The Feature Request / Suggestion Thread - LIMITED TIME ONLY

The place to talk about how BTW might be different
the_fodder

Re: The Feature Request / Suggestion Thread - LIMITED TIME O

Post by the_fodder »

Review what items can be broken down by the saw. I love using tables and benches as staircases, but always end up with extra of on and not enough of the other. doors, pedestal and columns are also destined for chests when you redesign.

I’m going to hate myself for this ,but don’t forget about sandstone fences when you thinking about early game cobblestone fence. A shovel and a beach will do wonders for base protection.

Edit: thanks for laughing off the the more ‘out of scope’ items and keeping this thread open.
It's FC mod, he just lets us play it.
Gunnerman21

Post by Gunnerman21 »

I guess it's my turn...

Reading through this thread I've seen some comments about better usage of milk and some other milk products, so I suggest a churn block. It would create cheese using mechanical effort for the storage of milk (stacks of 16 cheese rather than stacks of 1 milk buckets). It would solve the problem of people using lots of buckets to mass produce scrambled eggs one at a time by instead having a quick bucket of milk input and a cheese output. Theoretically cheese could also have a better food value than milk because of the effort to make it.

Usage of this block could be right clicking a bucket of milk directly on the block to pour in the milk, as to keep the bucket in your hand for faster milking.

This block would do well near a pen of cows, because the distance to walk between each milking.

This block might not do well near cows because the sound of the churning could spook them. That might create a balance between speed and safety.
Spoiler
Show
I am... THE TAXI MAN.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

FlowerChild wrote:Ok, I need some kind of system to respond to all of these :)
Trello baord? j/k
FlowerChild wrote:
Sarudak wrote:Also the one thing I've wanted for a very long time is some mechanism for small co-op servers to all stay together even in the early game. Something as simple as a server setting where when any person dies everyone else on the server dies (immediately or after a period of time) and is teleported to them resetting the day would work. That was I can play with beginners and actually play WITH them without having to do a bunch of cheaty admin stuff.
How about this: an option that if a player dies, for 24 hours other player that die will go to the same respawn location. Rather than a timer, this will require players to kill themselves to make use of the feature, which sets my tentacles all a flutter.

I hate options, I don't really support MP, and I hope this won't start a bunch of requests for either of those things, but I hear you.
That would be awesome.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

William the tuba wrote:Not sure if I explained what I wanted very well:
Nope, I understood what you meant. I find with the original one texture, the wood on the ends of logs looks a bit weathered. With the newer varied textures, it looks like it was freshly surgically amputated. It really does look weird to me.

It would be easy enough for me to add this but use the same texture for all cases by default, to open it up for texture artists, but for me personally, I find the single texture looks better.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote:Oooo... Make all crops only able to grow in sunlight or under light blocks. I just realized this is not the case even though I always do all my farming on the surface, because it seems silly to me otherwise, but open air farms (or having to build greenhouses for protection just makes so much more sense.
Yup, that's the direction that I've been going in for awhile man, with features like HC Grass and such. That's probably not too obvious given that's inadvertently stretched over years though.

This is a very mild example that doesn't really apply, which makes it a good one for me to talk about this, but one of the reasons I've always hated suggestions is that the good ones are often spoilers for upcoming features, because if I'm implementing systems over a series of releases they all begin logically pointing in a particular direction. Bonus face-palm points if after it comes out someone says I implemented their idea.

There's a couple of other examples in this thread of stuff that I'm already doing that I intentionally ignored as I wish to confirm nor deny anything :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Just a reminder to anyone that might not have been around, or might not remember my policies on suggestions in the past:

I really don't give a shit about giving useless features a purpose. I find trying to jam utility on them just leads to bad design. If I come up with an idea I want in the mod, I may then look for an existing item that fits that role (Hardcore poking with shafts being a recent example), but I try to avoid doing things the other way around.

So please don't bother suggesting roles for "useless" items, just for the sake of giving them purpose. In most cases if I didn't want to be heavy handed with people that might be using this stuff for whatever aesthetic role, I'd probably just disable useless features entirely.

In summary: furnace carts can stuff themselves up their own pie hole.
the_fodder wrote:Review what items can be broken down by the saw. I love using tables and benches as staircases, but always end up with extra of on and not enough of the other. doors, pedestal and columns are also destined for chests when you redesign.
Good point. If you've got the motivation, would you mind starting a thread here in feedback with items that might have weird or missing interactions like that? May as well generalize it to the BD, or any other processing blocks as well.

These things have to be addressed on a case by case basis, so doing a full pass of every block and item in the game is not really feasible for me. Would be much easier if people pointed them out individually as they come accross them.

I'll try to take care of the ones you explicitly listed before next release.
Gunnerman21 wrote:Reading through this thread I've seen some comments about better usage of milk and some other milk products, so I suggest a churn block.
Yeah, I've considered similar blocks in the past. There are a few low hanging ones like a churn, or a loom, which thematically fit the mod, but which I've never seen enough utility or varied automation mechanics to justify. I'm not too keen on diluting the mech power system with too many secondary blocks, extended block IDs or no.
Sarudak wrote:That would be awesome.
K, I'll put it on my todo. May not be immediate as I've got a few wolves in the fire right now, but I'll get to it.

I like this variant as it retains the utility of soulsand for tracking down dead people as a level-up once you gain access to it. I'd probably make it default if not for it being totally inappropriate for all but the most sadistic PvP servers:

"Even in death you will not escape me!".... and so on...
MrLemon

Post by MrLemon »

What about making the leg of a table take on the texture of a fence placed directly below it, so it would look like the fence extended up into the table even if the table and fence were different materials. Would address a little bit of the 'sub blocks inside sub blocks' stuff while still keeping things more Lego than clay, and would not even add any new block IDs. Might mess up existing builds a little bit though? Or maybe it would be weird and inconsistent to have connections between different types of blocks like that.
andreinawolf

Post by andreinawolf »

I love the in-game books. I've used them as journals/notes/recipes and I'll usually create cute libraries for them. Especially fun when you create a big library for the infernal enchanter.

However since I'm storing the books in chests it adds this awkward process of opening the chest, finding the book I want, putting it into my inventory's bar, closing the chest, reading the book, then doing the same in reverse to get it back in the chest.

I'd love a block that has a similar look to the enchanting table but when you right click it you read the book stored inside. When the block is placed it wouldn't have a book and you'd insert the book into it like a jukebox. To get the book back you break the block.

In SMP the spawn point could have these around for new players to read about the server.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

andreinawolf wrote:I'd love a block that has a similar look to the enchanting table but when you right click it you read the book stored inside. When the block is placed it wouldn't have a book and you'd insert the book into it like a jukebox. To get the book back you break the block.
Is that idea coming from another mod or something? It's not really the kind of feature I'd normally implement, but it also really sounds like the kind of thing someone must have done at some point.
Mesh

Post by Mesh »

FlowerChild wrote:
It would be easy enough for me to add this but use the same texture for all cases by default, to open it up for texture artists, but for me personally, I find the single texture looks better.
Just wanted to hop in here and let you know we don't need this added to take advantage of different wood inside logs. We can do that already using block ID and metadata
andreinawolf

Post by andreinawolf »

FlowerChild wrote:Is that idea coming from another mod or something? It's not really the kind of feature I'd normally implement, but it also really sounds like the kind of thing someone must have done at some point.
Hmm it might exist as another mod. I never thought of looking. I've only played MC using BTW so I never really thought of looking for other mods. It's something I thought about when I ran a BTW server a while back and I think about it every so often when playing in my solo worlds.

That makes sense if it's not the kind of feature you'd implement. I'm getting swept up in the excitement of you working on BTW again so I'm posting without thinking :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

andreinawolf wrote: That makes sense if it's not the kind of feature you'd implement. I'm getting swept up in the excitement of you working on BTW again so I'm posting without thinking :)
I'll think about it for sure man. It's not really my thing, but it's also a very solid idea, which is why I was thinking "someone must have already done that" :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

FlowerChild wrote:
ko_teknik wrote: - fix boat bug where we die if an entity is under it
What is this one? Do you have any more details?
Ok, this vague reference was driving me a bit nuts as I thought you might be referring to something I may have broken with my recent boat changes, but I assume it's this thing you reported a long while back:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8361

If so, I just fixed it and tweaked up a bit of boat falling behavior in the process :)
ko_teknik

Post by ko_teknik »

FlowerChild wrote:
FlowerChild wrote:
ko_teknik wrote: - fix boat bug where we die if an entity is under it
What is this one? Do you have any more details?
Ok, this vague reference was driving me a bit nuts as I thought you might be referring to something I may have broken with my recent boat changes, but I assume it's this thing you reported a long while back:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8361

If so, I just fixed it and tweaked up a bit of boat falling behavior in the process :)
Oh yeah ! I was unable to find this old post !
Thx Lord
Psion

Post by Psion »

one thing i miss from terraria is a few of the shortcut keys, such as one for "drink health potion" "drink buff potion". maybe one for "eat food" as well. i'm not sure how you'd feel about them balance wise, but it would free up a bit of hotbar space for things like torches or a map, and might add more incentive for keeping potions with you if you're not constantly fiddling around with your hotbar.

shortcut key for "fire hatsie tentacle grappling hook" optional. (though highly entertaining.) =p
Veracity

Post by Veracity »

This is less of a suggestion for a new feature and more of a request to remove an existing one. Have you considered making Hardcore Buoy non-optional? I know you originally made it toggleable to preserve existing worlds that had been built to use the old water behavior - but that was almost five and a half years ago now and I'm pretty sure you've introduced at least a couple of world breaking changes since then. I'm not sure that it makes sense to continue maintaining the option to turn it off.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Psion wrote:one thing i miss from terraria is a few of the shortcut keys, such as one for "drink health potion" "drink buff potion". maybe one for "eat food" as well. i'm not sure how you'd feel about them balance wise, but it would free up a bit of hotbar space for things like torches or a map, and might add more incentive for keeping potions with you if you're not constantly fiddling around with your hotbar.
Yeah, I do consider managing inventory and hotbar space, thinking ahead to what you may need in the near future, and the inconvenience of using something you aren't prepared to, to be balance issues. Hence why I did stuff like requiring arrows to be in a hotbar to use a bow, or the recent change with holding a sail in a boat, or even why the mattock is at the very top of the progression to give you the awesome end game reward of saving one hotbar slot! :)

So no, not really keen on making that part easier. If I were to add more progression to inventory management I'd probably consider what's there now to be the upper end of it.
Veracity wrote:Have you considered making Hardcore Buoy non-optional?
Is there any reason to? Usually in the past I cut options so as not to paint myself into a design corner where I had to consider too many of them, or because I thought that turning something off unbalanced the game.

Given HC Buoy is something that really only benefits players, and I haven't felt any design limitations placed on myself for it, not sure what removing that option would accomplish. I had honestly forgotten it was even there.
MisterFister

Post by MisterFister »

I like ko_teknik's idea of a wheat block that acts as an animal-feed version of a cake block.

Generally, I have no idea what to do with multiple chests of surplus slimeballs, and cisterns seem to be a very iron-expensive-in-early-game decorative block.

I always scratch my head when I peer out into a thunderstorm and see fires spawned by lightning; since it's also raining, the lighting-causes-fire mechanic seems odd to me. Is there some possibility of thundersnow? Or other possible disaster than could flow from a lightning strike? As things stand, I have no idea why someone would want to make a lightning rod.

And sound-dampening? Yes, please.

Also, I'm kind of interested in learning more of the lore and backstory of BTW. I played on an SMP a while back that had a stash of "enchanted manuscripts," and it was explained to me that a use for them was promised for the future. At the same time, however, I like the non-linear and user-driven quest system that has emerged from all of these features that you've added. Maybe the best way to reveal lore would be to publish it in a series of stories or flashbacks outside of the game itself?
Last edited by MisterFister on Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I consume a lot of YouTube. Some of what I consume is actually pretty good.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

MisterFister wrote:I like the idea of a 3-wide portal, as I, too, have had those centering issues vex me in a build.
There's only so many way I can say no to that suggestion. It's a portal to hell. I'm sorry that it makes you feel uncomfortable :P
MisterFister wrote:Also, I'm kind of interested in learning more of the lore and backstory of BTW. I played on an SMP a while back that had a stash of "enchanted manuscripts," and it was explained to me that a use for them was promised for the future. At the same time, however, I like the non-linear and user-driven quest system that has emerged from all of these features that you've added. Maybe the best way to reveal lore would be to publish it in a series of stories or flashbacks outside of the game itself?
I consider the ambiguity of the story to be a part of what made vanilla MC so cool back in the Notch days. I wouldn't want to break that theme by being more explicit.

I have my concept of most of BTWs "story" mapped out in my own head, but that's safely where it will stay :)
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

FlowerChild wrote: Yup, that's the direction that I've been going in for awhile man, with features like HC Grass and such. That's probably not too obvious given that's inadvertently stretched over years though.

This is a very mild example that doesn't really apply, which makes it a good one for me to talk about this, but one of the reasons I've always hated suggestions is that the good ones are often spoilers for upcoming features, because if I'm implementing systems over a series of releases they all begin logically pointing in a particular direction. Bonus face-palm points if after it comes out someone says I implemented their idea.

There's a couple of other examples in this thread of stuff that I'm already doing that I intentionally ignored as I wish to confirm nor deny anything :)
Yeah man makes sense. I wouldn't claim credit for anything in your mod though. (Except hardcore grinding of course ;)
FlowerChild wrote:
MisterFister wrote:I like the idea of a 3-wide portal, as I, too, have had those centering issues vex me in a build.
There's only so many way I can say no to that suggestion. It's a portal to hell. I'm sorry that it makes you feel uncomfortable :P
Sir I believe you found the best way to say no to that suggestion. You should stick with that one :D
FlowerChild wrote:
I consider the ambiguity of the story to be a part of what made vanilla MC so cool back in the Notch days. I wouldn't want to break that theme by being more explicit.

I have my concept of most of BTWs "story" mapped out in my own head, but that's safely where it will stay :)
I also have many bits of MC/BTW story that I believe to be true. I wonder how much of it maps to yours...
FlowerChild wrote: So no, not really keen on making that part easier. If I were to add more progression to inventory management I'd probably consider what's there now to be the upper end of it.
Yes please. It hurts so good.
FlowerChild wrote: K, I'll put it on my todo. May not be immediate as I've got a few wolves in the fire right now, but I'll get to it.

I like this variant as it retains the utility of soulsand for tracking down dead people as a level-up once you gain access to it. I'd probably make it default if not for it being totally inappropriate for all but the most sadistic PvP servers:

"Even in death you will not escape me!".... and so on...
Wow. That's really awesome of you. Honestly it would probably be fine not as an option. I mean assuming you killed someone you're going to chase them down by killing yourself and joining them naked in the woods? It's not like you can carry your stuff with you. It might even make things more interesting, imagine two people die trying to kill each other. Now what? Keep just trying to bash each others faces in with nothing but your fists in the wilderness while night falls? Not much fun. Work together? But how can you trust him?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote:Wow. That's really awesome of you. Honestly it would probably be fine not as an option. I mean assuming you killed someone you're going to chase them down by killing yourself and joining them naked in the woods? It's not like you can carry your stuff with you. It might even make things more interesting, imagine two people die trying to kill each other. Now what? Keep just trying to bash each others faces in with nothing but your fists in the wilderness while night falls? Not much fun. Work together? But how can you trust him?
Hehe... yeah, I was thinking something similar, in that it represents some serious devotion / hatred, and honestly, with soul sand you could track someone down fully equipped anyways if you were really intent on it.

Might even make for interesting death fests in anarchy scenarios where one player dies and you have a bunch of others follow them there for some primitive brutality :)
Sarudak wrote:
FlowerChild wrote: There's only so many way I can say no to that suggestion. It's a portal to hell. I'm sorry that it makes you feel uncomfortable :P
Sir I believe you found the best way to say no to that suggestion. You should stick with that one :D
I agree. I could go on a five page rant about how design constraints inspire thematically appropriate forms of creativity, but the above seems to sum it all up far more succinctly than I've ever managed to before :)
casinodoug

Post by casinodoug »

better with renewables style spreadable lava because it is the only feature I miss from that addon.

Also nice to see you active again fc.

edit: important note we clearly need craft-able socks and diamond saws

real edit: it made it so that lava spread threw slowly converting hellfire blocks into lava
Last edited by casinodoug on Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<FlowerChild> if I wasn't serious, I would have just fucked you and left :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

casinodoug wrote:better with renewables style spreadable lava because it is the only feature I miss from that addon.
I don't know what that means man. I never played it, and quickly looking over that add-on's OP didn't tell me anything useful either.

You're asking me to do an awful lot of preparatory work just to receive your wisdom here :)
RezDev

Post by RezDev »

FC, first off, it's really cool to see you back in action again. The recent updates have woken up the community and it's cool to have this part if the internet back around again.

I've been mulling over this thread thinking about my 2 cents, and hopefully I've worked out all the stupid and can give some good feedback.

At any rate, thanks for opening this up for us.

First of all, this:
magikeh wrote:One thing that I have found difficult for many artisans that work alongside the mod creating texture packs and the such is the absolute horror that is getting MCPatcher to work alongside BTW. The install process is convoluted and twisted at best, but really that style should be saved for within the gameplay itself.
In essence, my final suggestion here is to reach out to Khar and speak about the potential for including his 1.5.2 HD texture fix and associated patches in the BTW mod itself.
This would be awesome if it were possible.

General Thoughts

*To echo some of the others: I hate The End. I've never been inspired to go there (and never have, only seen others) and in earlier incarnations was just satisfied ignoring it completely. Now that it's tied in more with progression it's necessary to go there, but the spawning mechanics, dragon, and general feeling of limited space still bother me. Don't know if there's a solution, just mentioning it.
Sarudak wrote:Oooo... Make all crops only able to grow in sunlight or under light blocks. I just realized this is not the case even though I always do all my farming on the surface, because it seems silly to me otherwise, but open air farms (or having to build greenhouses for protection just makes so much more sense.
*I like this, and to expand on it: biome farming variations. As in penalties/bonuses per biome to encourage more thought to base locations. Quick examples: frozen biomes require planter/lightblock greenhouses; water blocks in deserts have a smaller hydration radius, etc.
Not sure how difficult it is to mess with biomes, but it feels consistent within BTW.

*I've always wanted a BTW-style Craftguide-like system for keeping track of recipes in-game, as opposed to tabbing out to the wiki or wherever, but never really liked just creating an item that unlocks all of the recipes at once. Something that unlocks progressively somehow and helps incorporate other aspects of the mod (like filters and buoyancy) would be neat. There's just so much to remember in this game it can get a bit tricky. :)

*And a small world-immersion thing: have packed earth blocks generate in lower strata levels. While I use a texture pack that is already darker in tone, with the vanilla textures the standard dirt block is a bit brighter and sticks out more in the lower strata, which kind of diminishes the darkness/sense of claustrophobia down there. Again, don't know if messing with world gen is a simple thing or not, but thought I'd mention it.

I'll break the aesthetic block ideas into another post, for ease of reading. :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

casinodoug wrote: real edit: it made it so that lava spread threw slowly converting hellfire blocks into lava
Still don't really grok what you mean here man. What's the point of this feature? Did you actually mean hellfire blocks, or was that a mistake and you mean netherrack?