Salt (Early Access game) question

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
logorouge

Salt (Early Access game) question

Post by logorouge »

I was basically looking for a game like Wind Waker, but without the whole "assemble the Triforce and beat Ganon" business. A slow-paced game about sailing the high sea and exploring countless islands in a colorful world, supported by an exploration-based progression that would make it all the more fun. To my own surprise, I might have found what I was looking for in Salt (currently Early Access).

Now, since I played the demo, I already know the sailing/exploration aspects and even the game's aesthetics are pretty spot-on what I wanted. What I don't know, is if the long-term progression is there yet.

For those who already played this title, what is your experience with the progression in mid to late game?
Azdoine may have wrote:Well, we are harvesting souls [...] Sure, they get trapped in a piece of metal, but at least they get to see the world.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Salt (Early Access game) question

Post by FlowerChild »

I've had it for awhile (I think I picked it up with a slight discount during the holiday sale), and it's pretty darn cool.

Haven't played the newest release yet (the newest version of The Long Dark took precedence for my gaming time), but all I can say with regards to your question about progression is "maybe".

There's a fair amount to do and explore, but no real long term goals to pursue, so it all feels rather aimless. I enjoy it now and then for a bit of a relaxing sail around.

Let's see: maybe I'd give it ten hours or so beyond the demo (which I played before purchase as well) before the content feels exhausted?
logorouge

Post by logorouge »

FlowerChild wrote: Let's see: maybe I'd give it ten hours or so beyond the demo (which I played before purchase as well) before the content feels exhausted?
Hot damn, that's pretty good! It's a bit more than my optimistic guess.
And reading the dev's blog about where he wants to take the game and his thoughts on something like fishing mechanism, I think things are promising. :)

By the way, thanks for sharing your thoughts, Flowerchild. Much appreciated.
Azdoine may have wrote:Well, we are harvesting souls [...] Sure, they get trapped in a piece of metal, but at least they get to see the world.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

I spent a few hours with the demo again today now that I can run it and most of that time was spent just sailing around in the raft enjoying the very solid mechanics. You can even scull the rudder to get a little forward momentum going with the sail down, which is attention to detail I can get behind, to the point where when I finally got the small boat assembled I was actually disappointed to find it equipped with a wheel instead of a tiller.

Glancing through the reviews it seems like the developer has added rather a lot of questing and content in the form of late game goals but the greater variety of island types is still in the works. I'm not sure how I feel about the MMO/RPG style of resource nodes rather than being able to tear into exposed cliff faces or chopping down the tightly packed trees for the basic resources needed but overall I think I'm going to have to pull the trigger on this one.
Better is the enemy of Good