Simple redstone projects for the console version?

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
johnt

Simple redstone projects for the console version?

Post by johnt »

I've been playing on the xbox with my GF who likes using the console and won't play on the PC, and I've been kinda stumped thinking of ideas of a fun project for us to work on with all the redstone we have now. Every idea I have always goes like this: "Oh we could build a... no wait, that's from better than wolves." Then I just think of dumb things like putting a combination lock on the front door of the castle.

So my question to the forum is:

What are some redstone projects for the console version of minecraft that are:

A) Relatively simple to explain to a newbie
B) Do something actually useful or fun.
C) only require blocks from the console version.

The only idea I've really come up with so far is using a piston to clear out a wheat farm automatically with flowing water.
Just typing this out, I though up a auto-feeder for animals (i guess after I figure out how to do a timer in the console version)

What are some others?
RalphKastro

Re: Simple redstone projects for the console version?

Post by RalphKastro »

well, you could do very simple stuff, like a surgarcane farm/timer and a mobtrap killing device, but overall there isn't much stuff that could really make much difference with redstone in vanilla. The only things that come to mind that could really prove to be useful are a mushroom farm(for mushroom stew in case you don't have mooshrooms) and a melon/pumpkin farm. the mushroom one consists of using water gates to push all mushrooms but one and the melon/pumpkin uses a repeater to power the melon/pumpkin when it grows(to detect it).
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Sand-fed auto tree farm.

I have a thread knocking around here in off-topic from...years back? from when I got bored and decided to see what I could make in vMC, came up with that. Since I doubt I can find the thread, I'll give you the basics:

- It's made up of lots of little very similar pieces - repeater powers sand, sand powers redstone wire, wire powers pistons. Just play around pushing sand all over the place to get used to the timings (pushing up is the important bit)
- Repeaters also power newly grown trees, use that to turn it on.
- push the tree downward, so when you run out of tree the sand falls freely to reset the mechanism.

The end result looks monsterous, but it's all made up of simple pieces, and pushing sand around with pistons is fun. Well, fun as fun in vMC goes anyway.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
EtherealWrath

Post by EtherealWrath »

Look at automatic melons/pumpkin/sugar, and auto harvest for wheat ect
Its fairly simple to design, and does something cool.

A good second project would probably be a mob grinder- with divertable water to control autokill [items] and manual kill [exp].
Phantom screams echo through the ruined facility
A horrible silence builds an eerie tranquility
The souls of many innocent fill the air
The hope they all died with scattered down there