Obsolete Install Method [EDITED]

If you're having problems with your installation of Better Than Wolves, or if you've woken up in the future and are beginning to doubt the nature of reality, here's the place to post about it.
ElectroBot

Re: Official Better Than Wolves Installation Thread

Post by ElectroBot »

Hopefully this quick video will help players install BTW in the New Launcher if they prefer that rather than a list of instructions - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FH7_07oRU4w
TheGuy

Post by TheGuy »

I found https://jsonformatter.curiousconcept.com/ really helpful for being able to read the formatting.
ElectroBot

Post by ElectroBot »

Updated installation video (for those that need/want it) for the newest launcher that was released around June 2019. Its almost the same as the old other than having a slightly different UI and not being able to get to your .minecraft folder from it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1LjX_0WoGY
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

People keep talking about a new official launcher Mojang released for older versions or something? I know little about it, since I don't use the vanilla launcher to play BTW. Anyone have info on it?
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
ElectroBot

Post by ElectroBot »

Gilberreke wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:21 pm People keep talking about a new official launcher Mojang released for older versions or something? I know little about it, since I don't use the vanilla launcher to play BTW. Anyone have info on it?
Newest launcher was released back in early July and is fairly similar to the "New" (that required editing the JSON). Mojang has a post on it (with some pics): https://www.minecraft.net/en-us/article ... er-is-live
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

ElectroBot wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:36 pm
Gilberreke wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:21 pm People keep talking about a new official launcher Mojang released for older versions or something? I know little about it, since I don't use the vanilla launcher to play BTW. Anyone have info on it?
Newest launcher was released back in early July and is fairly similar to the "New" (that required editing the JSON). Mojang has a post on it (with some pics): https://www.minecraft.net/en-us/article ... er-is-live
The one I heard about doesn't require you to edit JSONs, is that the one you're talking about?
ElectroBot

Post by ElectroBot »

Gilberreke wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:48 pm
ElectroBot wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:36 pm
The one I heard about doesn't require you to edit JSONs, is that the one you're talking about?
I grabbed the newest one (from minecraft.net) and still needed to edit the JSON (changing the ID so that it shows the modified JAR in the versions list as well as removing the "downloads" sections that it doesn't overwrite the JAR when it sees that it is different than original 1.5.2 JAR). It is quite simple to install it if you follow the instructions/video in this thread.

If you were to use MultiMC launcher then you don't need to edit the JSON and it allows you to add files to JAR easier, BUT MCPatcher is a bit more complicated.

EDIT: I just noticed an "Windows (alternative) Get Minecraft without our handy installer. If that’s your thing." which still requires the above.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

ElectroBot wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:34 pm I grabbed the newest one (from minecraft.net) and still needed to edit the JSON (changing the ID so that it shows the modified JAR in the versions list as well as removing the "downloads" sections that it doesn't overwrite the JAR when it sees that it is different than original 1.5.2 JAR). It is quite simple to install it if you follow the instructions/video in this thread.

If you were to use MultiMC launcher then you don't need to edit the JSON and it allows you to add files to JAR easier, BUT MCPatcher is a bit more complicated.

EDIT: I just noticed an "Windows (alternative) Get Minecraft without our handy installer. If that’s your thing." which still requires the above.
It's not the newest one. Someone told me there's an alternate launcher from Mojang specifically for running older versions. I've heard it multiple times, but I have no clue what it is or where it is. Was just asking if anyone had any info on it. It's not the default vanilla launcher.
jakerman999

Post by jakerman999 »

I think I might have found it on the mojang bugs page. There's a note on https://bugs.mojang.com/browse/MCL-1199 ... legacy)%22 that talks about the issues with the old launcher, and the fixes for them in the latest version that it then links to. This isn't the classic launcher that was what 1.5.2 shipped with, this is the version after that launcher. Last updated September?
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

jakerman999 wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:47 am I think I might have found it on the mojang bugs page. There's a note on https://bugs.mojang.com/browse/MCL-1199 ... legacy)%22 that talks about the issues with the old launcher, and the fixes for them in the latest version that it then links to. This isn't the classic launcher that was what 1.5.2 shipped with, this is the version after that launcher. Last updated September?
That sounds closer to what I'd heard yes. Is there a more official place to download that one? Bit weird it's some random link in a bug issue
jakerman999

Post by jakerman999 »

Gilberreke wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:09 pm Is there a more official place to download that one? Bit weird it's some random link in a bug issue
After a bit more digging, no. Just that the link that it is pointing too is a mojang link ( https://launcher.mojang.com/v1/objects/ ... uncher.jar ) which ought to mean something; however I can't find anywhere that points to the new launcher download. I did find another reference to the launcher at https://bugs.mojang.com/browse/MCL-12328 where they mention that part of the chain stopped working in October when the minecraft amazon servers went down. They go on to detail a workaround, so that's nice.

Might be that the amazon servers was the only official form of it's distribution, someone more familiar than I with how that worked might be able to find a copy in a cached page or an internet archive.

Edit: Nevermind: found out how to get it real simple. On windows go into the properties section of Minecraft.exe and change it's compatibility mode to windows XP service pack 2. It downloads the newest version of the legacy launcher, from the official minecraft launcher.
dawnraider

Re: Installing BTW on the Vanilla Launcher

Post by dawnraider »

This guide has been deprecated as the official installation method, however it will remain for posterity's sake for any who wish to continue to use the vanilla launcher (though this is not recommended).

The new official installation guide can be found here.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
DaPlagueDr

Post by DaPlagueDr »

Hey, can you help? I don't know what is wrong.

---- Minecraft Crash Report ----
// Hi. I'm Minecraft, and I'm a crashaholic.

Time: 11/5/23 12:16 PM
Description: Failed to start game

java.lang.NullPointerException
at java.io.Reader.<init>(Reader.java:78)
at java.io.InputStreamReader.<init>(InputStreamReader.java:97)
at bp.a(SourceFile:64)
at bp.a(SourceFile:100)
at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.a(SourceFile:252)
at avv.a(SourceFile:56)
at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.run(SourceFile:507)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)

A detailed walkthrough of the error, its code path and all known details is as follows:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-- System Details --
Details:
Minecraft Version: 1.5.2
Operating System: Windows 10 (amd64) version 10.0
Java Version: 1.8.0_51, Oracle Corporation
Java VM Version: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (mixed mode), Oracle Corporation
Memory: 302288808 bytes (288 MB) / 335544320 bytes (320 MB) up to 2147483648 bytes (2048 MB)
JVM Flags: 8 total; -XX:HeapDumpPath=MojangTricksIntelDriversForPerformance_javaw.exe_minecraft.exe.heapdump -Xmx2G -XX:+UnlockExperimentalVMOptions -XX:+UseG1GC -XX:G1NewSizePercent=20 -XX:G1ReservePercent=20 -XX:MaxGCPauseMillis=50 -XX:G1HeapRegionSize=32M
AABB Pool Size: 0 (0 bytes; 0 MB) allocated, 0 (0 bytes; 0 MB) used
Suspicious classes: No suspicious classes found.
IntCache: cache: 0, tcache: 0, allocated: 0, tallocated: 0
LWJGL: 2.9.0
OpenGL: Intel(R) HD Graphics 2500 GL version 4.0.0 - Build 10.18.10.4358, Intel
Is Modded: Very likely; Jar signature invalidated
Type: Client (map_client.txt)
Texture Pack: Default
Profiler Position: N/A (disabled)
Vec3 Pool Size: ~~ERROR~~ NullPointerException: null
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Locked topic to help people get the message this is deprecated. :)