How to Gain Courage to Progress

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Shadowhawk36

How to Gain Courage to Progress

Post by Shadowhawk36 »

Hello all you guys. I've just been wondering, how do you all personally gain the strength, courage, and incentive to progress in BTW? I always feel like when I get to somewhat mid-game, with renewable iron/diamond tools, and a good source of renewable food, wood, and other supplies, that there is no real incentive to move forward. There is the obvious things like getting more hibachis, or finding a village, getting to the End, SFS, ect.

For me, it always seems to be lack of creativity and general care. Better Than Wolves has definitely changed my gaming orientation around for the better, and I know I can handle all that it entails, but how do you personally deal with the threat of the Nether, of exploring, of venturing out without missing your humble abode (that's given me a huge sense of cabin fever, which is why I need all you guys' and gals' help :P)

Do you simply advance forward due to your thinking? Or perhaps is it the lack of time to play? For me, I have a more limited time to play than before, but I still do have a good amount of time to play to the point where its not necessarily a "Ok, I have to time-manage this so that I can continue on my schedule" like Charlie & Vioki were struggling with a little bit ago (even more-so than the average LPer)
I will definitely appreciate all your kind thoughts on this either tonight or after a nice rest :)
Dorugami

Re: How to Gain Courage to Progress

Post by Dorugami »

two things: efficiency, and aesthetics.
Better Than Wolves isn't a Mod. It's a Lifestyle.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Recording it as a 'Let's Play' series on the YouTubes! :D
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

Mob traps. I have an obsession with finishing a mob trap that can process every over world mob. Obviously that requires vine traps, which requires a vine farm, and a water supply. And I want it above ground to look cool so I need water pumps. And I need gold for the gearboxes which drives me to a mob farm in the nether. So on and so forth with auto cow farms and Dung for the saws needed for the vine farm. So on and so forth.
Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

Yeah I feel the same about farming, I like building big ass machines, and the best way to do that is to get SFS
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Rob wrote:Recording it as a 'Let's Play' series on the YouTubes! :D
This. Streaming is fun.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
hawk

Post by hawk »

The challenge is what brought me to the game in the first place. The challenge, the rewarding/well designed game play, and my need for completion is what required me to start a new game just so that I can get to The End the right way this time. Basically, I take the attitude that, through Better than Wolves, FlowerChild is trying to break me. While I personally like and admire the guy, there's no way in hell I'm letting that nipple hair braiding bastard beat me. :P ...and one of these days I'm going to make a Hearty Stew..
PatriotBob

Post by PatriotBob »

Gilberreke wrote:
This. Streaming is fun.
I tried that... My wife informed me that it was likely to affect her affections for me, so i stopped after a few episodes.

I am starting to think I was played...
Shadowhawk36

Post by Shadowhawk36 »

Dorugami wrote:two things: efficiency, and aesthetics.
Simple and yet very driving. Thank you.
SterlingRed wrote:Mob traps.
mob traps
mob traps
I need to make a mob trap
Mob traps are so troubling for me. I absolutely love their use for that, but I feel as if the making of one is so daunting. Anyone have any good hints for as to how to start getting into mob traps? I haven't ever made one (However, I know a simple one is a huge box with layers leading down to a nice collection point.) and would like to take on this project in the Overworld to start with.
You lucky bastard. Dial-up sucks. I'll still watch them other places though :D

In general though, thank you all for the feedback. I'm going to try and build a mob trap and focus on the aesthetics for some watchtowers and a nice milling tower. Sometimes I need a little driving force to get me to these conclusions :P
hawk

Post by hawk »

Anyone have any good hints for as to how to start getting into mob traps?
There is an previous topic on these forums that helped me greatly in making my first one. A search should bring it up. A few levels of the four 8X8 pads with a two wide "plus sign" of vine traps worked great for me and it is pretty simple to do the plumbing. Just remember to light up everything you can around your trap to up your efficiency.

Good luck!
RalphKastro

Post by RalphKastro »

I usually just go building and automating until I notice that I need to progress technologically in order to build my next project
Sandrew

Post by Sandrew »

I found that the best way to start out with mob traps is to try and figure out a fast way to dispose of mobs that fall into your collection area. It got me to work out water-flow and by extension to figure out an efficient way of setting up spawn platforms.
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Don't worry OP, I often have a similar issue, sometimes taking a break is the best thing.
MaxAstro

Post by MaxAstro »

For me, the dream of one day having an automated soulforged steel factory is enough to keep me going. I was ~almost~ there pre-Harcore Everything; now I'm not even close (actually I just had to start a new world due to losing my old one in a move), but I'm still doggedly determined.
"In the near future, the apocalypse has had an apocalypse."
Magnas

Post by Magnas »

A combination of desire to explore and figuring out what's next is enough for me. The challenge and the curiosity is enough to motivate me to move forward. The fact that so much is locked off to you in the beginning is enough to make me want to move forward. I personally wanna unlock higher techs just so I can see what I'll create.

I had a lot of issues in the early days, since my default idea was to go to strip mining. Watching Vioki and Charley gave me an idea of how to approach it, luckily. I'm psyched to know that I can start a new world and continue properly, now. I was holding off on recording or anything until the changes were largely finalized. With the latest patch, I have no excuse.
razar51

Post by razar51 »

I enjoy building large and complex machines/contraptions. In order to get to the point of mass producing the components required for these machines, I have to progress through the tech tree and explore the world.
DreamsofFury

Post by DreamsofFury »

I learned having a room mate say "do it faggot" while I'm sitting there mumbling on about how I really dont wanna do something helps.

Also randomly streaming though I have yet broke 5 viewers yet.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

DreamsofFury wrote:I learned having a room mate say "do it faggot" while I'm sitting there mumbling on about how I really dont wanna do something helps.
Ummm...dude. Haven't had to ban anyone for homophobic bullshit in quite awhile now.

Given that was probably one of the worst incidents the forums have seen I'm very tempted to make it immediately permanent, but given you've been a forum member for a long time without it happening before will make it a month for now.

Still man...yeesh.
Shadowhawk36

Post by Shadowhawk36 »

I'm liking all this stuff :D I'm going to try and automate some things, and just mess around with building a mob trap. Hopefully I can find some little hints on the internet, but I'll leave the actual designing fun to myself ;)

But for now, I must head to the Nether. Wish me all luck trying to find a village!