[32x] TBTWTP 2.0 - BTW 4.8912

This sub-forum is dedicated to add-ons and texture packs for Better Than Wolves.
Battosay

Re: TBTWTP 0.11 - Tekei's Better Than Wolves Texture Pack

Post by Battosay »

walker_boh_65 wrote:I really like it, and i would download if the patcher was so finicky to use with forge, but its really good stuff man
Gné ? oO
That's a piece of cake to do man.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Yeah, the patcher can even automate the modding process entirely, making it even easier than regular install
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

Battosay wrote:
walker_boh_65 wrote:I really like it, and i would download if the patcher was so finicky to use with forge, but its really good stuff man
Gné ? oO
That's a piece of cake to do man.
really? i must have done it in the wrong order..hrmm..now i just feel dumb
the_fodder

Post by the_fodder »

giving it a try.
It's FC mod, he just lets us play it.
Tekei

Post by Tekei »

Ah man, I had planned to do some work on the items this weekend but alcohol, friends, fishing trips and hangovers got in the way. I'll see if i can get an update out sometime during this week.

I am very glad to see that there are people actually trying my TP out. Makes me feel a lot better to be honest.
Tekei

Re: TBTWTP 0.3 - Tekei's Better Than Wolves Texture Pack

Post by Tekei »

Man, it has taken much longer than I expected, a lot due to lack of motivation, not just in the TP but in minecraft in general. Here's an update with the item icons and a few changes here and there. I'm debating where to go next. I can't wait to get started on the paintings to be honest, but I have a feeling I'm better off working on the actual armor textures and maybe the mobs before I go on to paintings.
Tekei

Re: TBTWTP 0.31 - Tekei's Better Than Wolves Texture Pack (3

Post by Tekei »

The TP is up to date with the latest version of BTW (3.10) and I also added the armor textures for Leather and Iron. The other armors will be done eventually but I'm having extreme problems getting the diamond armor to look as I want it.

EDIT: I also updated the screenshots in the OP.
Tekei

Post by Tekei »

So I've pretty much updated the TP with all the new textures for 1.9pre5 and BTW 3.2 but there are two textures form 2..9pre5 that I can't figure out what they are.
It's the one right under the slimeball, looking like some sort of lavaball with a face and the one to the right of the glass bottle looking like some sort of white gem.

Any help with figuring out what they are would be apreciated. :)
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

Ghasts now use that "lavaball" as a projectile instead of flaming snowballs.

As for the "white gem": After a bit of research, I came across this, which says that it's the contents of a potion bottle.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
Tekei

Post by Tekei »

Katalliaan wrote:Ghasts now use that "lavaball" as a projectile instead of flaming snowballs.

As for the "white gem": After a bit of research, I came across this, which says that it's the contents of a potion bottle.
Aha! Thanks a lot! Just need to finish watching Day9 play Amnesia and Ill get right to it ^^
Tekei

Re: TBTWTP 0.32 - Tekei's Better Than Wolves Texture Pack (3

Post by Tekei »

Ok. The TP is now updated to Minecraft 1.9 pre-release 5 and for BTW 3.20, unfortunately you can't use both at the same time. ;)
Also made some tweaks to the obsidian and glowstone textures.

Hopefully there won't be a lot of new textures added between pre-release 5 and the official version of minecraft 1.0 so I can finish the armor textures for th enext update.
Tekei

Re: TBTWTP 0.33 - Tekei's Better Than Wolves Texture Pack (3

Post by Tekei »

- TP updated for BTW 3.21
- Sorry, no new armors yet :(
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

I love the Soap :)
Tekei

Post by Tekei »

Battosay wrote:I love the Soap :)
Hehe, thanks :)
Tekei

Re: TBTWTP 0.34 - Tekei's Better Than Wolves Texture Pack (3

Post by Tekei »

It should be update to BTW 3.22 now (unless I've made mistakes). I won't have time to check myself though until after the weekend (I'm about to head out the door to Dreamhack Winter 2011) but hopefully I didn't screw up.

Good luck with the new update everyone and happy building!
FurkeyRefills

Post by FurkeyRefills »

Very nice TP, hope you don't mind if I take your textures for private use ;)
Your BD and lightblock textures are very nice :)
FlowerChild wrote:I've made another decision... Fuck being a plug-in.
Tekei

Post by Tekei »

FurkeyRefills wrote:Very nice TP, hope you don't mind if I take your textures for private use ;)
Your BD and lightblock textures are very nice :)
Thank you! I'm glad you like them.
I'm ok with people cutting my TP to pieces for private use. Don't share it publicly though, please.
FurkeyRefills

Post by FurkeyRefills »

Tekei wrote:I'm ok with people cutting my TP to pieces for private use. Don't share it publicly though, please.
Scout's honour :)
FlowerChild wrote:I've made another decision... Fuck being a plug-in.
Panda

Post by Panda »

I have to apologies, i did not know the Cauldron soap and rope were your textures, may i use them or would you prefer i make something else.
i assumed that since they were in Battosays pack that they were his, i didn't research properly and i am at fault.
Never say no to Panda.
Tekei

Post by Tekei »

darkpollopesca wrote:I have to apologies, i did not know the Cauldron soap and rope were your textures, may i use them or would you prefer i make something else.
i assumed that since they were in Battosays pack that they were his, i didn't research properly and i am at fault.
Currently, Battosay is using the cauldron, soap, rope and grate textures from my pack. He did tell me that he intends to make new versions for the rope and grate eventually though, if I'm not mistaken.
I would definitely prefer if you made your own textures, since that would be of benefit for the community as a whole, and I love seeing creative individuals contribute to everyone's experience. What I do not like, and more importantly, understand is why someone would cut a bunch of TPs to bits, and then paste them back together like some sort of Frankenstein abomination. It is something that has been going on for quite some time in the MC community but I really don't understand it. The amount of effort and planning that goes into making a TP is far greater than simply drawing a few textures. There is usually a theme, style and of course color matching to consider. Most, if not all of those things are often ignored by "remixers" and I consider remixed packs to be more of an insult to the original artists than a contribution to the community as a general rule. After all, everyone and their mother can learn how to copy and paste in photoshop and if you really want a butchered TP like that then it is easy to make and maintain for yourself. It is not really the making of those TPs that gets to me but rather the sharing of them. It certainly gets in the way of all the nice, original TPs out there. Now, I don't believe that I can keep you from using my textures for personal use, and I won't make the effort to try, but please don't post your TP publicly with my textures in it and even if you do I expect you to have the decency to credit everyone involved in a proper way.

Apology accepted.
Kwilt

Post by Kwilt »

Tekei wrote:why someone would cut a bunch of TPs to bits, and then paste them back together like some sort of Frankenstein abomination.
Not to draw this into any arguments for or against TP comps, but sometimes I tend to like two different parts of two different texture packs and, in my mind, there is a syntax that tends to come together with them.

A personal example of mine is that I love to have my build materials progressively modernize. I tend to like my woods more archaic and worn, while I like my smoothstone very neat. Normally, I can find this, but most often, people don't seem to do this very well with armors. (No offense to any TPers, it's just a really deep-seeded personal preference.) Normally, I can't find a nice set of worn leather armor, and instead of a nice step up in design in terms of iron, say as a weak plate, it tends to look like full-blown iron plating, which, to be honest, looks to be more protective than diamond. And more often than not, diamond tends to just have this weak look in my eyes. So, when I find TPs with nice armors, I tend to have to weigh the pros and cons for preferences.

Again, like I said, there's just a certain type of syntax I like in my designs. Usually, only a texture pack only covers one over the other, and that's why I see it valid to take very similar designs and collaborate them.

But that's all I'll say about that, and will end with saying that I do respect all the texturers who put dedication into their packs, and I most definitely understand your pain when people use even parts of your textures without your permission.

Image (<--------------- Click me to watch live!)
Tekei

Post by Tekei »

KWilt wrote:Not to draw this into any arguments for or against TP comps [...]
You just did. ;)
KWilt wrote:[...] but sometimes I tend to like two different parts of two different texture packs and, in my mind, there is a syntax that tends to come together with them.

A personal example of mine is that I love to have my build materials progressively modernize. I tend to like my woods more archaic and worn, while I like my smoothstone very neat. Normally, I can find this, but most often, people don't seem to do this very well with armors. (No offense to any TPers, it's just a really deep-seeded personal preference.) Normally, I can't find a nice set of worn leather armor, and instead of a nice step up in design in terms of iron, say as a weak plate, it tends to look like full-blown iron plating, which, to be honest, looks to be more protective than diamond. And more often than not, diamond tends to just have this weak look in my eyes. So, when I find TPs with nice armors, I tend to have to weigh the pros and cons for preferences.

Again, like I said, there's just a certain type of syntax I like in my designs. Usually, only a texture pack only covers one over the other, and that's why I see it valid to take very similar designs and collaborate them.

But that's all I'll say about that, and will end with saying that I do respect all the texturers who put dedication into their packs, and I most definitely understand your pain when people use even parts of your textures without your permission.
Of course there are cases where two or more TPs work well enough together in a remix with some tweaks to color etc, but that takes more effort than most remixers (and I say "most" because there are always exceptions) are willing to put in. None of that matters much though since it is so easy to copy and paste textures that there is no need to share those packs on the MCF for example since anyone who wants to mix TPs can do it themselves however they like for personal use.

Now, your ideas about how you want your TP is certainly interesting and I think that if you just sat down and gave it a try you could make a real interesting TP with your own textures. You have a good concept and a clear theme, the rest is up to you. I am certain that the result would be not only a nice texture pack but also a much more appreciated addition to the Minecraft community as a whole. ;)
Kwilt

Post by Kwilt »

I'd love to, but I'm rubbish with art. People who draw stickmen look like Picasso in comparison to my bull-at-brush-end. Though the more and more I play around with making skins and such for my variety of characters for let's plays and adventure maps, I think I might just give it a try. I think I'll leave it up to the professionals for now, though.

For now, though, I'll just be using the texture packs I can find for my personal uses, and change them as I see fit. It's really amazing, to be honest, how the style can differ from artist to artist, when it's all just pixels of varying colors and arrangements. (Though, I suppose that could be said for any art...) For example, I found this really nice pack that fit the theme of my current secret project fairly well, and I'm really enjoying it's feel within the map I'm working on. But, at the same time, when I'm just playing day-to-day on my BTW world, I much prefer a more modern and standard pack like yours that isn't built around a certain theme or schema, and just feels like a texture pack that would work well on a normal world.

Image (<--------------- Click me to watch live!)
Tekei

Post by Tekei »

MounterOfPigs wrote:I'd love to, but I'm rubbish with art. People who draw stickmen look like Picasso in comparison to my bull-at-brush-end. Though the more and more I play around with making skins and such for my variety of characters for let's plays and adventure maps, I think I might just give it a try. I think I'll leave it up to the professionals for now, though.

For now, though, I'll just be using the texture packs I can find for my personal uses, and change them as I see fit. It's really amazing, to be honest, how the style can differ from artist to artist, when it's all just pixels of varying colors and arrangements. (Though, I suppose that could be said for any art...) For example, I found this really nice pack that fit the theme of my current secret project fairly well, and I'm really enjoying it's feel within the map I'm working on. But, at the same time, when I'm just playing day-to-day on my BTW world, I much prefer a more modern and standard pack like yours that isn't built around a certain theme or schema, and just feels like a texture pack that would work well on a normal world.
My idea for the TP to begin with was to retain the vMC feel as much as possible and most important, have things look like what they're supposed to be. I've had some difficulties getting some of the more recent additions of vMC to fit well, and I'm working on it but in general I am quite pleased with the results. Even more so considering that pixel graphics are far from my comfort zone with graphics (and it might be visible to more skilled pixel artists that I'm more or less painting my textures as one would a normal, more high-res texture, rather than worrying about perfect pixels).

You are right that textures can vary quite a lot, which is the beaty of art imo :) And also one of the reasons why I dislike TP-remixes so much.

And I think you definitely should give it a try to work on a TP if you feel you have the time for it. Art is fun, and counter to popular belief, something anyone can do. It just takes practice like anything else. :)

EDIT: Whats with the User name change? :P
Panda

Post by Panda »

you got it man : ) ill make some new ones, i assumed they were battosays, ill make a dope soap and some rope, and a grate would be great, that was lame lol
Never say no to Panda.