BTW always crashes minecraft [HELP]

If you're having problems with your installation of Better Than Wolves, or if you've woken up in the future and are beginning to doubt the nature of reality, here's the place to post about it.
paulie9990

BTW always crashes minecraft [HELP]

Post by paulie9990 »

1. Clean Jar
2. Delete Meta
3. Put modloader in jar
4. Put BTW in jar
5. Mc crashes
sargunv
Site Admin

Re: BTW always crashes minecraft [HELP]

Post by sargunv »

What version of MC? What version of BTW? What version of ML? Contents of Modloader.txt? Need more info.
finite8

Post by finite8 »

Also, what kind of crash. Different crashes have different causes. They types of crashes i know of is:
- (1) You get the proper "Minecraft has crashed" error message.
- (2) Screen goes black and either locks up or eventually closes.
- (3) Screen says "Saving Chunks" and then locks up, goes black or closes.

(1) is a nicer error but is generally thrown when Mojang have screwed something up or you have an actual Operating Environment issue causing the game to behave unexpectedly. Personally, i have had all sorts of errors, but are yet to encounter this one. (2) Is the real nasty one that generally results in you going back to Vanilla and retracing your steps until the error occurs again. (3) happens when something screws up with the world. Either something is invalid in the world, or the data is corrupted and the game engine cannot interpret it. An example of (3) is playing in a BTW modded game in a Vanilla version of Minecraft.
Flowerchild (IRC) wrote:I'm not trying to stop you BTW ..., I'm saying that I think you're a piece of shit...not the same thing
paulie9990

Post by paulie9990 »

finite8 wrote:Also, what kind of crash. Different crashes have different causes. They types of crashes i know of is:

(1) is a nicer error but is generally thrown when Mojang have screwed something up or you have an actual Operating Environment issue causing the game to behave unexpectedly. Personally, i have had all sorts of errors, but are yet to encounter this one. (2) Is the real nasty one that generally results in you going back to Vanilla and retracing your steps until the error occurs again. (3) happens when something screws up with the world. Either something is invalid in the world, or the data is corrupted and the game engine cannot interpret it. An example of (3) is playing in a BTW modded game in a Vanilla version of Minecraft.
It is number 1 then number 2
RegularX

Post by RegularX »

Modloader places a crash log, Modloader.txt, in the mineceaft root ... might help.
Hyotai

Post by Hyotai »

finite8 wrote:Also, what kind of crash. Different crashes have different causes. They types of crashes i know of is:

I got the error of (3)... But I had 1.7.2 Minecraft for the 1.7.2 BTW mod.... Only other mod was TooManyItems. I tried deleting MC and reinstalling it, together with the ModLoader, deleted META-INF folder like what the instructions said but it doesn't work. I tried to install it without TooManyItems as well but that didn't work as well... How do I solve this?
Supernaut

Post by Supernaut »

I'm now getting the third error too, i probably stupidly accepted the update to 1.7.3, which i'm now regretting.

I removed the META-INF file in minecraft.jar and then put in modloader and BTW for good measure in case anything had been altered by the update.

So i'm wondering, if i clear my bin folder, and then try to put in the mod again will the BTW items i've used in my save be there once again? It may sound like a stupid question, hell it probably is one, but i'd rather make sure before i do it!
James_Past

Post by James_Past »

If I remember correctly mods that were updated for 1.6.x worked with all other 1.6.x versions of minecraft so I don't know why things aren't working now.

I have also been getting error number 3.
cheechako

Post by cheechako »

Did you clean out your mods folder? Did you install ModLoader and then test it by launching MC before installing any other mods?

AFAIK, 1.X.y -> 1.X.z generally doesn't change the obfuscation, so some mods may continue to work. However, BTW is complex and tweaks some of the core code. So even a minor upgrade (that doesn't change obfuscation) can sometimes break things.

Bottom line - when a new MC is released, even if it seems like a minor upgrade, it is safest to assume that BTW (or any other mod) won't work until updated. So either a) backup MC first (possibly the whole .minecraft folder), b) don't upgrade until all of your favorite mods are also updated or confirmed to work, or c) experience vanilla MC all over.

Also a side note, when a new MC is released, it is safest to assume that FC is aware of it and will begin to look into updating BTW when he has the chance. There is really no point to "ask" or "remind" him about it, and certainly no need to bribe him with emoticons (which, thankfully, you can't easily do here.)
"That's the nice thing about mods. There's something for everyone. Some of us like to build functional elevators, while others want to run around with a bunny on their head."
ToonYoshi

Post by ToonYoshi »

THis happened to me, except I didnt update. I had BTW 2.64 (I think thats the latest), Modloader 1.7.2, MC1.7.2, and TMI 1.7.2/1.7.1.
Yo Dawg I Herd You Liek Derp, So I Put a Herp Derp in for Your Derp So You Can Herp Derp That Derp Dawg.