Mushroom farming questions, early game.

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Mason11987

Mushroom farming questions, early game.

Post by Mason11987 »

I'm starting up a new world and I'd like to get a nice mushroom farm up and going. But I'd also like to not die because of it. So a few questions, has anyone hammered out the ideal spacing between source mushrooms for a farm? Also, are the only options early game to do a lot of block breaking when you harvest, or have a lot of danger? Anyone with a picture of a working manual early game farm (without lamps) would be helpful. Thanks!
MisterFister

Re: Mushroom farming questions, early game.

Post by MisterFister »

I can answer that ideal spacing for a few versions has been every fifth square (each seed shroom followed by four dead squares.)

As for lighting and blocking, I personally have resigned to postponing large-scale harvests until procuring mycellium.

Note that red poison-shrooms grow very well with embedded ceiling torches three blocks above the seeds (minimal walking height.)
I consume a lot of YouTube. Some of what I consume is actually pretty good.
DiamondArms

Post by DiamondArms »

Super Easy Brown Mushroom Farms

Side note: spiders can rarely spawn in these. they can't get out, however. the worst you'll get is a poke and some webbing.
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

I have always just made blocked off sections of one block tall areas, and I would break blocks to get in, kind of similar to the design by DiamondArms, though far less elegant (I will be stealing those btw)
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

That design feels dirty...
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

I just make a blacked out two high room pre mycelium. I keep each level small enough so that when I unblock the entrance all the mobs agro on me and come to the door. Easy to take them out that way. A little risk but it makes harvesting very fast since I don't have to strip out any blocks or chase mushrooms that pop off into unreachable areas. I get the occasional music disc as well if I get a creeper and skeleton lined up in the right order.
Thordan Ssoa

Post by Thordan Ssoa »

This is the mushroom farm I built on the server I've been playing on. Not the fastest brown mushroom growth, but it gets the job done.
Spoiler
Show
FlowerChild wrote:Never have I seen folks have this much fun with sheep without wearing a kilt.
FlowerChild wrote:you haven't seen a fight scene until you've seen one with horse schlongs swinging free
Psion

Post by Psion »

i've always been a fan of the mushroom beacon method myself. simply build a "pyramid as if you were making a beacon, but remove the corner block from each level. do this below a water source block. place a seed mushroom on the single block at the top of the pyramid and leave it be. (total darkness for brown shrooms.) they spread downward and you can harvest the entire thing by releasing water on the top of the pyramid.

this is why you remove the corners from the pyramid as well, to ensure water flows down the entire thing and washes every shroom away. channel the water at the bottom into a hopper or whatever, replace the seed shroom, and let it go again!

One of the nice things about the design is it starts off slow at first, but each level of growth is faster and produces more shrooms than the last. it's also very expandable, assuming you dont mind gigantic pyramids.

I pick a spot on the ground below water where i want it and basically work on it while getting cobblestone for stone tools. might as well put that digging to good use!

This technique also works on red shrooms, but you don't have to worry about perfect darkness with those.
ko_teknik

Post by ko_teknik »

Mob cant spawn on bedrock ;) but mushroom grow on it !
ko_teknik

Post by ko_teknik »

If you get early nether portal i believe mushroom in nether dont nigth dark light To grow !
MisterFister

Post by MisterFister »

ko_teknik wrote:If you get early nether portal i believe mushroom in nether dont nigth dark light To grow !
Doesn't that necessitate spending a lot of time in the nether with nether chunks loaded?
I consume a lot of YouTube. Some of what I consume is actually pretty good.
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

As far as I know they do still need darkness to grow in the nether, just with how the lighting engine is different, 0 light is actually quite visible. I think it only darkens by half as much each level so 0 in the nether looks like 7 or 8 in the overworld. But yeah mushroom farms can take a long time to grow, and so I find it better to have them going in the background while I do other stuff, which works significantly better in the overworld.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!