No audio but mod is working

If you're having problems with your installation of Better Than Wolves, or if you've woken up in the future and are beginning to doubt the nature of reality, here's the place to post about it.
Vongard

No audio but mod is working

Post by Vongard »

I used the installation guide and successfully installed the mod. My single issue is that my client has no audio. the menu, footsteps, all of it doesn't work.

I have tried:
deleting the resources folder and relaunching the game to let it reinstall the audio files.
using the f3+t trick suggested online which appears to work for most people (but not me)
creating a new 1.5.2 jar unmodded. (this also doesn't have sound.)
if i create a jar for a newer version of minecraft the audio works fine.

I cannot find any solutions online for this issue, is anyone able to help me i would appreciate it.

EDIT: ALL audio does not work. including better than wolves sounds like waterwheels, gearboxes, and the saw.
Taleric

Re: No audio but mod is working

Post by Taleric »

Any issues I have had were due to copy errors when building the jar.

I am cheap so I build the jar without a zip program so I have to take it a folder at a time or the copy will miss things.

Also if you have ever had other recent mods I would say kill your whole MC folders. All of it everywhere and start from scratch. You would be amazed at the stuff other mods put around to make stuff work.
gaga654

Post by gaga654 »

One thing I noticed when freshly installing Minecraft and BTW a couple weeks ago was that for the first 5 or 10 minutes or so, there was no audio and then it just started working on its own (maybe after I exited and reopened the game once or twice). If you haven't already, maybe try leaving the game open for a bit and see if it fixes itself?
Niyu

Post by Niyu »

The game downloads the audio after starting. It's not downloaded with the initial download in the jar. Sometimes it takes a bit of time for the sounds to start working. Also, BTW re-uses vanilla sounds for it's sounds, changing speed, pitch and volume.
VegasGoat

Post by VegasGoat »

You can try updating to the latest Java version.
Taleric wrote:... I would say kill your whole MC folders. All of it everywhere and start from scratch ...
One trick for this is to create a batch file (RunBTW.bat) with the following contents to run the old launcher executable with a different "home" (APPDATA) directory.

Code: Select all

SET APPDATA=C:\Where\You\Want\BTW
Minecraft.exe
You could also just add a subdirectory to the default value like this:

Code: Select all

SET APPDATA=%APPDATA%\BTW
Minecraft.exe
Bio_Logisch

Post by Bio_Logisch »

I had the same problem on windows 10 after windows updates this week, I fixed it by uninstatlling my sounddrivers.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

This might fix it. Thanks to Sfeclicel on Discord:

"the problem seems to be with the missing files from resorces they are placed in .minecraft\assets\virtual\legacy
it seems that this is a work around so the new launcher works with the older versions but it is done poorly or there is a bug and the music files will not be read from there, the logs say that they are missing from .minecraft\resources
so a work around seems to be that you have to move everything from .minecraft\assets\virtual\legacy\sounds into .minecraft\resources\sound3
but i'm not sure that this is the same for everyone you should look in the console to see from where the launcher is trying to read the music files from and place them there"
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Whuppee

Post by Whuppee »

Looking at the launcher output log, I'm seeing a bunch of server 403s for Amazon AWS sound and music files.
Gilberreke wrote: move everything from .minecraft\assets\virtual\legacy\sounds into .minecraft\resources\sound3
I had no sound at all; this fixed that problem. Thank you!

For music, copy .minecraft\assets\virtual\legacy\music into .minecraft\resources\music
Untested, but presumably .minecraft\assets\virtual\legacy\records into .minecraft\resources\records
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Whuppee wrote:Looking at the launcher output log, I'm seeing a bunch of server 403s for Amazon AWS sound and music files.
I had no sound at all; this fixed that problem. Thank you!

For music, copy .minecraft\assets\virtual\legacy\music into .minecraft\resources\music
Untested, but presumably .minecraft\assets\virtual\legacy\records into .minecraft\resources\records
Thanks for the extra confirm, we'll probably need an extra thread for this. I wonder if that means that the new files are just in a different location on the web? We should try to figure that out, so we can fix it the same way as skins.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
DinoDikslam

Post by DinoDikslam »

ive done everything but no music is playing and im still getting the 403 error codes for audio files
devak

Post by devak »

Had same issue. Copied the data from the Legacy to the Resources map as described and it worked
August West

Post by August West »

I was having this issue as well. I tried the above solution but didn't have any luck. I found this video and resource pack download on youtube. Fixed the issue right up for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfjliRKtgas
Kazuya Mishima

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

This should probably be stickied or the information provided about moving files from the resources directories around maintained. I just had to do a reinstall and was forced to abandon the legacy viewer and this thread saved my life.

Thanks