really basic setup.. what am i doing worng?

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Beerkeg

really basic setup.. what am i doing worng?

Post by Beerkeg »

so here is a hmm i can't really call it a tree farm yet.. id say tree planter?

so basically the lower Bd places dirt the top one places sapling.. or it should.

I must have done the wiring wrong but i just can't figur out what it is.. the 2 block dispersers are wired exactly the same way but only the dirt is coming out
Spoiler
Show
here is the front view
Spoiler
Show
Urian

Re: really basic setup.. what am i doing worng?

Post by Urian »

Not certain but since it's indeed a very basic setup I'm guessing that the top dispenser tries to plant the sapling before the dirt block is placed. Try adding a repeater on the line to the planting dispenser so there is a small delay.
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

Urian's right - the sapling dispenser needs to be delayed at least one tick so that the dirt block exists when it tries to place it.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
Beerkeg

Post by Beerkeg »

aww man.. you were right /sigh

dang it i really need to start understanding redstone instead of just copying others contraptions.. thanks
Fracture

Post by Fracture »

Don't sweat it, Beerkeg, redstone can be tough to learn when you first start. Imitating other contraptions, and then watching more closely to see how they work is actually a great way to learn. I learned a lot of my redstone when trying to imitate the Minecart station design someone had on youtube ages ago, and then a lot more in trying to follow along with Batto's various contraptions.
Abracadabra, you're an idiot.
grimper12341

Post by grimper12341 »

I'll upload my world within the hour ish, just gotta go out for a minute first. It's got a full automatic tree farm with that same lifting mechanism you have, and the wiring isn't covered. Also most of the logic gates used are piston ones which I find much easier to understand than pure redstone ones, and they are all labeled with signs.
Beerkeg

Post by Beerkeg »

i really like battosay's creations now with the video of his ASS it was kinda easy to follow and understand because he was showing how to build from scratch.. so the understanding of concepts was a bit easier, but most of videos are show ups of finished contraptions and with the way redstone works, you always have some pesky stone blocks blocking the view of at least a part of the wiring.. so when i replicate the visible parts im fine but all the hideden ones are just messing it all up.. :P

Edit, its like my elevator, at top it has a flip flop, it pisses me off that it works but i don>t know why i put that there , i just coppied some youtube tutorial,
like i know how to build circuitry but i just can't understand why and when i need a flip flop a not gate and so on.. and that part just pisses me off of myself.
It pisses me off for the fact that i had in the past messed up with electronics around an Arduino, and now all that past things are just all forgotten or something
Urian

Post by Urian »

Learning by copying and then reverse engineering or simply observing what changes if you manipulate one part of it is a good way to learn how it works. I can also recommend checking out Rolf-David's redstone tutorials (http://www.youtube.com/user/sirdavva), they're often quite well explained.
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
grimper12341

Post by grimper12341 »

Map will be up in 15mins ish just tweaking some signs.
grimper12341

Post by grimper12341 »

<.< took longer than I thought. Uploading now, will be done in a few mins :P
rosstafan

Post by rosstafan »

Also if you want to use s button invert the lower bd
This will makesure that the dirt stays out
The list I could make of all the things this mod is better than.
Beerkeg

Post by Beerkeg »

hmm i don't think i want the block dispenser to keep the dirt block there, i think i wan't it to remove it once it receives the signal from the detector block wich ill place up the 4 saws to detect when the tress as fully grown.

so that way i think the wood chunks will be able to go in to the water chennel that is under the dirt block.
grimper12341

Post by grimper12341 »

(link removed, see new version on page 2)

There :D

Couple of notes:

I included a Guide.txt in the zip, the numbers in there correspond to the numbers on the signs ingame, and has more detailed information about each component. Steps 1-7 are down and to the left of where you log in, and steps 8-12 are directly behind you.
Also, if you wanna take apart the lift mechanism, stop the water first. Every block above you is holding back water, so if you break one you will flood all the wiring and break it.

There's also a semi automatic wheat/hemp farm above you, and a cool mob grinder in my underwater mob farm, which you get to by taking the minecart railway which starts near my wood house.

Also there's a bunch of semi automatic production facilities under my house, and an airlock style door protecting the back way in.

EDIT: Also it's not quite finished. Havn't finished the bit where saplings are collected from the water and put back in the dispenser, so if you wanna use the design, you will need to restock the sapling dispenser every so often.
Last edited by grimper12341 on Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Beerkeg

Post by Beerkeg »

thank you guys i have now a working tree farm, with four saws replanting and all... now if the freaking tree would stop growing 6 high and freaking 4 wide trunks..
Spoiler
Show
check that, is there a way to have line one streamline 4 high tree that wouldnot expend horizontally?

Thanks for all the help i love you guys . ( in the most homo way possible of course).. lol
grimper12341

Post by grimper12341 »

Use pine trees, they don't grow branches. You can find pines in the snowy areas.
BigShinyToys

Post by BigShinyToys »

Beerkeg wrote:thank you guys i have now a working tree farm, with four saws replanting and all... now if the freaking tree would stop growing 6 high and freaking 4 wide trunks..
Spoiler
Show
check that, is there a way to have line one streamline 4 high tree that wouldnot expend horizontally?

Thanks for all the help i love you guys . ( in the most homo way possible of course).. lol
Spoiler
Show
I gimped youre picture to make it lighter so we can see youre setup better.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Beerkeg wrote: check that, is there a way to have line one streamline 4 high tree that wouldnot expend horizontally?
Place a block 7 blocks above the sappling (including the sappling) and you'll never have trees like that anymore ;) But the growth speed will be lower.

And don't use pine trees in a tree farm using Saws, they won't grow ;)
Beerkeg

Post by Beerkeg »

Battosay wrote:
Beerkeg wrote: check that, is there a way to have line one streamline 4 high tree that wouldnot expend horizontally?
Place a block 7 blocks above the sappling (including the sappling) and you'll never have trees like that anymore ;) But the growth speed will be lower.

And don't use pine trees in a tree farm using Saws, they won't grow ;)
hail to the master :) yes your trick is working the trees are not going crazy anymore. TY

Now it is working, its so much inneficient.. lol about one third of the tress are landing on block dispensers and or on the detector block, looks like it was a whole lot of work for some disapointing (really disapointing) results :P
Spoiler
Show
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Well, you should have expected something like that ;)
When you place a plank in front of the saw, didn't you notice how far the panels sometimes fly away ?
Some possible solutions :
Place water right under the saw, because items call fall under (or stay stuck in front of the saw if it's a block under)
To use the Detector block as the "stop block" 7 blocks above (too much block in one sentence :o)
To place water above your Dispensers, to gather the planks falling on top of them
To place glass/some other block all arround the tree, to prevent the planks from flying too far, but it's gonna make your system even slower
Beerkeg

Post by Beerkeg »

Battosay wrote:Well, you should have expected something like that ;)
When you place a plank in front of the saw, didn't you notice how far the panels sometimes fly away ?
Some possible solutions :
Place water right under the saw, because items call fall under (or stay stuck in front of the saw if it's a block under)
To use the Detector block as the "stop block" 7 blocks above (too much block in one sentence :o)
To place water above your Dispensers, to gather the planks falling on top of them
To place glass/some other block all arround the tree, to prevent the planks from flying too far, but it's gonna make your system even slower
hmm even slower? oh well i guess ime better to leave it that way untill you do a start from scratch video like you did for your ASS :P
grimper12341

Post by grimper12341 »

Or maybe take a look at the world I uploaded for you >.>
Beerkeg

Post by Beerkeg »

YES YES WHERE?? :P

edit: oh crap i missed your post.. sorry man
Beerkeg

Post by Beerkeg »

allright so after opening your world i must say im impressed... this is just insanely complex its working great but i don't think ime quite ready for something THIS automated with the transport system and all. i must say this is impressive but at same time i feel its a whole truckload of work to grow one tree. i mean using a 80x 80 space to gather just one tree seems a bit averkill for me :P also there is not a chance i would be able (at least as of now) to build something of this magnitude. :P
grimper12341

Post by grimper12341 »

<.< did you read the guide.txt? I explained each component in there. And there's only 13 ish components, just a matter of fiddling with them to see what does what and how it does it.
Beerkeg

Post by Beerkeg »

yes i did , like i said it is incredible, instead of using saws your pushing the blocks up , the timing clock is all impressive. all awesome and such, but its just way above what i can manage to understand about redstone, also since your not using saws in a 4-6 vertical configuration , something that i understand partially, it just too complex for me :P
i am not a redstone nerd :P lol

of course i understand your way is prolly better since youre never loosing any wood blocks on top of your devices