Embargo Lifted! (Open Early Game Discussion)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Embargo Lifted! (Open Early Game Discussion)

Post by FlowerChild »

PatriotBob wrote:I feel like I need like a montage for all the great times I had with that stone pick.
That both made me lol and brought this to mind:
Spoiler
Show
NotEvenOdd

Post by NotEvenOdd »

I found a village in the desert! The houses had no windows but did have furnishings. There were crops too (wheat). The villagers were all zombies however, not sure why, and I had to finish them. I hope I made the right decision.
Thordan Ssoa

Post by Thordan Ssoa »

NotEvenOdd, what you found was a semi-abandoned village. So killing the villagers didn't really hurt you too much, but their state was the result of a fairly old change at this point. Enjoy your wheat, and keep in mind for the next village that soul urns now work as a splash potion of cure zombie villager.
FlowerChild wrote:Never have I seen folks have this much fun with sheep without wearing a kilt.
FlowerChild wrote:you haven't seen a fight scene until you've seen one with horse schlongs swinging free
RobinHood3

Post by RobinHood3 »

I'm gonna edit what used to be here away because I realized I was being dumb.

TIL bones exist and will help me conserve string early game by not using my axes for hunting, thanks to an old conversation on Discord!

Generic appreciation comment for how awesome this mod is and how it always reels me back in
Nelgoth

Post by Nelgoth »

Are fires from clay ovens supposed to spread to wood, then to wicker baskets, and then vaporize 2 iron ingots along with the feeble tatters of sanity that I had left? Wicker was already feeling painful to get (at least in my current world) and utilize, now that it functions as a potential atom smasher, I will probably be shying away from using it (Consciously/Unconsciously).
gaga654

Post by gaga654 »

Brick ovens can start a fire, but only in a small range - I think as long as there isn't a flammable block within one or two blocks of them, you'll be safe.

If there is and it catches on fire though, then the fire will happily spread to the rest of your base, of course.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Nelgoth wrote:Wicker was already feeling painful to get (at least in my current world) and utilize, now that it functions as a potential atom smasher, I will probably be shying away from using it (Consciously/Unconsciously).
Don't despair! Chests are flammable too!
Nelgoth

Post by Nelgoth »

Ha ha, I am long past the point of despair. I don't know if I have ever had a storage fire problem.

Also, I shortly thereafter got killed by a bovine launched kamikaze creeper, that hit the side of my base...

I'm going to the bar, not sure if the bar tender will really be able to relate to my woes, but it's worth a shot.

Still the most fun I have had in a long while :) :| :\ :( :'( :D
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Nelgoth wrote: Also, I shortly thereafter got killed by a bovine launched kamikaze creeper, that hit the side of my base...
And there we have the ever elusive hoofsies and boomsies ftw!
PatriotBob

Post by PatriotBob »

This new early game is destroying me. So far I've died a ridiculous number if times, which is new as I'm usually pretty good at playing safe. But I'm having a hard time figuring it if I'm approaching something poorly or just being careless. I've gotten to a the point between chisel and first tool 5 times now and died losing all progress. I've HCS enough that I'm just starting to cycle through old spawns at this point. On one hand, some have ovens or rarely a bench, but I've already picked the accessible livestock, iron and to some extent coal at a good number of them.

Should I just start a new work and call this one a nasty learning curve? Is there any tips you guys have to get from iron chisel to hoe/pick/axe? I'm having a hard time getting past that.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

I've just collected enough iron to craft my first chisel ever since the rework, and now I gotta go change my pants. Thanks, FC.
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
Egger3rd

Post by Egger3rd »

I'm really digging the burn changes. Makes jungles way more fun and aesthetically pleasing to destroy.
Really Big Screenshot:
Spoiler
Show
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Why do we revel in the destruction of our own environment? Maybe we really are the bad guys....

But yeah, that is beautiful.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

I still didn't die in my world. I don't know how.

After making a chisel I dug myself a little cave that I made my home.

I find myself strip mining for iron a lot at the top of second strata, digging three high and covering the whole ground with gravel slabs to save on coal and keep it safe. Is that just me?

At this point I don't see how I can ever find a diamond, because caving actually terrifies me. Remembering all my old playthroughs, most of the time, unless I was really lucky, finding diamonds required hours of caving, and that feels impossible with torches burning out. I'm seriously considering making a long trip to find a non-looted desert temple. Having permanent torches seem like the best way to progress right now.
HighMongrel

Post by HighMongrel »

With you there Jorge on the diamonds taking hours usually. Only reason I managed to get diamonds on my current world is by finding a double ravine straight down to 3rd strata. Even still I probably went through a full stack of torches finding the 3 I needed.
Kazuya Mishima

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

So i'm building a rail network around my old base to ferry around mass tradegoods that will then be shuttled into the nether and toward a trading village i've found well over 2000 blocks away and I suddenly realize that i can't build minecart chests anymore. Sure enough I totally missed this entry
-Changed chest minecarts to not be quite so chesty.
from 4.AAAAAAABBB.

Are minecart chests out now or is the only way to get them to find a mineshaft and salvage an abandoned one making sure you don't break it?
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

My claustrophobic little home
Spoiler
Show
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Kazuya Mishima wrote: Are minecart chests out now or is the only way to get them to find a mineshaft and salvage an abandoned one making sure you don't break it?
Yikes, my bad. Turns out I didn't change the recipe to use the new flammable chests I added a few releases back. Surprised no one noticed that.

Will fix that up for next release. Are you in dire need? I can probably put out a 'c' release pretty easily.

EDIT: And done ;)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

jorgebonafe wrote: At this point I don't see how I can ever find a diamond, because caving actually terrifies me. Remembering all my old playthroughs, most of the time, unless I was really lucky, finding diamonds required hours of caving, and that feels impossible with torches burning out. I'm seriously considering making a long trip to find a non-looted desert temple. Having permanent torches seem like the best way to progress right now.
Caving seriously scares me now too. I think my first time going for redstone while developing AAAAAHHHH, I procrastinated for like a RL day before heading down to bottom strata :)

As for the coal though, I find you find more than enough as you cave to sustain your lighting, and I tend to accumulate more torches than I use as I descend. I wouldn't worry about that aspect too much, regardless of how nerve-wracking it is to know you're on a timer before it all goes dark.
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

I always keep a signal torch on my bar that I light at the start of a run, and use it to light all other torches. Since it is the first torch I light, I know that when it runs out then the lights start going out, so I make sure I'm out of the cave before that happens. Never had an issue (almost). The only time I didn't make it out in time was when I almost died at the end of a run and had to regen, letting the signal torch run out. Thankfully I had enough coal for 3 new torches to leap frog out of the cave, which was very stressful but fun.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
Kazuya Mishima

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

FlowerChild wrote: EDIT: And done ;)
Hey thanks, i'm tremendously relieved to find they aren't removed. IT's no rush, i was just going to do some track testing but the system is still not connected to the nether and i need a bit more iron and gold anyway. Thanks again for the quick and amazing work you do.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

I've finally embarked on my journey in search of a desert temple. On one of my many days walking I came across this on an early morning:
Spoiler
Show
I just had to capture this image and share it, as in its simplicity it tells such a sad tale...
Dreambolt

Post by Dreambolt »

PAIN? Well we definitely got that is spades now. I recently came back to BTW, and now the learning curve is a nice steep cliff it took me over 12 times to start climbing. Honestly it's too hard for my liking, but I'm invested in BTW already so I got that BURNING desire to keep going.

OVENS! Those are a must. One of the first things I do now.

Over extending, some times only just half a hill, is PUNISHED. Even more then I remember.

Gotta say the more I play, the more I appreciate the balance. It's genuinely brutal, almost to the point of me just putting it down, but not quite.
Xaedblade

Post by Xaedblade »

I have to say with the recent change to spiders only dropping one string I have to say that many times I kill spiders and get nothing. In a recent video you can watch that I killed several spiders and did not get a single string even though they did not spit their web at me.

My understanding is that they are meant to drop 1 string if they did not already shoot it... but it looks more like a rare drop. So I have begun to do a gamey 'let's get the spider to shoot the web before I kill it' game play...

https://youtu.be/4cnGFao0yzI?t=6m20s
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Xaedblade wrote: My understanding is that they are meant to drop 1 string if they did not already shoot it...
Your understanding is wrong. They average 1 string drop (if they have any left), but it's not consistent. I think of it as you're hacking up this creature first killing it, then trying to salvage web stored in some organ, resulting in the variability based on how much string you ruin in the process.

Letting them shoot the web is indeed a more reliable way of extracting string from the spider, but also more time consuming. Both methods will result in the same amount of string accumulated over time. It's all a matter of whether you can afford the extra time or the extra risk, meaning the optimal approach will tend to vary based on circumstances.
Xaedblade wrote:So I have begun to do a gamey 'let's get the spider to shoot the web before I kill it' game play...
I have a pretty low tolerance for gaminess, but I don't believe this qualifies. It's an intentional mechanic that engages the player in tactical decision making.