Android or Windows Phone?

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Larmantine

Android or Windows Phone?

Post by Larmantine »

Getting a new phone soon, but can't decide between these two platforms. Help?

I know that some of you don't use phones at all... but most of you do.

So which one, WP or android and why? Have looked upon Lumia 930, but still thinking maybe I should go for Xperia Z2 or something along those lines. I've used android for the past couple of years, it was fine, but the lags and bugs sometimes are very annoying, but that's probably the phone's fault not the OS's. And I want to try something fresh, that's why I'm leaning towards WP. Yes, I'm very well aware that it lags behind in terms of Apps.

I've looked upon many reviews and discussions, most of them are biased written by fanboys. I'd like to hear some real personal experiences.
weldaSB wrote:Edit: grammer
DaveYanakov

Re: Android or Windows Phone?

Post by DaveYanakov »

It's not the number of apps that turns me off of windows devices, it's the fact that it's a very restrictive option. Nearly as bad as Apple but with less functionality
Better is the enemy of Good
Larmantine

Post by Larmantine »

DaveYanakov wrote:It's not the number of apps that turns me off of windows devices, it's the fact that it's a very restrictive option. Nearly as bad as Apple but with less functionality
Could you elaborate on what is restrictive on them? I've read something similar elsewhere, but didn't get the idea quit right.
William the tuba

Post by William the tuba »

Even iOS supports custom keyboards, but Windows Phone doesn't.

My next phone is going to be an iPhone, but if that wasn't an option, I'd stick with Android for a few more versions; the Nexus line has done me and my family quite well, and I'd probably upgrade to the Nexus 6 from my Nexus 4 sometime next year. I've heard a lot of good stuff about the Moto X, too. The bugs and lags are what they are, but Android L and the Android Runtime helps a bit.
(@Will on the discord)
Parents of young, organic life forms are warned that towels can be harmful if swallowed in large quantities.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

While I like Android, I think the phone trumps the OS, so buy whatever phone is best. The differences in OS are marginal at best imo, unless you have a very specific thing you want, like custom keyboards.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
jakerman999

Post by jakerman999 »

If windows phone os is similar at all to windows 8, I personally would avoid it all costs. They've tried to create an interface that was usable with both keyboard/mouse and with touchscreen, and as a result it feels intuitive with neither. I can't really say that I'm a fan of Android, but I can say that it's the least bad of all mobile operating systems I've yet tried.
Larmantine

Post by Larmantine »

I don't care about Apple. Iphone is just overpriced and very conservative in the design IMO.

Gods, this is so hard... The only thing similar in Windows Phone 8.1 and Windows 8.1 are the Live Tile start screen. I haven't really used W8 on my pc, but recently thought that I could give it a shot with an open mind, but I won't since W10 is on the horizon.
Anyway guys, I feel that I'm gonna change my mind again back to android, still not quit convinced, cause I wanted to try something new with WP. (not Iphone or Blackberry, gods no)

Those so in favor of Android, could you say a Lumia 930 equivalent for Android?
ion

Post by ion »

buy them both. this way you wont need to decide.
but better, instead of posting here just go over to some smartphone forums and search for your phones there. actual users of those phones may help you more.
devak

Post by devak »

Larmantine wrote: Gods, this is so hard...
OS designers and phone manufacturers are largely similar in their capacity to build their stuff. Apple is pretty much a guarantee for quality, but you also pay the price for that. Android offers more phone options. I have a Nexus 5 and it works like a charm. The OS is fast, the phone is fast, it's a great experience. I've seen IOS and it doesn't seem worse (not much experience with it).

In the end, it largely comes down to finding the right phone for the right price, and personal preference. I know that's not a whole lot of help, but i don't think the OS is the main selling point of any phone.

Lastly, if you can find a friend with either OS, you could always opt to ask and try it. Or go to the electronics store and see if you can find a try-out model. It's not the most accurate experience but IMHO the OS is mostly a thing of how it feels.
Daisjun

Post by Daisjun »

It really comes down to personal preference. I've used Android phones for the last 5 years or so and I swear by them. I love the open source nature of them and the Galaxy series is pretty unbeatable in terms of features and performance.

Last Windows phone I used was when when they were using the CE platform so I can't comment too much on them. I'm not a big fan of where they've gone with Windows 8 in general which is why when I built my latest PC I stuck with 7. I really hate the tiling system.

If you're concerned about apps and gaming then Android wins hands down.

Like I said, personal preference. If you're a fan of Windows 8, go with a Windows phone. If you like the more traditional smartphone which has endless apps and support, go Android.
sargunv
Site Admin

Post by sargunv »

If you can return for a full refund where you live, then you should buy both and keep the one you prefer. These kinds of decisions are highly subjective and depend on what you want your phone to do.
Gears

Post by Gears »

I feel bad reading through this conversation, seeing as I actually like the iPhone :/

Unfortunately, I haven't had any hands-on experience with the Windows phone, but from what I've seen from the android, it would at least give you more options and a wider selection of apps.
FlowerChild wrote:For example, I'm feeling such a whim right now, and look forward with anticipation to the feeling of satisfaction that shall come from acting upon it.
Former Drill Sergeant and cranky gamer