Oxygen Not Included - by Klei

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Taleric

Oxygen Not Included - by Klei

Post by Taleric »

Oooooh aaaaah! I'll be watching you ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

http://store.steampowered.com/app/457140
Wafflewaffle

Re: Oxygen Not Included - by Klei

Post by Wafflewaffle »

Is this Dont Starve/Dwarf Fortress/Craft the World/Spacebase DF-9 orgy child? Consider me interested.
Oh great, now nothing can stop the inbred train

Paradox Interactive:
CHOO CHOO!
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

Probably more Don't Starve/Fallout Shelter from the trailer, but it's too early to tell.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
Wafflewaffle

Post by Wafflewaffle »

Katalliaan wrote:Probably more Don't Starve/Fallout Shelter from the trailer, but it's too early to tell.
2 dont make an orgy... no longer interested.
Oh great, now nothing can stop the inbred train

Paradox Interactive:
CHOO CHOO!
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Looks like a threesome at minimum to me
Better is the enemy of Good
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

I think it's just cruel to show us something like this and not let us play with it.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

It's like someone took all the things we like, stuck them under a tree and told us we can't open it till christmas.

...Hopefully it's ready before christmas.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Are those... rat wheels? Sold.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

First look in a Klei LP yesterday:

https://www.twitch.tv/kleientertainment/v/87036725
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Seems really, really cool. I'm sold so far.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Oh ho ho!

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/top ... lable-now/

Desperately trying to figure out how to get them to take my money right now :)
Whuppee

Post by Whuppee »

Bottom of that same post, click the [Buy on Steam], "add to cart" type link. Oddly it's not actually available for purchase on Steam, except through that link. Mine's downloading now!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Whuppee wrote:Bottom of that same post, click the [Buy on Steam], "add to cart" type link. Oddly it's not actually available for purchase on Steam, except through that link. Mine's downloading now!
Yeah, I was just being stubborn trying to get it to work through the Steam client. Gave up eventually and just went with the web access.

Haven't had much time to play it yet, but so far so good :)
Whuppee

Post by Whuppee »

FlowerChild wrote:Haven't had much time to play it yet, but so far so good :)
I'm glad :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Been playing it a lot the past couple of days, and there's definitely something there.

It's still in a rather early stage of development, so I wouldn't expect an extended play experience yet, and I've certainly ran into a few bugs. However, there's already a fair bit of challenge there and several interesting systems.

It wasn't immediately apparent when I started, but gameplay really seems to revolve around manipulating gasses and fluids to keep your minions alive. I'm a big fan of such mechanics, so I'm having fun with it even at this early stage.
valiant11

Post by valiant11 »

The game looks promising, at first glance it even doesn't look like an early alpha. However, after a while you begin to notice problems and bugs. My biggest dissapointment for now is that I realized that the game is not simulating a "closed system". For example, CO2 machine ("Air scrubber") takes in a lot of clean water, but if there is no CO2 to filter, it gives out no contaminated water. A black hole, sort of. Similar problems can be seen with other machines, too.

It could also be that this is a deliberate design decision, to create a constant need to go further, conquer more land and get new resources.
Nice game, anyway. I'm curious to see how it will develop further.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

I'm pretty sure the scrubber consuming water when it's not working would be a bug. Never noticed it as I only power the scrubber when I have a massive surplus of CO2, and I always place it in the bottom levels of my base where the CO2 pools. You tend to lose too much air pressure if you just leave it running (the gas is outright consumed, not replaced), which will eventually result in stuff like your crops no longer growing and suffocation for your minions. Early and mid game it's probably best to just dump your CO2 into unused chambers anyways as it makes for a good "filler" gas for that, especially if you're pumping 02 out of them.

There are bugs to be sure, and they've been releasing almost daily patches since going public. There are also some machines that are probably just best avoided entirely, like the shower and algae farms, which consume massive amounts of water for very little benefit. I assume in cases like that, it's a question of them not being fully balanced yet.

And no, I don't think you're meant to be able to maintain a closed system at this stage of development. My understanding is that being able to do so is the eventual goal of the game, but it's intended to be quite difficult to do so. I also suspect there's a lot of detail in terms of chemicals produced by various processes not yet implemented, as if you look at the gas and fluid list in the air or water filters, you'll see there's a heck of a lot of unused variety in there.

So yes, for now, you have to keep pushing outwards, which makes the game quite interesting IMO. I think I'm on my 4th or 5th colony now, the others having all gone into one form of downward spiral or another due to various causes. It ain't at all easy, which is the main reason I'm enjoying it so much, even with all the little problems.
Psion

Post by Psion »

i will admit, for a dwarf fortress game, i'm enjoying myself a lot. most of them i kinda go "meh" after a couple hours and put it down, but this one shows promise even at this early stage of the game. ive also heard of a useful resource if you dig deep that you can use to purify water, though the exact details of that are unfamiliar to me as i've yet to get past several minions so far before i realize they're starving to death or suffocating. XD

my latest issue was from overheating my plants, leading to a food shortage. i had no idea how much heat was building up in my colony from all the machines running, including a CO2 scrubber. my plants were near the top of my base near the bathrooms (i kept them up top in hopes the contaminated air would get stuck up there instead of stinking the place up) and all the heat was getting stuck up there along with it. tried building a cooler thingie to destroy the heat but... it couldn't keep up. it felt like my dup was putting out more body heat from using the thing than it was removing...but maybe i just don't understand the mechanics of it. i thought it destroyed heat entirely but maybe it just moves it?
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

Good god.

Even don't starve and rim world did not cause me to fail cascade so bad.

No long after I unlock the last tech the algae starts to run dry and my adventures in hydrogen always end in horror.

I finally took a peek at a LP and they are operating on a massive scale compared to my base lol. Go big or go home I guess.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Taleric wrote: No long after I unlock the last tech the algae starts to run dry and my adventures in hydrogen always end in horror.
I decided to pause my playing on this one until future updates already, so I may be behind on any recent balance changes, but I found algae farms not to be worth it. My last couple of bases, I'd generally only have one or two oxygen gen and a scrubber.

In the end, my biggest problems usually resulted from low atmospheric pressure due to expanding too quickly, or overusing the scrubber.

But yeah, it's a great game already for the cascade failures :)
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

I don't think I like cascade failures very much. I feel like too many games are set up like that (DF, Rimworld, etc), with not a lot of cool mechanics attached to combatting cascades. You make one mistake and down the toilet boil your swirl.

Not sure if there's a good way to make cascades more fun.
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

Gilberreke wrote:Not sure if there's a good way to make cascades more fun.
Oh this cascade is still pretty fun :). The art, animations and environment make it beautiful to watch with the fluid dynamics. I give them a partial pass because like FC said still under build & balance.

I do have to agree about rimworld though, not sure if it is all the options or what but I have had so many near total losses then worked my way back it is crazy. That moment like in the Matrix when the mechanical squid enters the ship and they hit the EMP, it is like mana from heaven to come back from that in a game lol.
devak

Post by devak »

Taleric wrote:Good god.

Even don't starve and rim world did not cause me to fail cascade so bad.

No long after I unlock the last tech the algae starts to run dry and my adventures in hydrogen always end in horror.

I finally took a peek at a LP and they are operating on a massive scale compared to my base lol. Go big or go home I guess.
I'm in my second playthrough (first one i quit at 40 days) at day....168 i think.

Cascades aren't that bad once you know what you're looking for, and mostly come down to bad design. It's absolutely crucial that any heat-producing building is nowhere near your plants (above ~30 degrees they produce nothing). Make sure that any puke on your plants is cleaned up ASAP. Make sure your bed room has place for CO2 to move away from (dont have more than ~8 tiles without a new air hole in the floor, either a permeable membrane or a ladder). Nothing creates a stress cascade like your minions waking up gasping for air. Also, yes all this happened to me at least once. I went from ~12 minions to 1. That reminds me, more than 4-6 minions in the early game (the algae stage) is overkill, in fact it's dangerous. I currently run 8 and i'm managing, but 6/8 have been on 100% stress for i think 30 days now and i'm still not able to break the stress->puke-> step in puke -> increased stress cycle.

Don't use the lice bar recipe. It uses too much water. Initially you could spare it if you're short on food, but really you want a whole bunch of plants producing excess food, especially when you get heat problems and a quarter is overheated (or underpressured). If pressure problems persist, place an airlock door to ensure your plants are always pressurized. type of gas doesn't seem to matter.

Fun fact: toxic air isn't actually toxic. I think it's not been properly added yet. I'm currently running a base where several puke/contaminated water basins produce contaminated air for my base. i'm trying to get steam purification working but damn it's hard (You need a very thin layer of water less than a block thick next to something hot like a battery).

Fun fact: Liquid (and solid) chlorine and CO2 do not actually heat up and turn to gas again. i've got a setup where i simply cool the air and dump the liquids in a waste lake. This is also how i get rid of chlorine

Lastly, i'm trying to set up a proper air purification by liquefying it (and yes, that takes about ~12-14 coolers) and then turning it to a gas again. contaminated air turns to (pure) liquid air, so you can simply then evaporate it (strangely liquid air does evaporate but chlorine and CO2 do not).

EDIT:
It's evil of me to talk of such a base and then not show it:
oxygen production:
Spoiler
Show
primary base: (and yes, i do full manual power. Coal mining just doesn't keep up with power production. Around 4 are in use per day, i made more in case of vandalism)
Spoiler
Show
dump site for Co2 and chlorine (and some accidental solid oxygen)
Spoiler
Show
In the final pic is my (failed ) attempt at steam. I think there are simply too many things that cool the water (electric wires, pipes, gas ducts at ~35 degrees). I'll rip out as much as i can and start anew.
Spoiler
Show
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

That is a very nice setup Devak! Good information as well.

I was starting to get the grasp of pressurization but got hung up on "sorting" the air by filter. Also I was scared to death of contamination lol.

Maybe I will wait a bit more, great to see the progress. I kept trying more don't starve but am finally burned out.
devak

Post by devak »

Taleric wrote:That is a very nice setup Devak! Good information as well.

I was starting to get the grasp of pressurization but got hung up on "sorting" the air by filter. Also I was scared to death of contamination lol.

Maybe I will wait a bit more, great to see the progress. I kept trying more don't starve but am finally burned out.
I hope contamination gets fixed soon because it does feel very dirty. But the few status effects that exist (spores, stink) seem to solely be the result of contaminated water. And boy does contaminated water hurt stress levels. I think the main reason it's not in yet is that dirty air is extremely hard to deal with. The filters seem to destroy a LOT of contaminated air in order to obtain fresh air, and it makes maintaining adequate air levels hard. So the game definitely needs a better way of dealing with contamination.

Not sure if this helps, but the game doesn't model pressure, it models temperature and density. Hydrogen tends to go up, then air, then chlorine and finally CO2. However at low densities, the gases become more similar and so CO2 and hydrogen can easily spread. (If it modeled pressure, pressurizing a room would heat it up and depressurizing would cool it down. There's no relation between temperature and pressure, thank god)

I've been working on getting steam running but a simple system continues to elude me. I've seen pictures of working systems online but it seems that the initial heatup of water simply takes too long. Each time i refill the reserves it just absolutely destroys the temperature levels. I'm also trying cryogenic air filtration but that takes up massive amounts of power (or is simply too slow). Heat is becoming a serious problem (i now permanently have 2 coolers cooling my primary base) as it destroys my food production.

Lastly: coolers produce a LOT of heat, so it's best to case them in isolating bricks together with a pump and reduce the density to a few grams per cube. This minimizes heat conduction.