Castle Gate Help

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Damion Rayne

Castle Gate Help

Post by Damion Rayne »

So I'm building a rather large castle in my next world and I want my front castle gate to actually, well work a little like a freight elevator. It's hard to explain but I'm looking for input on how to make it so that with a press of a button I have two pieces of the gate one that goes up and one that lowers and they mesh together. Anyone got any input?
[TG-18th] Damion Rayne
TG Instructor
Developer Relations
Content Development
"Teamwork, Maturity, Tactics, http://www.tacticalgamer.com"
Vongard

Re: Castle Gate Help

Post by Vongard »

Damion Rayne wrote:So I'm building a rather large castle in my next world and I want my front castle gate to actually, well work a little like a freight elevator. It's hard to explain but I'm looking for input on how to make it so that with a press of a button I have two pieces of the gate one that goes up and one that lowers and they mesh together. Anyone got any input?
The way the gate code is now i dont think this is possible.
what would be cool is if gates were coded to not be pulled when powered with redstone =P
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

You'd have to use pistons for the bottom (probably lots and lots of redstone if you wanted it more than 1 block high, and they'd move at different speeds and look odd.

You could do as someone else had a video of, and have a portcullis with spikes:

where p is platform, g is ground

Code: Select all

ppppp
ppppp
p p p

_g_g_ 
ggggg
Damion Rayne

Post by Damion Rayne »

I think someone had a video on here where he had two platforms and had one set to lower and one set to raise at the same time, so they melded together.
[TG-18th] Damion Rayne
TG Instructor
Developer Relations
Content Development
"Teamwork, Maturity, Tactics, http://www.tacticalgamer.com"
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

I suppose you could if you had something like below:

P=pulley
p=platform
r=rope
g=ground level

Code: Select all

--P   P--
P r   r P
r ppppp r
r ppppp r
r  p p  r
r       r
r p p p rgggg
ppppppppp
ppppppppp
Glox

Post by Glox »

Make something like this:
Wood = platform, 1 layer behind this layer
Log = platform on this layer with an anchor directly above it
Brick = pulley
Bedrock = pulley
The 2 Gold blocks mark where the gate will split open. So everything above or at the same level as the upper gold block will move upwards, everything else will move downwards.

(At the right of the dirt wall is a sideway view)

The bricks are the pulleys that operate the upper part of the gate. If the button is pressed or whatever, those pulleys will start pulling up.
The bedrocks are the pulleys that operate the lower part. When the button is pressed they should start lowering their platforms.
Obviously the pulleys must be placed high above the gate so that there is enough room to reel in the upper part of the gate.

Note: When closing the gate, the bedrock pulleys that control the lower gate must be powered with redstone right before the gate is fully closed. If you don't do this, the ropes of those pulleys will break since the movement of the platforms they are pulling up will be blocked by the upper part of the gate. Once the gate is fully closed, that redstone signal may be turned of again.
Mrchaim

Post by Mrchaim »

The way that leaps to mind for me is to take advantage of how the pulley mechanics work.

A pulley can lift a 3 high x 5 wide area (With the pulley in the middle for the 5 wide). So what you want to do is create a staggred gate - the bottom layer that pulls "up" when it closes would be 3x6, with the pulleys on the end of each half. And then just a 3x4 for the top half the of the "gate" that pulls up. Add some nice stone to hide the rope work & some redstone or similar clever wizardy (should be pretty simple) to alternate the mechincal power to each half, and bam!

Glox's suggestion is also a really good one, and would be much better than my own idea for a truly huge gate. The one concern i'd have is getting the gate to pull up in synch, but that's just depend on where the gearboxes are placed and how long yer willing to wait for the gate to respond to being told to open and lower - and if it's for asthetic rather than practial purposes, then there's probably not too much of a problem.

Hope that helps!
Glox

Post by Glox »

Mrchaim wrote:
A pulley can lift a 3 high x 5 wide area (With the pulley in the middle for the 5 wide).
Thats not true, it's a 5x5x5 area. Offcourse you have to leave room for the anchor and ropes, but you can definatly pull up a 5 high area, like this:

- - R
- - R

p p R p p
p p A p p
p p p p p
p p p p p
p p p p p

R= rope
A = anchor
p = platform
Mrchaim

Post by Mrchaim »

Glox wrote:
Thats not true, it's a 5x5x5 area.

Derp, you're quite right. I was completely forgetting that so long as the pulley is lifting the central area, it can take an additional 2 platforms in any direction. Thankee for pointing that out.