Using a different game directory for BTW

If you're having problems with your installation of Better Than Wolves, or if you've woken up in the future and are beginning to doubt the nature of reality, here's the place to post about it.
gaga654

Using a different game directory for BTW

Post by gaga654 »

After a recent mishap where I opened a BTW world in VMC (thank goodness for backups!), I've tried changing the game directory for BTW. In the launcher, I changed the "Game Directory" setting under my BTW profile to a different folder, but the behavior baffles me. Now it seems like whenever I start up minecraft using the BTW profile, it chooses randomly between showing the saves in the default folder and the saves in the other folder. Has anyone else experienced this, or know how I can fix it?
darahalian

Re: Using a different game directory for BTW

Post by darahalian »

I remember having this issue as well when I tried using a different folder for my BTW saves, and I couldn't figure it out.. sometimes it worked, and sometimes it didn't and just showed the saves in the default folder. I just ended up going back to keeping them in the default folder, since I pretty much stopped playing anything but BTW unless it was on a server or realm. Sorry I can't offer any help, but I thought I'd confirm that it's not just you.
FlowerChild wrote:Remain ever vigilant against the groth menace my friends. Early detection is crucial in avoiding a full-blown groth epidemic.
Rawny

Re: Using a different game directory for BTW

Post by Rawny »

Hiyas.
Here's what I do. One, I have a folder for each (two for me) "type" of minecraft so that I don't get mixed up in the saved worlds. This means I have a folder something like "MC_BTW" and "MC_posVanilla" that contain all of the necessary MC files(first run maybe just the minecraft.exe if you're starting this from scratch. I think there was a launcher change at some point in the past few months (maybe more) but I'm using the old one. So do all the necessary patching and modding you want for each "version".

Here's the good part, you can change this up all you want (until you break it). Make a batch file and use the lines bellow:
Title Minecraft Launcher
set APPDATA=%CD%\
"%ProgramFiles%\Java\jre1.8.0_101\bin\java.exe" -Xms1024M -Xmx2048M -jar "%CD%\minecraft.exe"
exit

The long line that mentions java can be tricky, you need to go find the right folder for it found in the Windows folder. Yes, I change my batch files everything I update my java.

Using the batch file above will us and save all files in that folder, in all the correct folders.

Final note, man it was hard to not write "Directory" every time instead of "Folder".
haphazardnuke wrote:"Quick and Easy" is incompatible with Better than Wolves. Try using the patch, "Sense of Accomplishment".