Sugarcane farm (compatible with hemp)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
RHCPepperfan

Sugarcane farm (compatible with hemp)

Post by RHCPepperfan »

Finally it's done! My sugarcane farm took me way to much time but it is realiable.
Probaly the worst way to make a farm, but I thought it out myself completly and I'm fairly new to redstone and this mod anyway! This is a big archievement for me!

What happens:
1. Eight blockdispensers place a suger cane.
2. Wait untill it grows fully.
3. Two detectorblocks detect when it is fully grown.
4. Only when both detectors see it being fully grown, eight pistons pull the dirt blocks with suger canes on it down and water flows in.
5. The water flows the sugercanes into a hopper.
6. On the same time, delayers ensure that the piston will push the minecart when it is filled.

I wanted the sugercanes only to be obtainable when the minecart is filled five times.

7. A lock system ensures that the minecart gets returned.
8. Step 1 to 7 repeats five times.
9. You can obtain the sugercanes from the minecart.
10. You send it back.
11. The system gets fully locked again.
12. Step 1 to 12 repeats infinite times.

If you want to see how it works, you can download the map here!
redeyedmonstar

Re: Sugarcane farm (compatible with hemp)

Post by redeyedmonstar »

haven't downloaded it yet for a proper look, but will have a look later.
sounds very impressive but rather than using counters their are ways with BTW to detect when a hopper is full (a full hopper gives off a redstone signal), which could be used instead to tell a full cart to leave and a new one to be sent.
Hopefully that will help/inspire you
RHCPepperfan

Post by RHCPepperfan »

Wouldn't work well enough for me because the minecart would be sent but the hoppers keeps dropping some canes. Then the minecart cannot return back under the hopper because canes are in the way! Thx for your reply anyway!
Tekei

Post by Tekei »

RHCPepperfan wrote:Wouldn't work well enough for me because the minecart would be sent but the hoppers keeps dropping some canes. Then the minecart cannot return back under the hopper because canes are in the way! Thx for your reply anyway!
Couldn't you just send a redstone signal to the gear box powering the hopper to stop it from spitting out items while the minecart is away?

Either way, this is an impressive farm! Good job! :)
Fracture

Post by Fracture »

I like the idea of the dirt being pulled down for a water flow, but I don't think it would work with wheat or hemp. Fairly sure that if the piston movement didn't un-till the soil, the water flowing over it would.
Abracadabra, you're an idiot.
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

Flowing water doesn't un-till soil, or no wheat farms would work, not sure about pistons or BDs though.

The second stage of hemp grows much faster than the first, so it only makes sense to knock off the top, rather than remove the whole plant. Doesn't matter for reeds though as all 3 stages grow equally.
RHCPepperfan

Post by RHCPepperfan »

Tekei wrote:
RHCPepperfan wrote:Wouldn't work well enough for me because the minecart would be sent but the hoppers keeps dropping some canes. Then the minecart cannot return back under the hopper because canes are in the way! Thx for your reply anyway!
Couldn't you just send a redstone signal to the gear box powering the hopper to stop it from spitting out items while the minecart is away?

Either way, this is an impressive farm! Good job! :)
It was not fast enough to do to that and I had not enough space! So I came up with this idea!