Interest Check: Better Than Tomb of Horrors?

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
MaxAstro

Interest Check: Better Than Tomb of Horrors?

Post by MaxAstro »

Any old school D&D or Pathfinder fans around these parts?

I recently found myself converting the infamous killer dungeon, the Tomb of Horrors, to the Pathfinder ruleset. In the process, it struck me how much the dungeon's "learn by dying" philosophy reminds me of Better Than Wolves. So I thought I'd see if anyone here was interested in me running the dungeon as a play-by-post.

I'm currently running it for two groups face-to-face as a sort of competition to see which group can make it farthest into the dungeon. Surely you guys, with your extensive experience overcoming the murderfest that is BTW, would be more suited to the task than my random IRL friends who don't even play Better Than Wolves. :p

So, any takers? Anyone here think they are Better Than the Tomb of Horrors?
"In the near future, the apocalypse has had an apocalypse."
Rob

Re: Interest Check: Better Than Tomb of Horrors?

Post by Rob »

I've never played D&D or pathfinder. So I'd probably die instantly. :P

Good luck!
ryoloth

Post by ryoloth »

A D&D session of this sounds kind of awesome, and I would love to do something like that! Though I'm not familiar with the pathfinder ruleset.
"we haven't had a fight since the last one" -Atold 2016
Azdoine

Post by Azdoine »

This piques my interest!
danielngtiger

Post by danielngtiger »

I'm not especially experienced in Pathfinder, though I have played a bit with it. I would be interested if something like this were to happen.
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright before you hear them speak.
abculatter_2

Post by abculatter_2 »

Rob wrote:I've never played D&D or pathfinder. So I'd probably die instantly. :P

Good luck!
This is exactly why I want to join these shenanigans.

I will paint the dungeon red with my own blood and gore!
MaxAstro

Post by MaxAstro »

Okay, sounds like there is enough interest for me to do this. It also sounds like most of you aren't familiar with Pathfinder, though. Is anyone familiar with 3.5 Dungeons and Dragons? The Pathfinder ruleset is very similar, and if you are experienced with 3.5 you will probably be able to pick up Pathfinder intuitively.

The complete Pathfinder rules are available on this website: http://www.d20pfsrd.com

To get started, I would suggest you look through the available classes; in the "Classes" section on the left of the site, look under the "Core Classes" and "Base Classes" sections. Ignore alternate classes and prestige classes for now. Find a class whose description catches your interest, and I will talk you through creating a character of that class.

Daniel, if you have enough experience to be comfortable creating a character on your own feel free; we will be using 20 point buy, 9th level characters.
Adenine

Post by Adenine »

Any idea how you would run this MaxAstro? And is there still room for one more?
abculatter_2

Post by abculatter_2 »

Adenine wrote:Any idea how you would run this MaxAstro?
Yeah, will this be an in-forum thing? Or what? EDIT: First post says it'll be play-by-post.

Also, unless someone else wants to, totally going alchemist. Mad science FTW!
If someone else wants to be an alchemist, then I'll go oracle. Because cursed powers are always !!FUN!!

Actually, I just thought: We will all be in one group, right? Or will we also be getting the competition setup?
MaxAstro

Post by MaxAstro »

Ideally I am looking for 4 players. I'm not sure exactly how many I have right now... 5 is okay, too, though.

Play-by-post is my plan, yes.

Everyone will be in one group. You are competing against the two groups I ran this dungeon for in person.

Because this would be a very short dungeon if it ended when a majority of the players died once, everyone will have three lives. If you want, you can make three different characters. Or you can play the same character, three times - apparently, you have a twin brother or two. Or a twin cousin. Or a cousin that's also a brother? (In joke, sorry)

Couple restrictions on characters:

-No Summoners.
-If you play a spellcaster that is not a Summoner, but focuses a lot on summoning, you will probably regret it.
-Please don't twink your Perception or Disable Device to obnoxious levels - that's not really in the spirit of the dungeon. Or other cheesy tactics like stuffing the rest of the party into a bag of holding and burrowing through the dungeon walls. Be creative, but not abusive, please. :)
-There is no rule against playing a min/maxed character in general, but the general consensus is that playing a less optimized character is more fun. Or at least more !FUN!...
Elusivehawk

Post by Elusivehawk »

I have just one question: Which communication system will you use? IRC, PM, Skype, what?
MaxAstro

Post by MaxAstro »

PM, most likely, with optional AIM or Yahoo or w/e if needed. The actual game will be entirely play-by-post.
Elusivehawk

Post by Elusivehawk »

MaxAstro wrote:PM, most likely, with optional AIM or Yahoo or w/e if needed. The actual game will be entirely play-by-post.
Ah, OK, count me in then.
MaxAstro

Post by MaxAstro »

Okay, I don't want to clutter up off-topic with a bunch of threads, so we'll just keep using this thread for setup stuff.

Abculatter, you said you wanted to play an Alchemist, right?

Could everyone else post their class preferences here? Then I'll send out a wave of PMs with character creation information.
ryoloth

Post by ryoloth »

I was thinking of either playing a fighter or a wizard, depending on what the rest of the party wanted/needed
"we haven't had a fight since the last one" -Atold 2016
abculatter_2

Post by abculatter_2 »

MaxAstro wrote:Okay, I don't want to clutter up off-topic with a bunch of threads, so we'll just keep using this thread for setup stuff.

Abculatter, you said you wanted to play an Alchemist, right?

Could everyone else post their class preferences here? Then I'll send out a wave of PMs with character creation information.
Yes. Or an oracle, if everyone else wants to be magic, which seems likely.
Elusivehawk

Post by Elusivehawk »

Since it was #2 on my list when I threw it into a RNG, and I don't really want to be a Cleric, I'll choose Fighter.
danielngtiger

Post by danielngtiger »

I would like to be a wizard. I can also be a cleric, if necessary.

My internet access will be spotty for the next 2 days, but after that I'll be ready.
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright before you hear them speak.
MaxAstro

Post by MaxAstro »

Just a heads up that I am super busy the next few days, and may not have time to get those PMs out. Might happen tomorrow morning, otherwise more likely Friday evening.