Has anyone tested the maximum explosion of the Cauldron?

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
finite8

Has anyone tested the maximum explosion of the Cauldron?

Post by finite8 »

I'm eager to see what level of decimation will occur by filling a Cauldron with 64 stacks of Hellfire Dust and cooking it under a stocked flame.

I so wanna make a city "Self Destruct" using this epic idea.
Flowerchild (IRC) wrote:I'm not trying to stop you BTW ..., I'm saying that I think you're a piece of shit...not the same thing
Fracture

Re: Has anyone tested the maximum explosion of the Cauldron?

Post by Fracture »

The maximum radius is apocalypse. Don't know exact block distance yet, but it leveled my house.
Abracadabra, you're an idiot.
Triskelli

Post by Triskelli »

duartemad

Post by duartemad »

LMAO
FlowerChild wrote:
Ph1il93 wrote:and it seems 1.4.6 is comming.
Excuse me for a moment while I say:

Fuck.
finite8

Post by finite8 »

ROFL.

Was that maxed out? I wonder what the Gunpowder explosion size is. I was kinda hoping for "Apocalyptic decimation" levels of destruction.
Flowerchild (IRC) wrote:I'm not trying to stop you BTW ..., I'm saying that I think you're a piece of shit...not the same thing
Triskelli

Post by Triskelli »

Well, it was as maxed out as I could get it, but the Hellfire Dust started smelting into bars immediately, so it wasn't the full 64 stacks. I'll try and set up a more proper experiment and analysis tomorrow, when it's not 1:45 a.m.
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

Hmm, does it destroy all of the BTW blocks? I'm wondering if this is a viable excavation technique (mining out rooms for construction space, not resources).
Necropolis

Post by Necropolis »

From the screenshots it looks like a similar sort of drop rate as a normal explosion, only like a third of the blocks (possibly less). I only see a couple of hibachis in there. You could get by with just one, but that's an expensive drilling operation: a hibachi, a bellows, a turntable (or some elaborate redstone), a waterwheel, some axles, a bunch of redstone dust, plus the effort to set it all up, PLUS the massive amount of hellfire dust you need, which would probably take you as much time to mine as the pit the explosion creates, if not more. I would say that until our chemical engineering has advanced to the point where we can harness this terrible power that this is not a viable method of excavation. Also, I for one rarely need a hemispherical hole, so you would still need to get down there and clean it up.

P.S. I forgot the cauldron and the repeaters/torches. Add to your capital cost estimate.
Last edited by Necropolis on Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Damion Rayne

Post by Damion Rayne »

Triskelli wrote: -snip-
Epic...

Very cool Trisk, very cool
[TG-18th] Damion Rayne
TG Instructor
Developer Relations
Content Development
"Teamwork, Maturity, Tactics, http://www.tacticalgamer.com"
BigShinyToys

Post by BigShinyToys »

I built my own bomb to check the results for my self. Used a hibachi not a Bellows as the trigger (to stop any turning into Blocks of concentrate.)

I was per-paired for a BIG Creator and Went to the trouble of building and Obsidian bunker and a Ring counter bases 5 Minuit timer. Then bang ... whimper. ... It did a little hole in the ground.

I was expecting a Creator that went from ground level to bedrock And Vaporized everything it touched. But no just a Bang - whimper Not a FING HUGE BANG. I hope FC see's the error of his ways messing with these kinds of materials should end in a game ending huge BANG. It should even destroy obsidian so we have no protection form it. (I had a piece of obsidian right above the Cauldron and it was still there after the boom. ow well...

Is still kind of Cool (when someone decoders the optimum Amount for detonation this might be a Expensive way to mine.) :)
Last edited by BigShinyToys on Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
finite8

Post by finite8 »

BigShinyToys wrote:I built my own bomb to check the results for my self . and used a hibachi not a Bellows as the trigger ( to stop any turning into Blocks of concentrate.)

I was per-paired for a BIG Creator and Went to the trouble of building and Obsidian bunker and a Ring counter bases 5 Minuit timer. Then Bang ... whimper . ... It did a little hole in the ground.

I was expecting a Creator that went from ground level to bedrock And Vaporized everything It touched. But no just a Bang - whimper Not A FING HUGE BANG . I hope FC see's the error of his ways messing with these kind of materials should end in a game ending huge BANG . it should even Destroy obsidian so we have no protection form it . ( i had a piece of obsidian right above the Cauldron and it was still there after the boom. ow well...

Is still kinda Cool ( when someone decoders the optimum Amount for detonation this might be a Expensive way to mine. ) :)
GAAACK.... the grammar Nazi in me wants to scream........ ERK!
Sajuuk

Post by Sajuuk »

I piled a cauldron full of sand and gunpowder and got pretty much the same size explosion as above. It had equal amounts of sand and powder, but I didn't go crunch it in terms of 5s.
Spoiler
Show
Found a cavern under it, though.
[ IGN = Herpingderp ]
grimper12341

Post by grimper12341 »

While a nuclear explosion would be nice, FC has said many times before that he hates breaking people's games.

Whether this be save incompatibility if forge becomes MCE, unleashing too many Ghasts and making FC feel like a griefer, changing blocks and causing peoples worlds to screw up, or leveling someones entire base of operations from an innocent mistake with a cauldron.

Just imagine if you were a newbie player and didn't keep backups of your saves D:
BigShinyToys

Post by BigShinyToys »

grimper12341 wrote:While a nuclear explosion would be nice, FC has said many times before that he hates breaking people's games.

Whether this be save incompatibility if forge becomes MCE, unleashing too many Ghasts and making FC feel like a griefer, changing blocks and causing peoples worlds to screw up, or leveling someones entire base of operations from an innocent mistake with a cauldron.

Just imagine if you were a newbie player and didn't keep backups of your saves D:
I see you're point Newbie players house going boom might put them off BTW. but for the rest of us a NUKE would be cool and one with a Ring counter clock set up on a collapsible circuit . That gives me an idea for an adventure map ( DISARM MY BOMB ) a map where you have 5 min's to disarm a S#!^ load of TNT or cauldrons loaded with power .
Last edited by BigShinyToys on Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
grimper12341

Post by grimper12341 »

Although making the cauldron able to do bigger blasts, but making bigger blasts disabled by default in the config might work.
Urian

Post by Urian »

Easier solution: Use multiple cauldrons if you want more boom (e.g. for an adventure map) :)
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

Necropolis wrote:From the screenshots it looks like a similar sort of drop rate as a normal explosion, only like a third of the blocks (possibly less). I only see a couple of hibachi's in there. You could get by with just one, but that's an expensive drilling operation: a hibachi, a bellows, a turntable (or some elaborate redstone), a waterwheel, some axles, a bunch of redstone dust, plus the effort to set it all up, PLUS the massive amount of hellfire dust you need, which would probably take you as much time to mine as the pit the explosion creates, if not more. I would say that until our chemical engineering has advanced to the point where we can harness this terrible power that this is not a viable method of excavation. Also, I for one rarely need a hemispherical hole, so you would still need to get down there and clean it up.

P.S. I forgot the cauldron and the repeaters/torches. Add to your capital cost estimate.
Wow, I really didn't think that one through you're right, way to expensive. Also the individual blocks of tnt that the cauldron could make properly would make a much larger hole when used on their own.
blithen

Post by blithen »

Did it with a full cauldron of 64 gunpowder.
Spoiler
Show
ALSO, I don't have a pirated copy of minecraft, my computer doesn't feel like connecting to the minecraft servers.
Add me on MSN Messenger, we can chat about our feelings and coffee and minecraft.
Haidaes

Post by Haidaes »

I expected more when ppl said it was gigantic. But tbh, thats not that much. The hole an IC-Nuke makes is big ^^.
Whisp

Post by Whisp »

Has anyone tested if the explosions are directed?
Since cauldrons are open on the top, FC might have it programmed in a way, that the explosion above the cauldron is much bigger than that on the sides or below.
Vongard

Post by Vongard »

from my experiments i got about the same explosion as shown above by filling the entire thing with 64 stacks of nether dust.
and from what i have seen it seems to be efficent-ish for mining, i got about half of the nether dust back and no cauldron but besides that i got all of the items seemed atleast.