I tested out an Occulus Rift

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Taleric

I tested out an Occulus Rift

Post by Taleric »

I tried out an occulus rift specifically for warthunder in flight simulation.

My experience was great!

The good:
-Silky smooth interface, zero visual lag. You ARE there.
-Quick setup for this VR specifically. Only one additional USB microphone like IR scope that sits across from you.
-Comfortable and very adjustable headset. Wore for 45 min periods no issue.

The bad:
-Price is very steep ($400ish) and ended up returning mine.
-The resolution is still not to HD levels (mostly why I returned it).
-Limited titles that support it (but this is a small gripe because several titles that do work are incredible like super hot ect.

End thoughts:
I might get a VR set a few generations down the line. There really is huge potential to enhance existing games and foster new ones that bring a new level of satisfaction.
dawnraider

Re: I tested out an Occulus Rift

Post by dawnraider »

I haven't used any desktop VR solutions yet, but one of my friends bought a PSVR, and that was pretty sweet, though I'm sure the desktop VR experience would be even better.. I'm definitely looking forward to future iterations of VR, even if the first generation lacks a bit of polish.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

I've been using a $20 headset that holds my phone in a cartridge and straps it to my face for basic VR applications and movie viewing. Based on that experience I am very much looking forward to using VR for HOTAS games. Star Citizen and Elite in particular. The tech seems custom made for vehicle based gameplay
Better is the enemy of Good
Daisjun

Post by Daisjun »

I've had an HTC Vive for nearly a year now, and while I've really enjoyed it, I'm on the fence as to whether I've gotten my money's worth.

I have a fairly substantial VR library now and I can't really say there's a game that keeps me coming back. I've certainly had some fantastic experiences such as The Lab and Rec Room which are coincidentally two of the best games on the Vive and are completely free. Zombie Training Sim is great, as are other games like Job Sim, Pirate Trainer, Hotdogs and Horseshoes etc. I just feel that once you've experienced it, the novelty is gone and you're not going to find a lot of replay value.

Don't get me wrong, the amount of technology you get for the price is staggering. The tracking and immersion is amazing and taking the headset off and coming back to reality is certainly a bit of a trip. There's plenty of videos online of people forgetting they're playing a video game, my favourite has to be Ronnie O'Sullivan trying to lean on a pool table that isn't there:
Spoiler
Show
DaveYanakov wrote:The tech seems custom made for vehicle based gameplay
It definitely excels in that department. The real surprise for me was Euro Truck Sim. It's a wonderfully Zen experience and a must have if you have a VR headset. Project Cars is great fun too.

Minecraft in VR is certainly a trip, gives you a sense of the scale of the Minecraft universe. Mobs are also a lot more terrifying life-sized, haha.

The tech kinda reminds me of when CD-ROM technology was introduced into gaming and you had a lot of naff CD based gaming consoles like the Phillips CDi, Sega CD and Commodore CDTV. The tech is there, but no-one really knows what to do with it yet. I'm sure this will change with time however.

Also it's quite physically demanding and not something you're going to want to jump into if you've just gotten home from a long day of work to chill out with. I don't get any kind of physical sickness with VR as some do, but it's still quite a draining experience.

VR will never take over non-VR gaming as a mainstay, but it's definitely interesting. Just wish there was more software out there to support it. The reason there isn't is likely down to major companies not wanting to invest in something with such a small user base. The user base being small as the cost is so high. With lowered costs it's likely a lot more companies will hopefully get involved.

I feel at this stage you more want to be the friend of the person that owns the VR unit than have one yourself. Great to try out and it's a mind blowing experience when you first try it, but the excitement does die down.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Daisjun wrote:VR will never take over non-VR gaming as a mainstay
I'd never say never with this kind of thing. I haven't even tried a VR unit yet, am not actually that personally excited about them due to my whole eye trouble thing, but I know this is something that the industry has been building towards for at least a good 25 years. I clearly remember getting very excited about early VR headsets as a much younger man, and doing a fair amount of design thinking on them a couple of decades ago.

I think Dave is right in that this technology has always been geared perfectly towards vehicle sims rather than the more full-body experiences that seem to be the fad right now. IMO, piloting a plane or driving a car would be a much more immersive experience, as you can actually build up a full body sensory experience, say with a home cockpit setup, that closely matches what you are seeing in your headset. IMO, it also may finally address some of the situational awareness problems that plague such games, that require gimmicks like third person cameras to compensate for.

Obviously, we're likely not to see people plugging directly into their spinal cord anytime soon, but I think if you can create a physical environment that matches what you see on your displays you can create an experience that would come very close to that for very specific game types.

I also think that market penetration is going to start increasing greatly with time since the displays are becoming a thing in non-gaming circles as well. IMO, a device that can give you a screen that occupies your entire field of vision and which you can take anywhere is just objectively better than any size of TV. As they get cheaper and higher res, I think we'll inevitably see widespread adoption, and once that happens, game support is bound to follow. But then again, I've also been making that same argument for 25 years so the rate at which that actually occurs may be a tad ambiguous ;)

Been following this thread quite closely. Thanks for taking the time to write up your experiences guys, as I find it all quite fascinating.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

I think what I want for movies is an AR set that puts my couch in the middle of the movie or something. I still want to be able to see my loved one, grab some popcorn, grab that blanket, etc.

I wish I had any sort of disposable income, I might try a cheap VR set, but honestly, I'm holding out for a few generations down the line. I've been waiting for decades now for this tech (I'm the guy that used to play DOOM on the old '95 tech that didn't catch on), I can wait a little longer and I feel like we're going to see massive improvements over the next few years.

I'm also way more excited about wearable AR I think. I'm not sure. That being said, I should really find a friend that owns a VR set and try one (I know people, but due health concerns I've turned into a hermit and I'm not sure if people still know I exist at this point).
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Daisjun

Post by Daisjun »

FlowerChild wrote:I think Dave is right in that this technology has always been geared perfectly towards vehicle sims rather than the more full-body experiences that seem to be the fad right now. IMO, piloting a plane or driving a car would be a much more immersive experience, as you can actually build up a full body sensory experience, say with a home cockpit setup, that closely matches what you are seeing in your headset. IMO, it also may finally address some of the situational awareness problems that plague such games, that require gimmicks like third person cameras to compensate for.
Yeah this is definitely an issue I'd considered. For basic racing games etc I've found that it feels perfectly natural, you're not grasping around in the dark for controls. But I can imagine with more advanced flight sims locating controls with a headset on would be a lot more difficult. There are haptic gloves on the market that could allow you to directly interact with controls in VR, but they're ludicrously expensive atm.
Gilberreke wrote:I think what I want for movies is an AR set that puts my couch in the middle of the movie or something. I still want to be able to see my loved one, grab some popcorn, grab that blanket, etc.
Yeah I've watched a few VR videos but never really had the desire to watch a full movie in VR. I'd rather have a smaller screen than have to deal with something stuck on my head and complete blindness. Having said that VR does have an AR mode somewhat that allows you to see your surroundings with a camera mounted on the front.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

If they can track the positions of controllers, they can sell a sensor you can put on your throttle and joystick which will tell the software where to render a model of your controls. Assuming Logitech or Thrustmaster don't just cut out the middleman and sell a line of Vive/Oculus compatible setups themselves
Better is the enemy of Good