Best Early Use of Jungle Temple Loot

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
emptychild

Best Early Use of Jungle Temple Loot

Post by emptychild »

I recently was able to successfully raid a jungle temple and from that I netted 3 sticky pistons, 2 dispensers, a repeater, 4 tripwire hoods, 2 levers and 14 redstone dust. I'm still at the growing hemp and non-sustainable food stage. (Pumpkins where fore art thou?) Is there a worthwhile early game use of these items or would I be better off just sitting on them until later? The progression and a lot of tech has changed since I last put in any serious amount of time.
https://twitter.com/FlowerChildXL/statu ... 5676872704

This just in! RTH to contain a TARDIS!
Spoiler
Show
FlowerChild wrote:But, before someone asks: the box will be blue. I like blue. It's a nice soothing color.
Ethinolicbob

Re: Best Early Use of Jungle Temple Loot

Post by Ethinolicbob »

An auto feeder?
Although early game it would be chickens and with the changes autofeeders would be a bit more inefficient but still good
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

There's always the simple things, like piston doors or convience features in mob traps.

Tripwires don't detect items iirc, so if you want to automate chickens at all you'll need to use the rate that they grow up as a rough clock. It probably easier to do things manually until you have more resources tbh.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
TheGatesofLogic

Post by TheGatesofLogic »

I think technically chickens can eat seeds through a siding, and if I’m right then with a little ingenuity you can make an egg farmer that also functions as a 24 hour timer using a wooden pressure plate to detect eggs. That could be used to trigger a three pulse switch to turn on a chicken slaughterer after three days which should be enough growth time.
Two feet standing on a principle
Two hands longing for each others warmth
Cold smoke seeping out of colder throats
Darkness falling, leaves nowhere to go
MisterFister

Post by MisterFister »

I have a vague idea in my head f a safe wolf-feeder that (I think) would benefitted greatly from a sticky piston.
I consume a lot of YouTube. Some of what I consume is actually pretty good.
TheGatesofLogic

Post by TheGatesofLogic »

I generally use minecarts to keep my wolves manageable
Two feet standing on a principle
Two hands longing for each others warmth
Cold smoke seeping out of colder throats
Darkness falling, leaves nowhere to go
MisterFister

Post by MisterFister »

TheGatesofLogic wrote:I generally use minecarts to keep my wolves manageable
I am quite intrigued by this. Might I impose for some info or pics about this? Hell, a sample savefile (even if made in creative?)

As for the topic at hand, I'm willing to move this convo to a different thread and / or to PMs if it develops into any length.
I consume a lot of YouTube. Some of what I consume is actually pretty good.
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

I've used dispensers at this stage to auto feed chickens. 1 Dispenser to create a 5 minute item despawn timer (dirt piles and sawdust) and 1 to feed. It's lossless as long as you have 4 chickens. The egg rate isn't great with this as you'll often alternate between 3 and 4 eggs every morning but it's nice to not have to worry about it. I've done the same with wolves but I've been burnt too many times pre livestock farming trying to feed myself and wolves that I no longer bother with wolves until I have a consistent way of breeding pigs.
For the pistons I've set those up on a couple of reed plants once I have enough iron for a cauldron to use to collect them. Not a huge yield but its enough to seed a larger farm when you need one. I use the same 5 minute despawn timer to power the pistons.
Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

Have a windmill? Don't want it to destroy gearboxes?

I always put a switch at the bottom of my windmills, the switch toggles a piston that disconnects the topmost gearbox from the windmill.

Edit: I think you guys are misunderstanding, this is to prevent a windmill from destroying a gearbox during a storm
Last edited by Yhetti on Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Niyu

Post by Niyu »

Yhetti wrote:Have a windmill? Don't want it to destroy gearboxes?

I always put a switch at the bottom of my windmills, the switch toggles a piston that disconnects the topmost gearbox from the windmill.
Isn't it easier to send the signal to the gearbox directly?

I personally use the pistons for zombie proof doors.
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

I'm honestly surprised that doesn't break the gearbox given the other behavior in the mod related to that. And it certainly is easier to just send redstone to the gearbox using stacked torches.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

dawnraider wrote:And it certainly is easier to just send redstone to the gearbox using stacked torches.
I am using stacked torches. That's how the piston is powered.

I'm confused, so you're saying I should just power the gearbox to turn it off instead of pulling it out of place with a piston. How would this help the windmill from breaking during a storm? I'm pretty sure that just because a gearbox is powered off, doesn't mean it won't break when the windmill gets stormed on.
jackatthekilns

Post by jackatthekilns »

If the first gearbox powered by the windmill is receiving redstone power it will stop and will not break in a storm.
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

Yhetti wrote: just because a gearbox is powered off, doesn't mean it won't break when the windmill gets stormed on.
That's exactly how it works. Reasoning FC has stated a long time ago is that it disengages the internal gears, stopping mechanical power, but also letting the input axle turn freely.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

I use slabtowers to get the redstone up:

Torch stacks are so slooooow
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
SerraNova

Post by SerraNova »

I used one of the pistons (carefully!) to extend the sidewalls of a nether bridge over a lava sea, then it went into a door.