Choosing a Cell Phone, Help

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Rawny

Choosing a Cell Phone, Help

Post by Rawny »

Good day all.
I've not had a cell phone since 2001 but do have a workaround (spoiler tab). I've been looking at phone for a year now and have really looked into them for about two weeks now. No where better to ask for some feedback or pointers than at a very good group of forum'ers like the btw forum'ers.

Toss up right now is lg g6, Google pixel xl, or the iPhone 7 plus. Not which of these should I get but what are YOU using, what should I get, and why?

For those wanting to know my "workaround"...
Spoiler
Show
my "land" line is VOIP and when someone calls and leaves a message the system sends me an email with the message as an attachment MP3. I have an iPad with cellular service and thus I'm always connected. If you pay skype something like 3$ a month you can use Skype to make outgoing calls!

Conclusion: if it is important enough you'll leave a message, I can always get the message, I can always call out, and I get no annoying calls from anybody! :)
haphazardnuke wrote:"Quick and Easy" is incompatible with Better than Wolves. Try using the patch, "Sense of Accomplishment".
kazerima

Re: Choosing a Cell Phone, Help

Post by kazerima »

I'm still in the pre-smartphone dark ages, but I have a Samsung Rugby II that's probably the last generation of flip phones to be manufactured. It's not good for anything besides calls, but it could survive me throwing it against the wall and looks nicer than a nokia.
FlowerChild wrote:BANG! BANG! BANG!!!!! AHHHHHH!!!! GET OUT OF FUCKING MY HEAD! HIRE A FUCKING GAME DESIGNER! Fuck.
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

The biggest deal on the smart phones is being able to surf the web. If you just want to make calls get a flip phone. The iPhones do have a plus in that you can face time and text people on their network very easily.
Daisjun

Post by Daisjun »

Depends on what platform you want really. I've always been a big fan of Android devices since the first one I bought. Honestly can't stand anything Apple these days, well overpriced for what they are, the LG and Pixel are comparable and much cheaper. Also don't like the amount of restrictions Apple places on iPhones.

I currently have a Nexus 6P which is the predecessor to the Pixel and I love it. Though the LG has removable storage which I've always found a big plus.

We're really at a point now where advances in phone technology are minimal and phones are vastly similar. Really I'd be looking at what you can get the best deal on. If you want to save a lot of money, get a 6P, great phone.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

As a web developer, I boycott Apple. Their browsers are standards nightmares and Safari is the new Internet Explorer (which itself has gotten quite a bit better strangely). That's probably not a reason to buy or not buy a phone, but whatever :)

Make Gil's life better, don't use Safari :)

https://arstechnica.com/information-tec ... -explorer/
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
EtherealWrath

Post by EtherealWrath »

Can I say none of the above? -I brought one of these back in 2015

On its outset- its a fairly decent phone; camera is decent, sound quality is good, LED torch is bright enough for most things, battery seems to last about two weeks, phone rings loud enough for me to hear it in a noisy environment, and it doesn't matter if it drop it or it gets wet. (added bonus- if it gets dirty just wash it off).

Main reason I got this one out of the choice of "tough" phones was the price (and the reviews)- my first foray into having a smartphone and I wasn't prepared to sink £500+ on something I might not use or get on well with. The black/yellow styling also looked pretty cool.
Phantom screams echo through the ruined facility
A horrible silence builds an eerie tranquility
The souls of many innocent fill the air
The hope they all died with scattered down there
kregoth

Post by kregoth »

I would Honestly go with the Pixel, and get Project Fi from Google. I have the Nexus 5x and use Project Fi.

$30 a month non contract (pause or cancel anytime with no fees) in total
-$20 for unlimited text and calls (and really cheap international rates, and no roaming fees)
-$10 a month per gigabyte (With credit back to your account for data not used, plus no data roaming fees pretty much anywhere in the World. anything over is just $0.1 per meg)

I fucking love it. super easy to manage, if you have any place with WiFi around that's fast enough, it will use that to make calls and use data automatically (saves a lot of cell data). I pay around $25 a month for only using half my data. And the signal is amazing most the time. Customer service is awesome too.

Plus bonus for being always on the newest android version! and if you sign up using this link, you'll get $20 for your first month, and I will get $20 https://g.co/fi/r/3UX0HN (totally not mentioning fi because I can get $20 credit :), it really is awesome! )
FlowerChild wrote:My theory is that stupidity acts like an infectious organism on the net. Unless it's regularly pruned from your "garden", it will inevitably overwhelm it and kill off everything else.
Rawny

Post by Rawny »

Thank you everybody.
I'm perty sure what my decision is but when it is all said and done I'll give an update.
haphazardnuke wrote:"Quick and Easy" is incompatible with Better than Wolves. Try using the patch, "Sense of Accomplishment".