automate making of cobblestone and brickstone?

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
ion

automate making of cobblestone and brickstone?

Post by ion »

with the new changes is there a way to automate making of cobble or brickstone. i tried using a BD with clay or slime balls but it doesn't push the slime into the cracks. is there a way apart silk touch?
Veracity

Re: automate making of cobblestone and brickstone?

Post by Veracity »

As far as I know there's no way to get the mortared versions of cobblestone, bricks, stone bricks, and nether bricks into your inventory except by using a silk touch pick. This unfortunately means that for now the cool endgame subblock recipes for those block types are mostly inaccessible.

That being said, with the changes in the last release it's now possible to make a machine which automatically converts loose stones to smoothstone blocks. I haven't built it yet but I have a design in my head for a machine which dispenses eight loose stones, packs them together, runs lava over the resulting block to fill in the gaps, runs water over the block to cool the lava down, and then picks up the final smoothstone block with a block dispenser. All that's missing is a way to automatically break a smoothstone block into its constituent nine loose stones and I'd be able to generate infinite stone with no manual intervention.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Veracity wrote:All that's missing is a way to automatically break a smoothstone block into its constituent nine loose stones and I'd be able to generate infinite stone with no manual intervention.
That part won't be happening :)

Wanting to get rid of infinite automatic stone generation was the whole thing I was trying to achieve with getting rid of vanilla cobble gens, so that last step is very intentionally absent from the mod.
Panda

Post by Panda »

Hmm i don't think many have utilize the new smooth stone creation procedure. I have a lava and water source generated at the same level in a ravine that I have some plans for but I'm not sure how it will work.
Never say no to Panda.
ion

Post by ion »

i don't use the new smoothstone generator as i don't see any reason for it. at first i thought it would make cobblestone and brickstone but i didn't read the changes properly.
i made some type of an semi-auto cobblemaker with 2 BDs and a pushing piston. i stay and spam slime jelly on the passing loose cobble and the bd on the other side picks it up.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

ion wrote:i don't use the new smoothstone generator as i don't see any reason for it.
I'm not sure what you mean here. The purpose would be to create smoothstone as a building material, no?
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

I think the point is that smooth stone generators would have primarily been used to make stone bricks, but now that stone bricks are made in a different manner there's much less point to make a smooth stone generator, given that stone bricks are much better for aesthetics.

Edit: although you can use the stone as an item to make more bricks so nevermind
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

dawnraider wrote:I think the point is that smooth stone generators would have primarily been used to make stone bricks, but now that stone bricks are made in a different manner there's much less point to make a smooth stone generator, given that stone bricks are much better for aesthetics.

Edit: although you can use the stone as an item to make more bricks so nevermind
Yeah, it's still pretty central for any bulk stone brick production.

I'm getting the distinct impression that this thread is just a thinly veiled automated mortar application suggestion thread that is quickly going off the rails given I'm not down with sticking to that script.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

@ion Just an FYI: If as I suggested, this was just your way of making a feature request, it would have been way easier for all of us if "manually applying mortar to large volumes of stone is a pain in the ass" post had been made in feedback, to which I would have responded with something along the lines of:

"Yeah, that's already on my todo list. Just got to get to it".

The intended purpose of the new lava/smoothstone mechanic is to provide smoothstone in bulk, which it most definitely does. The mortar thing is something else entirely, which will come in due time.