are pre-wheat pigs worth the cost?

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: are pre-wheat pigs worth the cost?

Post by FlowerChild »

MaxAstro wrote:I apologize for my assumptions.
Nah, not at all man, I didn't intend it that way.

The point about me talking about features ahead of time comes down to the realization I made in the past (and which I'm reminded of now) that no feature can live up to the combined expectation of players. This is true of whether the player in question is you, or whether it's me on another game. It actually happens to me a lot as a player with KSP as Squad is terrible at dropping vague "you're going to love this! It's going to be huge!" statements, then delivering a lump of coal in people's stockings in the end :)

By me talking about stuff like that ahead of time, especially in vague terms, it's essentially setting everyone up for disappointment. It's natural when confronted with vagaries to draw your own conclusions, and that will naturally be based at least somewhat on one's own desires only to be disappointed by the end result because it of course won't match those desires perfectly.

On my end that ends in disappointment as well as I of course can't live up to what other people wind up hoping for meaning the end result is greeted with less enthusiasm than I might expect upon release, and it's also disheartening to hear while you're working on something that the expectations for what it is are actually greater than what you're actually trying to achieve. I wind up feeling like I'm working on something nobody actually wants and that they will inevitably be disappointed with.

So, my bad entirely, not yours. Was just reminded of the cycle of disappointment that I learned to (mostly) avoid in the past. As you probably know, I don't like describing absolutely every detail ahead of time as that also spoils a lot of the fun of a new release, but I also have to keep in mind given that, that I should keep my mouth zipped on certain things that will inevitably raise expectations as well :)
I still dislike the growth mechanic on mushrooms, but when you explain it that way I completely understand the point.
Yup, I totally hear that. I don't love them either btw (I think I've even talked about that in the past), but as per usual with my features I'm always trying to look for the greatest bang for the buck. Revamping the mechanics entirely is just a little more work than I want to devote to them right now, and I think I've come up with some low "cost" solutions here that will make them much more interesting regardless.

Actually, what I should be saying is: the next release is going to suck ass. Accept that now, and none of us will wind up disappointed ;)
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

FlowerChild wrote:Actually, what I should be saying is: the next release is going to suck ass. Accept that now, and none of us will wind up disappointed ;)
Oh man, it will suck ass so much, like nothing has ever sucked ass before. It will be a completely new way of sucking ass. I know it will, because it's you making it suck! I'm so excited by the unprecedented levels of suck I'm about to receive! I'm so HYPED!
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Gilberreke wrote:I'm so HYPED!
Bastard :)
abculatter_2

Post by abculatter_2 »

Well, personally, I've kinda caught on that you like making small changes that make a big difference over large changes that make the same difference, so I tend to expect that talk like that probably means it's going to be a little tweak rather then sweeping, epic changes. (which is actually something I quite like about your design style, as it really helps in keeping the feel of the original game rather then feel like you're trying to overwrite it)

Though, having said that, the masochist in me is secretly hoping that, upon updating, the mycelium-mushroom garden outside my door will try to eat me/my other plants, and that my quantum chicken farm (I'm sorry, it's just so much more space and resource efficient! It's hard to pass up...) will turn half my base into a crater. :P
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

Gilberreke wrote:
FlowerChild wrote:Actually, what I should be saying is: the next release is going to suck ass. Accept that now, and none of us will wind up disappointed ;)
Oh man, it will suck ass so much, like nothing has ever sucked ass before. It will be a completely new way of sucking ass. I know it will, because it's you making it suck! I'm so excited by the unprecedented levels of suck I'm about to receive! I'm so HYPED!
Hardcore sucking?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

SterlingRed wrote: Hardcore sucking?
That would be far too suggestive. Children play this game.
MaxAstro

Post by MaxAstro »

Honestly I've mostly given up trying to anticipate what your changes will be. You are brilliant, and come at problems from directions I never would think of.

I couldn't begin to guess what changes you are going to make to chicken breeding, for example - I see the problem you have laid out, but I have no idea what a solution would be. Or rather, I can think of several solutions, but none of them are elegant.

But I know that when I see the solution you end up going with, I will think "Oh, duh. That makes perfect sense!" That's pretty much always my reaction to the patch notes...

I guess the point of all of this is, good job. :) My g/f and I have successfully converted another of our friends to BTW; as always, seeing the look of shock upon using his first wooden pick was incredibly satisfying. As is listening to my g/fs constant string of warnings to him. "No, carry slabs so you don't jump. No, don't hunt that cow! Oh, and stay away from rivers when it gets dark. Don't swim in the deep areas! Oh, pumpkins, awesome! No, don't harvest them all, leave one in case we lose the others... Oh god get away from that jungle!"

I believe he has now dropped Don't Starve in favor of BTW.
"In the near future, the apocalypse has had an apocalypse."
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

MaxAstro wrote:I believe he has now dropped Don't Starve in favor of BTW.
That wouldn't happen to be Beasty_Muffins over on the MCF BTW thread would it? Just asking because he kinda joined in outta nowhere a few days ago and is a Don't Starve player as well. Seems like a cool guy :)
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Just a quick question to people who have dealt in mushrooms more than me. I was under the impression that the most efficient way to farm shrooms is to use mycelium to make large ones grow, then chop those down (very hard to automate though). With a large enough farm, even though manual work is required, you can get tons of mushrooms.

Is that impression correct?
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

Yes, growing large mushrooms is the most efficient. Afaik they can however grow in a setup such as a saw tube though, allowing automation. I may be wrong though, it would be great if someone could confirm/deny this.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
jakerman999

Post by jakerman999 »

dawnraider wrote:Yes, growing large mushrooms is the most efficient. Afaik they can however grow in a setup such as a saw tube though, allowing automation. I may be wrong though, it would be great if someone could confirm/deny this.
I can confirm that the pentapipe does work as of version 4.99999A0F Marsupial!?!? at least for late game mushroom production.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Hm. Saw tube?
War..
War never changes.

dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

Basically growing a tree (or in this case mushroom) in a 1x1xN area, which only allows the trunk to grow. By putting saws along the side of it, it'll automatically harvest everything.

Example: http://imgur.com/1rXT6jU The same works with mushrooms instead of saplings.
Get the Deco Addon here!
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Wait, are mushrooms able to grow without their tops, or is it open at the top and red shrooms are able to grow regardless?
War..
War never changes.

dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

Yeah, they only need enough room to grow the stalk, similar to how trees only need the trunk
Get the Deco Addon here!
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Whelp, didn't know that, imagine that! That means that mushroom farming is easily fully automated, all you need is mycelium, saws 2 bds and a good initial supply of shrooms to get started. Of course I have exactly zero use for mushrooms in my world, but I might still build a shroomfarm somewhere away from main base just for fun. Thanks for the info!
War..
War never changes.

SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

Mushrooms are one of the early farmer villager trades, good for building up emeralds. Other than that I have no use for them either.