Random deleted chunks

If you're having problems with your installation of Better Than Wolves, or if you've woken up in the future and are beginning to doubt the nature of reality, here's the place to post about it.
LiquidAngel

Random deleted chunks

Post by LiquidAngel »

Updating to new the BTW server version has resulted in randomly deleted chunks in me and my friends MP world:
https://imgur.com/a/SCbyTOy

What is weird is that it has sometimes deleted the entire chunk randomly, sometimes only the BTW blocks.
When we rejoined the server we were also placed back at the original spawn, without any of our stuff.

This was with a clean jar install of BTW, both client and server.

Hope you can figure out how this might have happened.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Random deleted chunks

Post by FlowerChild »

Moved to tech support. As the saying goes, "correlation does not imply causation", and there's a lot of things that could have gone wrong here before we assume it's a bug in the update. With the information available, I wouldn't even know where to start looking.

Anyone else running into issues? Anyone with more experience than myself with running a server can provide some tips for tracking it down?

First question though: were all BTW blocks gone from everywhere? In that case, it sounds like a broken install on the server.
LiquidAngel

Post by LiquidAngel »

That is the thing, not all the blocks were missing, as my screenshots demonstrate. Particularly in the 5th image in the album I posted (the one inside), you can see only half of the building was impacted (it looked symmetrical before, but as you can see the BTW loose bricks and chest had disappeared, while the vanilla blocks were left untouched). https://imgur.com/qnoi6Ix
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

What you answered was not the question I asked.
LiquidAngel

Post by LiquidAngel »

No, not all the BTW blocks were gone from world. As you can see, some were left behind https://imgur.com/0RaslWJ (we hadn't touched anything before posting this report).
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

LiquidAngel wrote:No, not all the BTW blocks were gone from world. As you can see, some were left behind https://imgur.com/0RaslWJ (we hadn't touched anything before posting this report).
Any chance the server was accidentally and briefly run without the mod installed, during the clean install process?
LiquidAngel

Post by LiquidAngel »

While we did do a new clean install after realizing what was going on, the server was still up and running for a couple of minutes. And we initially spawned right on top of the building that had half the BTW blocks missing.

Furthermore after we had cleaned up our base, I went to our village, which is 5000 blocks away, and it had the doors and chests in our villager-hotel also missing (while the nothing else had gone, even our brick oven was still there!)
Last edited by LiquidAngel on Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VegasGoat

Post by VegasGoat »

This sounds to me like you may have a failing hard disk. Is the server rented or a system one of you owns? Try running chkdsk if it's Windows or fsck if it's Linux.
LiquidAngel

Post by LiquidAngel »

We rent a server.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

LiquidAngel wrote:While we did do a new clean install after realizing what was going on, the server was still up and running for a couple of minutes. And we initially spawned right on top of the building that had half the BTW blocks missing.
Wait... what? Please explain step by step exactly what happened. You just posted a bug report and have had me on call as your personal tech support representative, and chose to leave out a personal fuck-up like that?
LiquidAngel

Post by LiquidAngel »

We installed the mod from a clean jar, both server jar and client jar. When we join the server, I get on first, spawn on the roof of our main building located right at spawn. I should've been at our village I had just found.

Then as I look around in confusion, a creeper runs towards me, and blows me down from the roof. It was the middle of the day, so I was wondering. Then I looked into the building, seeing half of the BTW blocks missing.

I try to go into creative mode, but I was not OP anymore, neither was my friend.

That's when we panic, and reinstall BTW on the server jar once more. We log in and still see the damage has been done, manage to make ourselves OP.

We also notice all our animals missing.

I did have the thought you're having, that we somehow messed up our install. However I raised alarm once I had made my way back to the village and seen that the same pattern was there aswell, in chunks that had never been loaded!

IE even from our first install, some BTW stuff were still there, some were missing (of the same type of block aswell, IE loose bricks). Aditionally, some chunks had all blocks reset, like the chunks had been corrupted.

I should add we had no crashes or the like, just installed the update.

So some chunks had everything deleted, looking like chunk corruption. Some chunks had only the BTW blocks missing looking like a botched mod install. Some chunks had only some of the BTW stuff missing, some still there (I don't even know what to say). And the rest were fine like nothing had ever happened. - Keep in mind that all these chunks are scattered around and seemingly not based on distance from where we spawned in.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sorry man, someone else is going to have to help you or confirm similar problems before I look at this any further.

I take this kind of thing very seriously, but your explanations are way too self-contradictory for me to entertain this further, or to not suspect that user error is the most likely cause.

If you have a backup of your world from before all this, and can recreate the problem occurring, that might help a great deal.
Mesh

Post by Mesh »

When updating a server you must shut down the server BEFORE you start messing around with the jar. If you don't do this you can get chunk errors and resetting (It happened to my server once when I neglected to shut it down before updating. I had to restore from a back up). I'm not saying this is definitely what happened here, I just wanted to mention that chunk errors and resets can easily be caused by incorrect update procedure
LiquidAngel

Post by LiquidAngel »

Sorry I get that it sounds like nonsense, my friend and I were both had no words aswell.

The server was shut down when we updated it.
Wibbles

Post by Wibbles »

Are you able to replicate this with, say, a backup of your world? Maybe even stick a SSP world in there and see if it does the same thing?

Does starting a new world end up causing the same problem?

Have you tried installing BTW in a completely fresh 1.5.2 jar instead of (for example) overwriting the existing btw install, and then repeating the above?

And if you haven't taken a backup of your world, I have to say, hindsight is a wonderful thing. And a harsh lesson to learn.