Red Dead Redemption 2

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Taleric

Red Dead Redemption 2

Post by Taleric »

I never buy AAA and seldom new releases, super hyped for RDR2.

Things were looking good a few months ago and it just gets better. I was so so on GTA V years later on sale.

What sold me was that I might recapture the total immersion I got from Fallout 4 on survival mode.

The morbidity and risk/reward appears on par also!
Spoiler
Show
I just watched a player riding their horse haphazardly, bolt off a substantial drop, come crashing into an opposite rockface. After crashing the horse layed there twitching and I thought it was a bug, nope it's body was shattered and it twitched in agony. The player then purposeful knelt down and put a dagger into its heart ending the horse. Beautiful, sad and impressive.
For anyone who is on the wagon, almost there! Can't wait.
jorgebonafe

Re: Red Dead Redemption 2

Post by jorgebonafe »

Freaking console exclusives.....
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

jorgebonafe wrote:Freaking console exclusives.....
I know right? I really want this one, but fuck consoles
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

I'd be in the same boat but 3 years ago I needed a new DVD player and figured I might as well get something multipurpose.

Now I could not see playing some titles on PC. I know I could just hook my PC to the TV but the ease of use and comfort of a console is very real.

Only bad side some things do not run stellar and some titles I could see playing on either platform (long dark, spin tires, ect.)
Daisjun

Post by Daisjun »

After buying Halo 5 recently and having to endure a 50GB patch before I could even play it, consoles can fuck right off. What is even the point of them these days?
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

There is a benefit to devs in knowing exact system specification to shape and mold their experiance around.

If there was a more robust PC style system that was uniform in operation and had a massive ownership base I'd buy that over a counsel in a heart beat.

I had been PC only since 97 but have to admint I have invested countless hour resolving system issues to get games just to run correctly; additionally I have games where I love the concept but run so poorly I'd have to build a $3000 rig to enjoy them.

Ultimately I do bemoan the "peasant" consoles but there are tons of reasons they have survived in the last 20 years of major PC growth.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Yeah, exactly what Taleric said. While I'm almost exclusively PC now, I went console both personally and professionally between around 2000-2010 covering everything from Dreamcast to XBox 360, and having consistent hardware that is guaranteed to function the same in everyone's home is a HUGE advantage. From a consumer perspective, being able to buy one box and know it'll function for X years without having to be replaced by a newer model or without dealing with a wide range of configuration issues, is a big bonus.

It also allows for interesting experiments like the Wii controllers where you're guaranteed a sufficient install base for developers to support it, where something like that wouldn't even make a blip in the PC market.

Anyways, just to say there are definitely advantages. I used to play the hell out of Redemtion 1 on the 360 though, so I'm sad it won't be coming to PC (neither did the original).
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

I really just wanted to play Breath of the Wild... But I'd have to buy a Switch that in here costs the equivalent of 620 dollars. And I would, but that is the only game in this console I'm interested in. What am I supposed to do after I beat it? Sell it again and waste some more money? So yeah, for now I'm sticking to pc... :(
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
Gormador

Post by Gormador »

FlowerChild wrote: (...) so I'm sad it won't be coming to PC (neither did the original).
GTA V eventually came to the PC, so there is hope for this one too, right? Or did they confirm it would be a firm exclusive?
FlowerChild wrote:If you have a suggestion, I recommend that it have pure manna from heaven flowing forth from its vagina to warrant posting it at this point in time.
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

I have seen nothing official for PC but some devs had work titles that listed "PC" as in porting ect. (They were quickly removing titles when pointed out) After the success of the multiple GTA V releases and online it would be silly not to make the PC sales too.

So I'm done with the "tutorial", good opening and now free roaming; it is everything that had been imagined. The game is basically a portal to 1899.

The visuals, hunting, riding, shooting, customization are all great. The part that really is blowing me away is how alive it is; nothing feels forced, everything feels IRL organic. I even have to shave daily XD. There are so many people in the towns with no performance hit, zero effort to suspend disbelief. You can greet everyone as you would or talk in more detail seamlessly. Any moment where you don't have move control are 5-10 sec clips in pivotal parts of missions that you have to ride to and start up.

The people are not just "there", everyone is going about their day. The general store and gun shop owners have probably been the least mobile but that is understandable.

I feel bad for Cyberpunk 2077 and other games in this openworld model, it will be a feat to beat let alone match what has been done. The era and location of the game does lend itself to the presentation because current tech is at the point to model how many people were out on the frontier; tough to get this depth with metropolis hords.