spawning entirely, but affected general mob spawning as well.

-Fixed a problem where Iron Chisels could not be stuck as blocks into Cobblestone.

-Fixed a problem where Pickaxes could be stuck as blocks into glass.

-Fixed a problem where Jack'O'Lanterns would still drop a torch when extinguished by water, even though they are now crafted with a Candle.

-Fixed a vanilla issue where some chunks would not properly render, even though they were fully loaded on the client, resulting in lines of missing chunks in the world. Much thanks to Andrés del Campo Novales for providing a very simple solution to this problem here: https://bugs.mojang.com/browse/MC-129 . Please let me know if you see any new chunk or visual oddities as I suspect there might be a bit more work to be done here. I've seen what felt to be a few weird things here and there, but overall this feels like too big an improvement to do without.

-Removed the config files options for limiting slime and nether mob spawning. Given the extent to which mob spawning has now changed, configuring individual aspects of its behavior is no longer feasible, and I do not believe these options were used much anyways.

-Removed all the high-efficiency crafting recipes involving stone sub-blocks, as they were rendered obsolete by the inclusion of Stone Bricks in the last release.

Happy Holidays Everyone!

-------------

If you'd like to say thanks for this release and help contribute to the further development of Better Than Wolves, please consider making a donation:

rockoutwill

Re: New Release! (BTW 4.ABCFEFE) - NO SPOILERS

Post by rockoutwill »

Well tickle my pickle! A Christmas release!

I'm incredibly excited and Oh so very worried.

Good work on that bug hunting ;)

Edit:
LOVE the kiln change
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

rockoutwill wrote: LOVE the kiln change
The funny part of that Kiln change is that is how I originally planned Kiln Ore smelting to work, but at some point I brainfarted and thought "why don't I just place individual chunks instead?"

Got the answer to my own question shortly after release when I was reminded that chunks don't block water flow as is the standard I try to follow for all blocks without collision volume :)

Anyways, all good in the end, as we now have methods for smelting individual nuggets and the bulk option for good measure.
Panda

Post by Panda »

When daddy flower comes home with a new update and we all gather around to see:

But thank you so much for the smelting changes to ore.
Never say no to Panda.
Veracity

Post by Veracity »

Thanks for all of the bug fixes! A lot of these were longstanding vanilla problems which I had just sort of accepted as part of the game so I'm surprised and excited to see them finally going away.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Veracity wrote:Thanks for all of the bug fixes! A lot of these were longstanding vanilla problems which I had just sort of accepted as part of the game so I'm surprised and excited to see them finally going away.
It may sound odd but I'm actually really excited about having those bugs gone too. They were blocking some features that I planned years ago, so I'm quite stoked on being able to finally tie up some loose design ends I had left dangling, in coming releases :)
gaga654

Post by gaga654 »

Merry christmas, thanks FC! Changing mob spawns to be based on material seems like such an elegant solution, and totally fits with previous mob spawning behavior (slimes+nether mobs). Glad to see the end of slabbing :)
Also just to confirm, mobs should be able to spawn inside of all collision-less blocks (pressure plate, tall grass, flowers, etc), right?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

gaga654 wrote: Also just to confirm, mobs should be able to spawn inside of all collision-less blocks (pressure plate, tall grass, flowers, etc), right?
Yup, same as always. Also worth noting is that they can also spawn inside drying bricks, which I only realized a few weeks ago.

A nice wooden frame to dry them on will solve that problem though :)
jackatthekilns

Post by jackatthekilns »

FlowerChild wrote:
-Changed cows to panic if you attempt to milk one that doesn't have a full udder.
This might be the scariest thing in this release. :)
Thanks so much for all the work you do.
Whuppee

Post by Whuppee »

Thank you!! <3
Renegrade

Post by Renegrade »

Hey man, thanks for the update! You hit most of my complaints in a single patch hehe :) Plus, a bunch of cool-sounding stuff.

Glad to see BTW's still going strong. Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays/all the best!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

You're most welcome guys! Hope a little BTW helps ease any familial tensions you may experience over the next few days :)
Renegrade wrote: Glad to see BTW's still going strong. Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays/all the best!
Dude! So cool to hear from you again, and so glad to see you're still enjoying the mod :)
Renegrade

Post by Renegrade »

FlowerChild wrote:Dude! So cool to hear from you again, and so glad to see you're still enjoying the mod :)
Of course, man! I'll be enjoying it as long as I'm able to play games. One of the few places I can get any sort of challenge and progression. For example, I was reading on the vMC wiki about how they'd very strongly reduced food consumption. REDUCED? Like it's hard in vMC to punch a tree, make a wooden sword and hoe, and stab some pigs / hoe some ground and be well fed for the next in-game week...

Anyhow, it warmed my heart to see the BTW was still a thing! I started a new game with the previous version in the first time in .. well, seems like forever, and have been enjoying it immensely! (Of course, I like fire so.. hehe)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Renegrade wrote: Anyhow, it warmed my heart to see the BTW was still a thing! I started a new game with the previous version in the first time in .. well, seems like forever, and have been enjoying it immensely! (Of course, I like fire so.. hehe)
I'd really enjoy hearing your thoughts on the new early game sometime man :)

And yeah, I don't go near vanilla these days. My last attempt, I noticed the auto-jump almost immediately, and was instantly soured even after realizing I could turn it off. I think I'm particularly saddened when I see some of the small incentives towards building that are there, removed from the base game.
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

Thanks for the Christmas gift, FC! Now to open up my mob farm to replace all the wooden platforms...

I do really like though that this gives a way to stop mob spawns without having to light things up, which feels a little less cheaty than the old way.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

dawnraider wrote:Thanks for the Christmas gift, FC! Now to open up my mob farm to replace all the wooden platforms...
Oh no man, you serious? When I was designing that feature one of the "pros" that I saw for wood was that I thought it unlikely anyone would be building mob-traps out of it given how easily it would have been to set the whole structure off with a misplaced torch during construction.

Sorry about that man. The unfortunate consequence of such sweeping changes is that someone is bound to get shafted by them :\
Panda

Post by Panda »

It happens, does anyone have any good gravity-defying replacements for the wooden planks I used in my mob farm? Will glass work?
Never say no to Panda.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Just updated the link in the OP to direct to a 'b' version with the following changes:

-Added recipes to convert Iron and Gold Ore Blocks back into chunks.

-Fixed a problem with pickaxes not being effective on Netherbrick stairs and a few other Netherbrick based blocks.

Now please excuse me while I return to my festive beverages :)
karnak sam

Post by karnak sam »

My mob trap was wooden as well, but I'm about to rock a sweet packing device and use packed earth in a grand refurbishment. If you didn't want that you can always have the wood supporting your dirt. You'd have fewer levels but ive heard taller mobtraps are all the rage :)

1 quintillion thanks and lavations for fixing the chunk glitching. This has been immersion breaking AND exploitive when I spotted a fortress underground. Happened 3 times in about as many years.

Merry Christmas, you glorious monster! We love you.
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

FlowerChild wrote:
dawnraider wrote:Thanks for the Christmas gift, FC! Now to open up my mob farm to replace all the wooden platforms...
Oh no man, you serious? When I was designing that feature one of the "pros" that I saw for wood was that I thought it unlikely anyone would be building mob-traps out of it given how easily it would have been to set the whole structure off with a misplaced torch during construction.

Sorry about that man. The unfortunate consequence of such sweeping changes is that someone is bound to get shafted by them :\
Not a problem :) The main reason I made it from wood was that it was cheap, and I made it long before torches set fire to anything. Because it's above ground it's not even hard to fix, just pop a couple holes in the roof.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

karnak sam wrote:Merry Christmas, you glorious monster! We love you.
Awww...shucks man. Thank you. I needed that :)
LannyRipple

Post by LannyRipple »

Panda wrote:It happens, does anyone have any good gravity-defying replacements for the wooden planks I used in my mob farm? Will glass work?
From the changelog glass should now work (and would probably look rather fetching if you were to light things up). We've just restarted but it occurs to me I probably used wood on my last mob farm as well because of the gravity defying nature. Unless you are going for the chance at swords and shovels in the early game though I'd imagine most mob farms don't get constructed until you can melt the iron down so (starting with) glass shouldn't be a roadblock.
Renegrade

Post by Renegrade »

FlowerChild wrote:I'd really enjoy hearing your thoughts on the new early game sometime man :)
I'll definitely make a separate, detailed write-up at some point. But in short, it's very good. I love the fire-related stuff, the extended usage we get out of the in-inventory crafting grid (the vMC "it's just to make torches and crafting table" thing was a pet peeve of mine), and the enhanced progression in storage and wood gathering/crafting and such.
FlowerChild wrote:And yeah, I don't go near vanilla these days. My last attempt, I noticed the auto-jump almost immediately, and was instantly soured even after realizing I could turn it off. I think I'm particularly saddened when I see some of the small incentives towards building that are there, removed from the base game.
Yeah, man, it's nuts. They just throw in features at random, there's little sense of progression or theme or anything....

Anyhow, gotta go back to figuring out how to make a stompy-monster safe hemp farm (the FEFE version changed the spawnyness of hoed dirt blocks it seems)...hehe.
Panda wrote:It happens, does anyone have any good gravity-defying replacements for the wooden planks I used in my mob farm? Will glass work?
If you can make glass, I'm pretty sure you can make smoothstone. In my previous game, I'd built my monster trap by putting down a massive wooden platform, and then spilling four cement buckets on it.
karnak sam

Post by karnak sam »

Before I post a bug report I want to ask if there is any change in this or any previous version I may have missed that would allow you to swim while starving to death or hcspawn with half hunger/health?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

karnak sam wrote:Before I post a bug report I want to ask if there is any change in this or any previous version I may have missed that would allow you to swim while starving to death or hcspawn with half hunger/health?
If you're not sure if something is a bug, please post it to tech support. The release thread is definitely NOT the place for it.