LAN troubles, not connecting

If you're having problems with your installation of Better Than Wolves, or if you've woken up in the future and are beginning to doubt the nature of reality, here's the place to post about it.
Rianaru

LAN troubles, not connecting

Post by Rianaru »

I was trying to get connected with my brother on a LAN world for BTW, version 4.99999A0F Marsupial!?!? but every time we try to connect, we either get a message that the host could not be found or couldn't be connected to. I've checked the internet and everything on my end, and it looks like its all working properly, so I thought I'd ask over here. Are there any known problems like this/fixes for it?
FlowerChild wrote: -----

A short while later:

FlowerChild: What is this pussy shit?
rumkex

Re: LAN troubles, not connecting

Post by rumkex »

Firewall rules? Not actually being in the same network? Disabled broadcasting on router?

Try pinging each other. Try connecting directly by IP.

It's not like it is a BTW-specific problem, though.
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

You're right, and I don't think it's likely that it was caused by BTW, I was just checking to see if anyone in the community had run into a similar problem or had a solution. Same network, disabled firewall, connected directly by IP. If it helps, we can connect to LAN using vanilla or non-BTW mods(although we experience random disconnects on the non-host client about every 10 minutes). I'll triple check the network and router settings, but I'm pretty sure everything is set up properly. Thanks for the advice though. I think barring the network settings being messed up the only thing I have left to try is to update both clients to the newest version of BTW, but yeah, it doesn't really seem like a BTW-specific(or at least caused by btw) issue, so I'm not too hopeful that updating will do anything

A short while later:

Taleric

Post by Taleric »

I had a problem like this before setting up a lan with the wife for regular MC. To get connecting (we were oddly able to see each others world but could not join) it was security settings in the internet connections and allowing sharing.

I has been a while so I could not saw specifically what. If you are not security concerned or keep the lab off the web you could just set everything unlocked and full share.
Marasambala

Post by Marasambala »

I sometimes have to add the port number after the ':' when I direct connect with my kids. When the host first opens the LAN, 0.0.0.0:xxxxx pops up in the chat area. It's weird because it's inconsistent whether MC sees the server or not.
Sometimes I think everyone else is smarter than me, then I realize everyone else is smarter then me.
rumkex

Post by rumkex »

Another thing to check: while the server is up and running, run on that PC the following (in command prompt): "netstat -an". After that, look at "LISTENING" ports, and check that the server is indeed there.
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

Thanks for all the suggestions guys! It turns out that my brother installed some sort of server proxy software on his computer so he could game at school(he's still in high school where they care about that stuff) and he didn't tell me about it until now, we just took that off and things started working. I really do appreciate the extra advice though xD

A short while later: