A fungusy question (about mushroom spread mechanics)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
petarts

A fungusy question (about mushroom spread mechanics)

Post by petarts »

So i was wondering what the most efficient way to farm mushrooms is. My current design is putting one mushroom in the center of a 3 by 3 square and then having such squares separated by 3 blocks on all aides from other such square. But i was wondering if maybe it would be more efficient if brown and red mushrooms can grow freely next to one another. So the question on hand is: do brown and red mushrooms interfere with the other type of mushrooms to spawn or do they hamper only the growth of their own type. I guess it could make sense for them not to as they're a different plant and would use different resources from the ground to grow, but on the other hand. They could also just be competing species.

So. More clearly. The question at hand is. Can red mushrooms grow if there are a lot of brown nearby and can brown grow if there are a lot of red nearby.

I know this is kind of a "gamey" question. But it would be good to know for more efficient mushroom farms.
Mesh

Re: A fungusy question (about mushroom spread mechanics)

Post by Mesh »

Well, they can grow and as far as I know they don't intefere with each other's growth frequency directly. However, with that said with brown mushrooms filling up the spaces, it leaves less room for red mushrooms to spread, and vice versa.

Personally I grow them separate, red mushrooms are easily grown compared to brown so I usually just stick them under the wall on a corridor, let them spread passively and i just harvest them as i walk past. Brown mushrooms I grow in a separate room pitch black, slabbing the whole room except for 1 block high areas where I plant the mushrooms.
August West

Post by August West »

Mesh wrote:Well, they can grow and as far as I know they don't intefere with each other's growth frequency directly. However, with that said with brown mushrooms filling up the spaces, it leaves less room for red mushrooms to spread, and vice versa.

Personally I grow them separate, red mushrooms are easily grown compared to brown so I usually just stick them under the wall on a corridor, let them spread passively and i just harvest them as i walk past. Brown mushrooms I grow in a separate room pitch black, slabbing the whole room except for 1 block high areas where I plant the mushrooms.
Does that mean mushrooms can grow on half slabs, or am I misinterpreting?
Mesh

Post by Mesh »

no they dont grow on half slabs, half slabs are there so mobs wont spawn in the dark since brown mushrooms need pitch black, the blocks u put the mushrooms on u make them one block high so the mushrooms can be planted but the ceiliing of the comes right down so mobs cant spawn on the blocks with the mushrooms, if that makes sense
petarts

Post by petarts »

All dark mushroom farms seems to be something that monsters being able to spawn on slabs will break. Alongside monster grinders that exclude spiders from spawning. I can't wait to finish my mushroom farm and set up a light system for it. I'll share a picture when it's ready but i don't think that i will be able to make it all that pretty as sadly i am not a good builder.