[Spoilers] Ghastly Question (Probably Nothing t Worry About)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Fret

[Spoilers] Ghastly Question (Probably Nothing t Worry About)

Post by Fret »

So, since the last few updates, I’ve had ghasts spawning in the Overworld at my main base. So far I’ve shot them all down, but I’m afraid that at some point they’ll hit something of value. Because I also like building with wood, I would really like them to stop spawning, but I’m not sure how they are spawning.

My base is coastal and my nether portal is located on an island of the coast. At the moment the portal is out in the open, without any structure around nor above it.

At first I thought that the portal was converting squids into ghasts, since they all spawn above the water. But, they do seem to spawn up pretty high in the sky and I sat and watched the portal for a while and I didn’t see anything happening. Then I thought it might be thunderstorms, but they also appear when the skies are clear.

So, I’m kinda stumped. Maybe it’s just the portal itself that is spawning the ghasts, and should I just build some structure around it? Any advice is welcome.

Edit: Added Spoiler tag to the title
Last edited by Fret on Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Niyu

Re: Ghastly Spoilery Question (Probably Nothing to Worry Abo

Post by Niyu »

Since the topic is not tagged as a spoiler thread i'll use a spoiler box.
Spoiler
Show
The portal is not spawning the ghast directly. But it is definitely responsible for you ghast infestation. Your first thought was actually correct.
Taleric

Re: [Spoilers] Ghastly Question (Probably Nothing t Worry Ab

Post by Taleric »

I'd say make a grinder or close the portal but I want to hear more and more desperate reports XD
Fret

Post by Fret »

Thanks for the confirmation Niyu, although I still have to sight the metamorphosis in situ. Generally there are a bunch of squids beached like whales on my portal island, but no matter how long I stare at them, they apparently are only willing to transform (evolve?) behind my back. The new mechanic does make a lot of sense. Before the squids were, strangely, the only overworld creatures unaffected by portals and the new method of farming ghasts is way more interesting than the old way of having a dispenser throw a soul urn. (I wonder if a chain reaction could be set up, to first use cows to breed squids and then transform those into ghasts). Also, it’s sort of poetic that squid farming allows you to make health pots and their evolution health regen pots.

Anyway, I am in no position right now to start farming ghasts and I also don’t want to put a giant umbrella structure eyesore at my coastline. Since there are just so many water blocks, that I don’t think I could possibly control the squid spawning and/or metamorphosis, so I ended up closing the portal. Kind of a shame though, because I really liked the location. But maybe if I build a tower and put the portal high enough, it will be out of range of the squids.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Fret wrote:But maybe if I build a tower and put the portal high enough, it will be out of range of the squids.
I personally find nether portal towers to be a really interesting base design element. I tend to make evil looking towers the central element of a lot of my bases.

I'm still working on my tower of flesh in my current world given I've only spent a few minutes at a time at my main base since I initially started working on AAAAHHH. Each time I return home, I tend to just collect my mob-trap output and add to the tower before throwing myself off it again:
Spoiler
Show
Makes a nice little ritual of sacrifice... to myself I guess :)
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

FlowerChild wrote:
Makes a nice little ritual of sacrifice... to myself I guess :)
So...do you leap onto the pile of balls?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

SterlingRed wrote:So...do you leap onto the pile of balls?
Depends on my mood.