Any ideas for a sheep/farm/trap?

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
emmasteadman

Any ideas for a sheep/farm/trap?

Post by emmasteadman »

Is there is way to have a viable sheep farm that works like a mob trap?
I find myself with never enough wool :P
Stormweaver

Re: Any ideas for a sheep/farm/trap?

Post by Stormweaver »

There's not really a way you'll get more wool per sheep, but if you *do* need wool, and not fussed about where it comes from, I recommend a huge hemp farm.

2 hemp fibres make a string, and 4 string make a wool. I think. that's 1 wool for every 2 hemp plants you harvest. Hope that helps :)
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

If you watch FC's passive mob trap video, he shows that it collects wool and throws it away. I used a similar approach but also kept the wool.

You only get one wool per sheep though, so a large efficient hemp farm might be easier if you only want the wool and don't care about feathers, leather or pork.

Bear in mind that mob grinder farms may all stop working (or work much differently) in 1.8 as the spawning rules are changing.
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

Im not sure how exactly it is done, but there is a way to separate cow and sheep from pigs and chickens, so you can just kill them and leave the cows and sheep. I think you separate them by letting the chicken fall through a 1x1 hole in the stream of water, and you might be able to use a 1.5x1 to get out the pigs. if you want to to get wool the normal way.
emmasteadman

Post by emmasteadman »

Ye true the changes to how sheep drop wool, i.e 1 if killed kinda makes it unviable...I guess hemp it is then...I have more than enough of that. :)
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

walker_boh_65 wrote:Im not sure how exactly it is done, but there is a way to separate cow and sheep from pigs and chickens, so you can just kill them and leave the cows and sheep. I think you separate them by letting the chicken fall through a 1x1 hole in the stream of water, and you might be able to use a 1.5x1 to get out the pigs. if you want to to get wool the normal way.
Cows and sheep are two blocks tall, so if you have a diagonal water stream flowing under a wall of a two block high tunnel, the cows and sheep will follow the tunnel, and the pigs will go under the wall.

You can separate the chickens from the others by dropping them down a shaft with a pool of water on signs. The bigger creatures fall right through the water, but the chickens glide down and float on the water.

Not sure there is a way to sort cows and sheep, but you can easily sort their drops with hopper filters so it doesn't really matter.
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

gftweek wrote: Cows and sheep are two blocks tall, so if you have a diagonal water stream flowing under a wall of a two block high tunnel, the cows and sheep will follow the tunnel, and the pigs will go under the wall.

Not sure there is a way to sort cows and sheep, but you can easily sort their drops with hopper filters so it doesn't really matter.
im not quite sure what you mean with the diagonal water stream, do you have a way i can see this in action?
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

Not at home to build a mock up, but this video or this one might show it (I can't find the one I was thinking of).
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

gftweek wrote:Not at home to build a mock up, but this video or this one might show it (I can't find the one I was thinking of).
thanks, i see what you mean now
Caboose

Post by Caboose »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sj2QVwoh ... ideo_title

Etho came up with a rather effective way to sort passive mobs, as far as I can tell it works perfectly.

Well, aside from wolves not spawning. But I'm pretty sure that's more to do with the biome he's in rather than his setup.
KriiEiter

Post by KriiEiter »

Caboose wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sj2QVwoh ... ideo_title

Etho came up with a rather effective way to sort passive mobs, as far as I can tell it works perfectly.

Well, aside from wolves not spawning. But I'm pretty sure that's more to do with the biome he's in rather than his setup.
That's pretty sweet, though totally not worth all the work when you have BTW.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

gftweek wrote:If you watch FC's passive mob trap video, he shows that it collects wool and throws it away. I used a similar approach but also kept the wool.
I don't throw it away. It just channels it to a different collection point from my main.

Also, if you want wool, my advice is to build an aggro mob-trap and convert string. String seems to be by far the resource that is collected most by an aggro mob trap. I've got way more wool than I know what to do with from that source alone.

My passive mob-trap on the other hand, collects relatively little by comparison.
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

FlowerChild wrote:
gftweek wrote:If you watch FC's passive mob trap video, he shows that it collects wool and throws it away. I used a similar approach but also kept the wool.
I don't throw it away. It just channels it to a different collection point from my main.

Also, if you want wool, my advice is to build an aggro mob-trap and convert string. String seems to be by far the resource that is collected most by an aggro mob trap. I've got way more wool than I know what to do with from that source alone.

My passive mob-trap on the other hand, collects relatively little by comparison.
Ah, my mistake, I remembered you saying somewhere you had far too much, must have made an assumed connection there.

I guess we'd all better stock up on supplies from our mob traps while they last though, not sure how the new spawning algorithms in 1.8 are going to affect them, but they might cease to function entirely. Then again, I always have more arrows and string than I know what to do with and have stacks of glue and tallow now, I haven't even bothered trying to make my mob traps more efficient (they are smaller than a chunk each, and still produce plenty).
Urian

Post by Urian »

FlowerChild wrote: Also, if you want wool, my advice is to build an aggro mob-trap and convert string. String seems to be by far the resource that is collected most by an aggro mob trap. I've got way more wool than I know what to do with from that source alone.
Really? I get far less string than any other resource, I can often fill about two double chests for each of the other mob drops in the time it takes to fill a single chest with string.
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Urian wrote:
FlowerChild wrote: Really? I get far less string than any other resource, I can often fill about two double chests for each of the other mob drops in the time it takes to fill a single chest with string.
Interesting. Yeah, string is definitely what I get the most of, followed by bones and arrows (in about equal proportion), with gunpowder being what I get the least of (and it's probably the most useful).

Oh, I also get a ton of feathers, but I don't really count those anymore since they get directed straight to the rendering vats ;)
M!C

Post by M!C »

Urian wrote:
FlowerChild wrote: Also, if you want wool, my advice is to build an aggro mob-trap and convert string. String seems to be by far the resource that is collected most by an aggro mob trap. I've got way more wool than I know what to do with from that source alone.
Really? I get far less string than any other resource, I can often fill about two double chests for each of the other mob drops in the time it takes to fill a single chest with string.
My Trap is the same ... endless arrows, feathers and bones, almost endless gunpowder and porkchop (it's a big trap) and only a few stacks string per hour. However it somehow manages to produce all natural colours of wool, ink sacs and wolves (yes, they even walk through lava to get to me), which should be impossible with the setup I'm using.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Same for me. In the 10 minecart chests produced by my mobtrap in a few hours, I get 1 or 2 stack of string, ~40 stack of bones, about the same amount of arrows, ~20 stacks of gunpowder, and ~30 stacks of feather.
Looks like your mobtrap is more effective with spiders than ours ;)
rosstafan

Post by rosstafan »

It depends on if you use a spider separator
If you do you get more string which is what I've found compared to a conventional grinder
The list I could make of all the things this mod is better than.