Thank You.

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
murillokb

Thank You.

Post by murillokb »

This is a post I was looking foward to write for a couple years now. Not just a thank you note to flowerchild for creating our beloved masterpiece BTW but for changing the course of my life.
Through the years I have been almost religously checking this forum daily and reading all people have been talking about. I have learned so much from you all, specially from FC.
By reading your posts on games and game design I slowly became more aware of what makes a good game and what game design is really about.
At some point 3 years ago I decided to become a game designer. Now I'm writing this as I receive my bachelor of arts in game design.
Thank you Flowerchild and everyone on this forum for sharing your opinions and experiences and showing me the right direction.

I don't usually take part on the discussions but I'll be always stalking and wishing the best for all of you ;)
Gilberreke

Re: Thank You.

Post by Gilberreke »

Oh man, this is an awesome post :D

Good job man!
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

New rule: don't make the tentacled overlord cry :)

Congratulations to you sir, and I hope that it brings you much happiness. Thank you for sharing this moment with us.
Daisjun

Post by Daisjun »

Keep us updated. I've been contemplating throwing my career away and getting into game design as it's something I'm actually passionate about, would love to hear how you go with it.
Equitis1024

Post by Equitis1024 »

Congratulations!!! I love that FC has had such an enormous impact on some of us. I hope that everything works out fantastically for you!

And I guess this thread is as good a place to add my own thanks. A while ago I quit my job in order to switch careers into game development, and finally this month I started a new job as a programmer at a game studio. I've never posted much here, but I've been a fairly religious lurker for years. I found BTW during a rough patch in the middle of college, and honestly it was a big factor in getting me back on track. I was so impressed by what you made with BTW and BTSM, and also by all your thoughts about design that you've shared with us here on the forum, that it gave me much-needed enthusiasm across the board. I ended up finishing a major in philosophy and got an office job doing data analysis, but on the side I started teaching myself programming and working on my own game projects. And now it's taken me in a direction I never imagined I would end up traveling. When they asked me in the job interview about why on earth I was making such a random career switch, I could only say, "Honestly, it's all because of one guy's Minecraft mod..."

So thank you FC, from the bottom of my heart. You have made beautiful things, and have changed lives for the better. :)
Wafflewaffle

Post by Wafflewaffle »

murillokb wrote:By reading your posts on games and game design I slowly became more aware of what makes a good game and what game design is really about.
Cant stress this enough. FC was always super transparent and consistant in his decisions. He took away our toys, explained why and we noticed just how better things got without them. It helps that he was always up to talk about it and experiment with his design.

Im really glad murillokb went for It! And really proud of beign part of this well behaved, smart and interesting corner of the internet. Thx FC!
Oh great, now nothing can stop the inbred train

Paradox Interactive:
CHOO CHOO!
kazerima

Post by kazerima »

I'd just like to add my name to the list of thanks. I'm not quite as far as the others' here, though I've also been pursuing game design myself (one more semester until I transfer to really get started). All the same, I've really learned a lot from FlowerChild's posts on design, industry terms, and explanations on why he chose to modify, add, and remove different features. I don't really post that often, but I still very actively lurk and check the interesting threads every day. Like I say nearly every time one of these threads comes up, BTW is a constant source of inspiration in the form of tightly knit and elegant design, delivering on the true promise of Minecraft more than any other mod through the least dramatic change.
FlowerChild wrote:BANG! BANG! BANG!!!!! AHHHHHH!!!! GET OUT OF FUCKING MY HEAD! HIRE A FUCKING GAME DESIGNER! Fuck.