really basic setup.. what am i doing worng?

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
grimper12341

Re: really basic setup.. what am i doing worng?

Post by grimper12341 »

:( kay
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

grimper12341 wrote:Or maybe take a look at the world I uploaded for you >.>
He's trying to make a basic tree farm, and you're giving him a Piston-based tree farm ... lol.
Way to kill his motivation :p
He needs to start a bit lower to understand more about redstone and how it works man ^^
But it was nice of you to upload it for him, just a bit too soon ;)
You should upload it in the Tree farm topic though.

And you don't necessarily lose any wood with the Saw version, you just need to use water correctly ;)
Here's my setup :
As you can see, the water flows on top of the Dispenser, and harvest all of the planks.
Here's the vid if you haven't seen it :
Spoiler
Show
grimper12341

Post by grimper12341 »

But I learned redstone from making that tree farm in the first place Q.Q

Me took the basic ideas of the lift mechanism and the log collector from finite8's design, then searched the wiki for components that did the things I needed, which was basically just piston clocks, T Flip-flops, RS-NOR latches, and something to trigger the RS-NOR latches (pulse generators).

</3
Last edited by grimper12341 on Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

grimper12341 wrote:But I learned redstone from making that tree farm in the first place Q.Q

</3
I would have given up if I had started with something like that ^^ Hence my previous post.
And even now, it took me several days, and many headaches, to have the piston version working perfectly, and I don't want to ever build one again :p
But congrats if that was your first redstone build man :)
grimper12341

Post by grimper12341 »

Well yeh it took me like a week but at the end it was so beautiful <3

And if you build it right there's no restrictions on the tree, which means it grows very often and ends up giving you much more wood (kinky) than the stack'o'saws design.
Beerkeg

Post by Beerkeg »

see battosay that is closer to what im trying to build. now i just need to figure out a way to flood the top of my dispenser blocks without wiping all my restone cricuitry like i just did :P
Beerkeg

Post by Beerkeg »

so after it has been working for a bit with lots and lots of bonemeal.. all of a sudden my inverters are all broken...

once the inverted chances states once the torch on the side of the block refuses to return to its original state.. how BS it that..
Haven't destroyed or moved anything but there is no way those inverter torches are going back to starting state... sigh
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Yeah, this crap happens to me oftenly too. It's happening when you log off at the exact moment where they're changing state. I've never been able to fix this problem. The only solution I have when it happens is to place the torch on a block somewhere else ... :/
Beerkeg

Post by Beerkeg »

yeah i have even removed the block completyly to replace it still no luck... grrrrr
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Beerkeg wrote:see battosay that is closer to what im trying to build. now i just need to figure out a way to flood the top of my dispenser blocks without wiping all my restone cricuitry like i just did :P
when in doubt, power dispensers from below. My first few tries at tree generators ended with the leaves from the very tree I was supposed to be harvesting destroying my wiring >.<

A good BTW progression for redstone things is something like this, as each level is simple after having done the others:
- Cobblestone generator
- Multi-tools (swapping between a powered millstone and saw, or between the kiln, cauldron and crucible)
- Semi-automatic obsidian generator
- simple tree farms
- simple battosay-level things
- complex tree farms
- crazy battosay-level things

I'm finishing my new tree farm atm, hopefully by tonight so I can get some SSs together for it. I think I might actually finish this one ^.^
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Beerkeg

Post by Beerkeg »

yeah i have a bellows using turntable under a cauldron already. got a simple elvevator already .. that tree farm is just the next toy i wanted to build :P

also atm i haven't build a cruicible as of yet just because im not sure what i would do with it :P
grimper12341

Post by grimper12341 »

Beerkeg wrote: also atm i haven't build a cruicible as of yet just because im not sure what i would do with it :P
Recyclable steel tools and armor :D

Never have to worry about running out of tools/stuff to make tools again ^^

Also, build my complex tree farm or else <.<
Beerkeg

Post by Beerkeg »

tools? i mine with TNT :P
M!C

Post by M!C »

Beerkeg wrote:tools? i mine with TNT :P
For recources? Wow, that's a lot of mining you must be doing! ;)
Beerkeg

Post by Beerkeg »

M!C wrote:
Beerkeg wrote:tools? i mine with TNT :P
For recources? Wow, that's a lot of mining you must be doing! ;)
Dang it allright you caught me.. ill admit i exploit my kids and have em gather meterials for me.. but i always let em use stone tool cause they have a tendency to dive in lava quite too often to take the risk of letting them carry steel tools :P
grimper12341

Post by grimper12341 »

<.< with that kind of slave labour force shouldn't you have more than enough iron, netherack and coal to spare? D:

You should make the lil bastards work harder if you don't D:<
Beerkeg

Post by Beerkeg »

grimper12341 wrote:<.< with that kind of slave labour force shouldn't you have more than enough iron, netherack and coal to spare? D:

You should make the lil bastards work harder if you don't D:<
iron and coal yes.. as for netherrack.. hell no im not letting em go gather that.. lol way to much way to die in the nether and that is even on pacefull,, lol
Beerkeg

Post by Beerkeg »

Battosay after studying your video ive tried to replicate.. it was not something eay but i have managed :P
My only question is how did you pulled that off without using delayers?
I had to use a whole 7 repeaters to max settings to delay the replanting enough for the sappling not to get wiped by remaining water:P
Spoiler
Show
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

There's a detector in the floor, seeing the water, sending a signal through a monostable circuit when it's turning off (so when the water goes away)
Beerkeg

Post by Beerkeg »

hmm that must be why yours is so compact :P
grimper12341

Post by grimper12341 »

Had a brain wave and redesigned my farm a little bit if you is interested. Managed to cut out 3 components and get rid of that extra room of circuitry from steps 8-12. So now it's 10 components total with the wiring in between, although the wiring has gotten a tad messier.
grimper12341

Post by grimper12341 »

Here's the new version anyway is case anyone else is interested:

http://www.mediafire.com/?bw31jf435m08sib

Couple of notes:

- I have no idea why, but the pulse generator has just started being buggy for me. Doesn't always send a pulse when it receives a signal like it's supposed to. Was working absolutely fine before, possibly it's just lag or something on my end screwing it up. But if the tree doesn't start getting pushed up as soon as the world loads, it means the pulse generator has bugged.

- I included a Guide.txt in the zip, the numbers in there correspond to the numbers on the signs ingame, and has more detailed information about each component.

- If you wanna take apart the lift mechanism, stop the water first. Every block above you is holding back water, so if you break one you will flood all the wiring and break it.

- There's also a semi automatic wheat/hemp farm above you, and a cool mob grinder in my underwater mob farm, which you get to by taking the minecart railway which starts near my wood house.

- Also there's a bunch of semi automatic production facilities under my house, and an airlock style door protecting the back way in.

- It's not quite finished. Havn't finished the bit where saplings are collected from the water and put back in the dispenser, so if you wanna use the design, you will need to restock the sapling dispenser every so often.

EDIT: Crap seems I destroyed a bit of redstone when I was testing that buggy pulse generator and didn't replace it. Re-uploading the world now.

EDIT 2: Found a flaw in my new design. Cancelling upload coz I needa fix it xD

EDIT 3: Okies fixed and back up now.

EDIT 4: Sigh why is nothing working properly u.u . Stupid mediafire had the same download link for the old and new version of that world, fixed it now, sorry to the one person who's downloaded already x.x