conveyor belts ( Glasses strange properties )

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
BigShinyToys

conveyor belts ( Glasses strange properties )

Post by BigShinyToys »

Best way I can Describe it is a Ring Counter that is vertical And made Of glass. The items are pushed into The side (VERY IMPORTANT) of a Glass block. and are circulated up.

While trying to make a mill in the neather I accidentally placed a glass block on some items. the items did not jump up like they would if I placed dirt or cobble. So i thought what would happen if i pushed it with a piston. Strangely the items stayed in the glass but moved to the new block. i thought what can i make out of this And so here is the glass item conveyor.

I can only take pics so if anyone could make a short Vid of this I would be very gratefully.
Here is the map with the conveyor in it.http://www.filefactory.com/file/cd600e7 ... _Wolfs.zip You will be standing in font of it Follow the instructions and you will see the items get lifted. If there are problems with the File i will make a new world with only this in it.

Here are some pics of it .
Spoiler
Show
Removed the top two images as they were of a BOMB not the conveyor accidentally uploaded them.
Second lot of images
Spoiler
Show
This is the Front of the conveyor.The leaver it the pic controls the timer.
This is the timer. It is a Piston based timer system that is perfect for ring counters.Got it form the wikki.
This shows where the items are pushed into the glass. you through them in the hole next to the glass then close the hole with the piston.
This is showing some sticky pistons In the glass After the piston has closed.
This is the items going up .
Picture form the back showing items in glass being pushed up.
Last edited by BigShinyToys on Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
screally

Re: conveyor belts ( Glasses strange properties )

Post by screally »

Wow I didn't know glass acted like that. I'll definately try downloading the map and giving it a go since I don't quite 100% understand how it all works
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Does it work horizontally too? Also, it will probably work with half-step blocks too, you should try that out...
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
BigShinyToys

Post by BigShinyToys »

Gilberreke wrote:Does it work horizontally too? Also, it will probably work with half-step blocks too, you should try that out...
It workes better Horizontaly . And I have not tryed Half-step . I might latter
M!C

Post by M!C »

Very nice. I'm definitely going to use this!
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

I haven't downloaded, but I think I understand the concept.

Gonna play later. If anyone wants to post screenshots in the meantime though :p
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

This is brilliant, because I had noticed that behavior hundreds of times in the past, but it never dawned on me to combine this with pistons.

We finally have decent vMC conveyor belts. Yay! Only problem is that it's reliant on a glitch, so it might be removed in 1.8. On the other hand, it's a glitch that has been there right from the start, so maybe it will stay.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
BigShinyToys

Post by BigShinyToys »

Best way I can Describe it is a Ring Counter that is vertical And made Of glass. The items are pushed into The side (VERY IMPORTANT) of a Glass block. placing them at the bottom douse not work. I will take more descriptive screen shots.
Gilberreke wrote:This is brilliant, because I had noticed that behavior hundreds of times in the past, but it never dawned on me to combine this with pistons.

We finally have decent vMC conveyor belts. Yay! Only problem is that it's reliant on a glitch, so it might be removed in 1.8. On the other hand, it's a glitch that has been there right from the start, so maybe it will stay.
[EDIT]
I don't know if it is a glitch as like you said it has been there a long time and all other blocks Don't do this so glass might be special for some reason??

And I Added new pics with descriptions of what they are
[\EDIT]
Tekei

Post by Tekei »

Ok so, after reading this, i did some testing. I'm not sure how you manage to get the items to stick between the glass blocks. However, I created a similar machine where every other block was a solid block of any kind (I used wool) and had glass in between them. The pistons are powered from a turntable with redstone torches attached to two of the sides to continually turn them on and off. It works wonders for lifting items upwards if you can't spend the resources for an archimedes screw.

I'm wondering though; will this work after the 1.8-patch whith the new glass? Or was that a new block type all together and will glass as we know it still be in the game?
BigShinyToys

Post by BigShinyToys »

Tekei wrote:. I'm not sure how you manage to get the items to stick between the glass blocks.
I have a piston push them into the side of the Glass block See the new pics . the one where they are squashed into the glass . they will fall (I bet this is the problem you are having) If you only put them on the piston below the ring and have it push them up then they fall and it push them up and fall again . so it needs to be side loaded not bottom loaded . See pictures 3 and 4 Of the second lot for how i do it.

I would make a Vid id i could sorry pics is best i can do.(and i have tried FRAPS)
Tekei

Post by Tekei »

Yes, the problem was I hadn't timed it properly so the piston that was supposed to push the items into the glass retracted before the glass was pushed upwards. Now it's working just fine.
Both pistons and leading a water stream to the glass works as a loading mechanism, and the beaty of it is that you can easily drop the items into a new water stream once they reach the top.

Great discovery!
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Would it be possible to simply have a BD place the glass over the objects? I think that'd save a lot of the extra hassle involved in getting the items going.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

Neat, I have seen this down with alternating half blocks and fence posts, but this is so much easier!

However this behaviour with glass not pushing items out was supposedly fixed in 1.6, and may be fixed again!

I might try something similar, so much easier than my piston staircase (sooo hard to wire and time reliably).
Last edited by gftweek on Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
M!C

Post by M!C »

Stormweaver wrote:Would it be possible to simply have a BD place the glass over the objects? I think that'd save a lot of the extra hassle involved in getting the items going.
How would you get your glas back into that loading dispenser without having it move in a circle which does the job anyway?

EDIT: Damn it, ninja'd ...
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

M!C wrote:
Stormweaver wrote:Would it be possible to simply have a BD place the glass over the objects? I think that'd save a lot of the extra hassle involved in getting the items going.
How would you get your glas back into that loading dispenser without having it move in a circle which does the job anyway?

EDIT: Damn it, ninja'd ...
Ninja'd by who? :|

What I mean is instead of having a piston push the items into the glass ring, have a block dispenser remove and replace the glass where you load it. it just sounds easier than forcing items into the ring with a piston :p Don't worry bout it though, I'll test it myself later. tommorow. too tired to think about MC atm >.>
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

Stormweaver wrote:Ninja'd by who? :|
I did, then un-ninja'd him, because I hadn't tested it, so thought I might be missing something about how it works.
Tekei wrote:I'm wondering though; will this work after the 1.8-patch whith the new glass? Or was that a new block type all together and will glass as we know it still be in the game?
Glass panes will be a separate block, the current glass blocks will still exist (but they might reintroduce the 1.6 fix that will in theory prevent this from working).

I'm still not sure if I'll bother with 1.8 or not, I'm really looking forward to the new lighting and biome generation, and villages will be okay, but since FC will be on leave when it comes out, and MCP will take a while to update it might just be best to wait till 1.9 when strongholds, villages and the skill points systems are all fully implemented.
Vongard

Post by Vongard »

using a block detector you could make a decently ccompact and very slow timer with this =O

~Von
Whisp

Post by Whisp »

I found this video a while ago, the glass blocks should work the same as half blocks in this video although I'm not entirely sure if the water pushes the items inside the glass blocks.
But like with half blocks, the items drop out of the glass block once the block underneath is removed.

I have a small version of it set up for testing purposes, because I want to build a sand wall like in Battosay's self building house, which crashes down, but then lands on torches above signs above a waterstream (so that the sand blocks automatically collapse to item form and land in the water stream), that transports the sand blocks back up to block dispensers, which rebuild the wall.
Tekei

Post by Tekei »

Whisp: Yes, it's the exact same principle. Nice video btw! Glass seems to work the same way (Yes you can push items into it with water). Now there's no need to spend lots of mossy stone on an archimedes screw when this does the same thing and is a lot cheaper.

I guess it's better to use halfsteps as in the video instead of glass and risk a bug fix.
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

Yeah, that's the video I've seen. I'll have to have another look at it when I get to that stage in my current world. It may be a good system for small lifts when there isn't room for a pulley elevator and the alternating circuitry involved.
Whisp

Post by Whisp »

I especially like, that you have a constant item transport upwards and don't need to block items until a lift with pulleys is in position. That alone saves quite a bit of redstone wiring.
BigShinyToys

Post by BigShinyToys »

This is a Mill that has it's items ejected into glass. This glass is then rotated like a ring counter. The main advantage is this system Douse not Require water to work So you can set up a mill in the nether As best I can tell it was only possible to build a manual mill till now.
NOTE: It has to be run from a Wind mill if you build it in the nether.

Also you can use pots in place of the glass for the vertical item conveyor.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Nice one :)
I wouldn't use something like that, because the constant redstone/piston pulse would make me lag a lot, but that's a sweet design idea :)
BigShinyToys

Post by BigShinyToys »

Battosay wrote:Nice one :)
I wouldn't use something like that, because the constant redstone/piston pulse would make me lag a lot, but that's a sweet design idea :)
The lag is one of two problems that make this Very unlikely to be used regularly by people.
The other is it leverages a bug with the glass (at minimum it is a feature that has not been announced at worst a bug that will be fixed.) I haven't seen proof ether way on that.
Tekei

Post by Tekei »

BigShinyToys wrote:
Battosay wrote:Nice one :)
The lag is one of two problems that make this Very unlikely to be used regularly by people.
The other is it leverages a bug with the glass (at minimum it is a feature that has not been announced at worst a bug that will be fixed.) I haven't seen proof ether way on that.
It works just as well with half-steps as shown in one of the videos above. I haven't tried out horizontal transportation with half steps yet though. Might as well do that right away :)