Hodor!!!!! - Game of Thrones spoilers

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
DaveYanakov

Re: Hodor!!!!! - Game of Thrones spoilers

Post by DaveYanakov »

I don't revel in character deaths but it does annoy me when a show kills off secondary characters for cheap thrills. It's a symptom of weak writing that indicates that the arc is going to fall apart before the story can be properly told.

I did honestly believe for awhile that Martin couldn't achieve orgasm without killing a Stark tho
Better is the enemy of Good
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

DaveYanakov wrote:I did honestly believe for awhile that Martin couldn't achieve orgasm without killing a Stark tho
Lol! Well put :)
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Since we talked a bit about The Walking Dead here...
Carol is becoming my one of my favorite characters. I like her more and more with each episode... Not gonna say why to avoid spoilers but.... man, is she fucking awesome
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Just saw the latest episode. Is it me or did we just get a really quiet one after two of the best episodes in the series? Maybe it's just that after those two, everything would've been a bit dull. I assume 9 will feature a big fight, like always, so the next one will be pretty quiet too I guess?
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

I dunno, there may not have been anything truly earth shattering, but holy hell! A character that we've come to love actually survived!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Well, the thing with Arya is a bit of a question mark :)
Larmantine

Post by Larmantine »

who cares about Arya or Dany (hope she dies). or Tyrion (he could die as well) BUT THE FRIGGIN HOUND IS BACK!
weldaSB wrote:Edit: grammer
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

FlowerChild wrote:Well, the thing with Arya is a bit of a question mark :)
I can't see them invest so much time in the character to have her die, but yeah, that scene scared me a bit :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Gilberreke wrote: I can't see them invest so much time in the character to have her die, but yeah, that scene scared me a bit :)
I hear you, but: red wedding. After that, I could never believe anyone immune again, which is exactly the way I like it. You never know when he's just going to come along and drop a meteor on half the main characters :)

I normally would have groaned at a character like Jon Snow escaping death the way he did, but given his track record, it didn't bother me in the least. I think what would have been great there is if after she fell into the river, you just never hear from Arya in the series ever again, leaving readers in a perpetual traumatic state of never knowing what's happened. That would have topped even his most callous character killings of the past ;)
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

People that I think might possibly die before this season's end:

Arya: low chance
Jamie: medium chance
The Hound: medium chance
Bronn: high chance (someone's going to die in the battle with Blackfish, my money's on him)
Blackfish: high chance

If this season's end has a big climactic ending for Dany's story and the harpies strike again:

Tyrion: low chance
Grey worm: low chance
Missandei: low chance
Red Priestess: medium chance (having two really similar priestesses seems unlikely)
Varys: medium chance (comes out as being the leader of the harpies)
Daario: medium chance (comes out as being the leader of the harpies)

The North:

Jon Snow: low chance
Bran: low chance (he might just be a plot device to get the white walkers on the other side of the wall, but I'm not expecting that this season)
Sansa: medium chance
Little Finger: medium chance
Melisandre: high chance (having two really similar priestesses seems unlikely)
Ramsay: high chance

King's Landing:

Cersei: low chance
Grandmother Tyrell: low chance
Marjorie: medium chance
High Sparrow: medium chance
Loras: high chance
The Mountain: high chance

I'm expecting at least 3 or 4 people on this list to die before the season ends. Basically a standard Dothraki Wedding Unit.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Hehe...I'm not sure if it can get much worse for The Mountain than his current state :)
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

FlowerChild wrote:Hehe...I'm not sure if it can get much worse for The Mountain than his current state :)
I love how the characters that are brought back to life get it so bad.

- The Mountain is basically a zombie
- The guy from the brotherhood that has been brought back a couple times comments how he's slowly losing himself
- Jon Snow obviously took it hard
- The Hound comes back, only to see the first people he meets brutally slaughtered

Yes, you get second chances, no you're not going to like em :p
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Well, by contrast, things looked pretty grim for Theon for awhile, but he's feeling much better now!
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

FlowerChild wrote:Well, by contrast, things looked pretty grim for Theon for awhile, but he's feeling much better now!
I loved that brothel scene so much :D. Poor man.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Watching Arya disappear into an uncaring crowd was even better than vanishing into the river if you're looking for ambiguity. I was referring to the Hound tho. Seeing him turn revenant is going to be interesting and they put a hell of a lot of effort into his character development over the course of he series. It's basically been one massive redemption arc, so you know his end is going to be particularly brutal...

Watching Reek die was just as satisfying though. Theon completing his reforging process and emerging as a hardened blade and the Hound coming back with the strength of four men? How can anyone call this an uneventful episode?
Wafflewaffle

Post by Wafflewaffle »

Im afraid for Davos. Little finger is gonna come down (up?) with an army and will kill every sod that is too smart for his taste, and I believe Davos will be a among the dead this season. I cant wait too see Little Finger interect with Melissandre thought, thats such an odd pairing.

Its possible Beric Dondarrion will show up later in the Hound story arc or maybe that special character we all miss from the books. Either way the Hound will eventually have to fight some undead.
Oh great, now nothing can stop the inbred train

Paradox Interactive:
CHOO CHOO!
jstu9

Post by jstu9 »

The 4 people who I figured had no chance of dying were Jon, Arya, Tyrion and Dany. I was a bit shaken when Jon was stabbed but I was pretty much certain he was coming back. Same with Arya. I would be absolutely stunned if she dies this season. Well, i mean no chance until the very end of the show.

Now, in the final season I think any of them might die. Though of those 4 I would put Arya as most likely.

I would be surprised if Jamie or Cersie die this season though I think there is a good chance by the end of the show. I would be surprised if they make it to the end without dying.

Bran isn't dying anytime soon. I doubt Sansa will die anytime soon.

For minor characters, any of them might die. Ramsey is an almost certainty. Probably the High Sparrow will die.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

DaveYanakov wrote:I was referring to the Hound tho. Seeing him turn revenant is going to be interesting and they put a hell of a lot of effort into his character development over the course of he series.
By "revenant" do you mean undead here, in the style of Jon Snow? I didn't pick up on any clues that indicated he had died in that episode, rather than just made a recovery. Did I miss something?
Wafflewaffle wrote:I cant wait too see Little Finger interect with Melissandre thought, thats such an odd pairing.
I hear you, but is it really anymore? She seems to have pretty much lost her faith, so it's not really the full fanatic / opportunist contrast it would have previously been.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

If anything Davos + Little Finger seems the odd pairing to me :D. I hope they get some screen time. Just awkward staring?

If for some weird as hell reason, Davos makes it on the iron throne, I'd be pretty fine with that. Dude would make for a good king I feel.
jstu9 wrote:The 4 people who I figured had no chance of dying were Jon, Arya, Tyrion and Dany. I was a bit shaken when Jon was stabbed but I was pretty much certain he was coming back. Same with Arya. I would be absolutely stunned if she dies this season. Well, i mean no chance until the very end of the show.

Now, in the final season I think any of them might die. Though of those 4 I would put Arya as most likely.

I would be surprised if Jamie or Cersie die this season though I think there is a good chance by the end of the show. I would be surprised if they make it to the end without dying.

Bran isn't dying anytime soon. I doubt Sansa will die anytime soon.

For minor characters, any of them might die. Ramsey is an almost certainty. Probably the High Sparrow will die.
Yes, I agree, also, there's no way Rob Stark will die, he just became king in the north. I don't see him or his mom dying any time soon. /sarcasm
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

FlowerChild wrote:
DaveYanakov wrote:I was referring to the Hound tho. Seeing him turn revenant is going to be interesting and they put a hell of a lot of effort into his character development over the course of he series.
By "revenant" do you mean undead here, in the style of Jon Snow? I didn't pick up on any clues that indicated he had died in that episode, rather than just made a recovery. Did I miss something?
Wafflewaffle wrote:I cant wait too see Little Finger interect with Melissandre thought, thats such an odd pairing.
I hear you, but is it really anymore? She seems to have pretty much lost her faith, so it's not really the full fanatic / opportunist contrast it would have previously been.
Not undead in the literal sense, but as a character who we, along with everyone in Westeros, thought was dead coming back to the land of the living driven purely by hatred and vengeance. Revenant seemed the most fitting term.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

DaveYanakov wrote:Not undead in the literal sense, but as a character who we, along with everyone in Westeros, thought was dead coming back to the land of the living driven purely by hatred and vengeance. Revenant seemed the most fitting term.
Ah, ok. Not sure if you're reading them, but that term would be a little more ambiguous if applied to the books. Like, in the books, the Stark mum comes back to life after the red wedding without explanation and seems quite undead. Kinda like Jon Snow just did, minus the ceremony. There's also a subplot with some undead bandit king guy, that seems to be a similar thing. It all kinda feels like whatever magic the white walkers use to raise the dead is also having a more subtle but similar effect south of the wall.

I thought you may have spotted something that indicated The Hound may have done the same. The conversation with the preacher about his miraculous recovery seems to indicate he might of died, but I didn't see anything conclusive to that effect, and it still seems like he may have just been a really tough bastard :)
devak

Post by devak »

I got the impression the hound just barely pulled through. Though he does continue the undeath through Fire theme.
In that sense, Ice magic = undead and Fire magic = revival
Wafflewaffle

Post by Wafflewaffle »

devak wrote:I got the impression the hound just barely pulled through. Though he does continue the undeath through Fire theme.
In that sense, Ice magic = undead and Fire magic = revival
This would be ironic cuz the hound is scared shitless of fire. A friend of mine theorycrafted some crazy stuff about this song of fire and ice, its relation to dragons and The Wall. The evidences for it are stronger in the books then in the show but its actually really clever shit if it ever comes to fruition.
Spoiler
Show
the fucking wall is giant prison for a ice dragon basicaly.
Oh great, now nothing can stop the inbred train

Paradox Interactive:
CHOO CHOO!
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

I am familiar with Lady Stoneheart, yeah. Was expecting her to show up last season but they must be holding he in reserve for a haymaker
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

DaveYanakov wrote:I am familiar with Lady Stoneheart, yeah. Was expecting her to show up last season but they must be holding he in reserve for a haymaker
I was thinking they may have just ditched the concept, as honestly, I didn't find it a particularly compelling part of the books. So far, I've found that the omissions from the TV series have generally been for the best.