Stumped by Stumps

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
SterlingRed

Stumped by Stumps

Post by SterlingRed »

Hey guys, I'm looking for ideas on how to work with hc stumps on large scales. Do you guys really remove every stump? Does everyone have vast fields of stumps surrounding your bases? Anyone tried to grow new farms on top of dead stumps? I tried that in a different world and didn't like the dirt oreo sandwich look.
I'm just looking for ideas before it gets out of hand.
Spoiler
Show
Psion

Re: Stumped by Stumps

Post by Psion »

fire works if the stumps are crowded together. and while you said you dont like the dirt oreo look, why not plant them in "low" areas of the ground where you want to fill it in at least 2 high anyways? if you have such terraforming in mind you can plant them in the lowlands, cover em over, and repeat until its the height you want and find a different spot.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Does stump remover feel too costly for this? I know once I have a mob trap going I usually have enough creeper oysters and rotten flesh to clear just about any forest I care to.
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

It is funny, I love the appearance of my apocalyptic fields to fuel my industry.

The creative types that find them an eye sore would probably find any type of destructive forces anathema and look for building solutions.

Incredibly difficult to encourage organic remover use. When I was young my dad used a tortion tool referred to as a "come-along" to ratchet timber from it's location.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

FlowerChild wrote:Does stump remover feel too costly for this? I know once I have a mob trap going I usually have enough creeper oysters and rotten flesh to clear just about any forest I care to.
For me I've never built a mushroom farm. I feel the spawning rules are so strange and arcane that I just avoid them.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote: For me I've never built a mushroom farm. I feel the spawning rules are so strange and arcane that I just avoid them.
Red mushrooms (the ones used for stump remover) are actually super easy to farm. I generally just line the corridors of some of my more frequently used tunnels with mushrooms, and collect the new growth as I walk through.

The ease with which they're farmed in vanilla is actually why I wrote much more strict rules for brown mushroom growth.
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

I still find it annoying to farm mushrooms on a large scale. While they may be somewhat easy to farm in that way, I still have never liked the vanilla method, it has always felt awkward. And while I appreciate the changes to brown mushrooms to add restrictions, they still are based in the weird mechanics of vanilla. I don't know that that's necessarily worth the time to do anything about, but just my observations.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

FlowerChild wrote:Does stump remover feel too costly for this? I know once I have a mob trap going I usually have enough creeper oysters and rotten flesh to clear just about any forest I care to.
I don't know that that's the problem. I've just reached mechanical power and have not yet built a mob trap so my oyster supply is limited. At this stage I feel like it's more important to save oysters for diamond armor and I tend to conserve my iron shears as well rather than chase down creepers.
I can also lure a creeper into my stumps and blow up 5-6 at once without using a single remover.

One other thing I noticed about stump remover is when I used it the first time I was surprised the process was instantaneous.

Part of it is I want to use the stumps in an aesthetic way, I just haven't figured out how yet.
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

I didn't bother with red mushrooms really until I got mycelium, just never found farming for them appealing. But until then stumps everywhere for me.

Once you can get mycelium, and you have a mob trap, you can clear them all out.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Creepers are the best way to terraform, honestly. They can even be used to tunnel through lower strata of rock before you have a proper tool
Better is the enemy of Good
ion

Post by ion »

i just spam a square worth of saplings and when most of them are chopped i just burn all the stumps down. not worth using stump remover ( not the cost, just 16 stack size is too low for a tool use). I do use stump remover on forest stumps for aesthetics.
LannyRipple

Post by LannyRipple »

I vote not too expensive. If there's an early stump or two that gets in the way you can take the time to axe em out. Otherwise it's just motivation to work on the mob farm.